Lip Synching Technique

wes

Reaction score
I can't Access Google video from work they block that site but i could use, youtube.

incase anyone needs to know heres the link
http://youtube.com

Oh' and we need to start a new thread in fan art so we don't Muffin (i hope i used the term Correctly) this thread anymore!!

Kiki

Reaction score
MeepBorkMeep said:
Personally, my favorite part of puppets right now is lip synching to real songs. Anyone else here like to do that? What are some of your favorite songs to lip synch to? Do you have any techniques? Come. Share. Learn. :wink:
Yeah, now that you've menchioned it I do like to lip-synch to songs. Any song rully that I know, whatever's handy, I know heaps of words to heaps of songs!

Anita The Great

Reaction score
I think practicing lip-synch techniques using songs is a great way to grasp the basics. Sometimes, for beginners, trying to think of what you're going to say AND moving your puppet's mouth around, whilst trying to keep good eye focus and personality, can be too much! So, I strongly advocate playing around with music--especially songs you know very well! It just removes an element from your mind, you don't really have to concentrate on WHAT you're saying/singing, since you know it so well, and you can spend more time on HOW you're saying/singing instead!

My personal favorite? The "African Alphabet" song from Sesame Street. Anytime I play that, my hands start moving on their own!

MeepBorkMeep

Reaction score
I agree, AnitaTheGreat. I've been lip synching for about three years, and now I can do it without even thinking. In fact, I can do it to songs and voice demos I don't know, because it's become so subconscious. Definitely a big skill for puppeteers.

RubbeRoomStudio

Reaction score
That would be an excellent idea... 10 second club... i think that might help. i've been working on my lip synching for a month or so now... i try to do it with everything... one of the next steps would be proper hand manipulation along with the synching. right?

wes

Reaction score
10 second club

We had a 10 sec club going here for a bit until my work block youtube and google video there's a 10 second puppetry group at youtbe but i can acess it. It would be great if some one took it over!!! hint hint hint!! nuhg nuhg nuhg!!!:smile:

Punch'n'Judy

Reaction score
Am currently in the early stages of writing a book on puppet manipulation, covering a range of puppetry styles, based on a series of interviews with puppeteers. The Muppet style/lip sync/glove and rod puppets (call it what you will) will feature heavily.

J

biblebetty

Reaction score
when your practicing your mouth movements (without the puppet) cross your first two fingers lift your arm up over your head (like you are performing behind the curtain) crossing your fingers forces the top of your hand down and the only thing you can move is your thumb. it help to keep the top part of your hand stable and all the movment is on the bottom. hope this helps.:smile:

MeepBorkMeep

Reaction score
Wow, biblebetty, that really does help. Thanks. However, sometimes, in my belief, for certain puppets, it's good for the top part of the head to move the slightest bit, so it doesn't just look like the bottom jaw is flapping, more like the voice is being pushed out of the "vocal chords".