Little Shop of Horrors - Memphis, TN

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
This is a little late news about Little Shop:

Obviously you can tell that they came through Memphis, and I have to tell you now that if an opportunity arises you HAVE GOT TO GO SEE THIS PLAY!
That is, if you're a fan at all. Then again, one of my friends, who didn't know anything about it, went and he is now a fan of the show! As a matter of fact, he went to pick up our tickets at the theater and arrived just after the local news did a story on the show and got a photo of himself with the plant! That makes me GREEN with envy. :smile:

But, it won him over as a fan, so it was worth it.

I've seen the movie, then a stage production in Covington, TN, then the original black-n-white film starring Jack Nicholson as The Dentist, and then this production, and I'm mixed between the movie and the stage show because the performance of the plant you seen in the movie is exampled in this stage show. The movements, the voice, even the giant hydraulic plant all have perfectly synched mouth movements.

The music was wonderful, and the voices were clear (too many times the music overpowers the actors' voices--but, unfortunately, never does that at an opera).

The stage sets were awesome, too, and there were very few that were used. There was a border along the side of the stage, the shop, an alley, and (as they say in the action figure industry) a mini-environment of the dentist's office.

I've been inspired by this play to go ahead with the performance of my own Audrey II puppet doing "Feed Me" with a pal of mine who'll play Seymour during the costume/performance contest at this year's MidSouthCon (a local comic book/scifi convention). We're working out the details now.

Finally, because I know there'll be a LOT of people wanting to see this that can't, I grabbed up, like about 10 I think, some of the showbills (programs, has a color photo of the play poster on cover) and show fliers (has color photos in it), and if anybody wants one just send a $2.00 postage paid self addressed envelope to me. Be sure the envelope is at LEAST 8x10". I'll drop the goods in there and send it off to ya:

Kevin L. Williams-LSOH
POB 750823
Memphis, TN 38175-0823

Just wanna spread the love...
~K