1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Little things we've noticed

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by minor muppetz, Aug 18, 2009.

1. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

However, he played central characters on the Muppet Show, mainly Scooter and Statler who appeared in nearly every episode. Then Beaker and Janice became well-known too, so it must have been worth the wait.

I agree that it's a shame that he never had a breakout star on SS like Elmo, Cookie Monster, or Big Bird. His biggest claims to fame are probably Don Music, Forgetful Jones, Placido Flamingo, and Gladys the Cow.

2. sesamemuppetfan

sesamemuppetfan Well-Known Member

I know he didn't speak much, but what about Sully?

3. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

So, I've actually trained myself to notice puppetry movement with some of my favorite puppeteers, and here's one thing I've noticed.

Is it just me, or does Richard Hunt tend to bop his character's heads side to side.... At least when singing?

4. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I think I know what you're talking about; there's no singing, but I notice a distinction in the head and mouth movements in this clip:

I've noticed some people commenting on various different YouTube clips that Jim has a tendancy to "curl" the head on certain syllables, and I think I myself have a problem with that that I'm trying to break the habit of.

5. LittleJerry92

I actually noticed Jim tends to away his characters side to side as he sings.

6. D'Snowth

They just about all do that when they sing. :p

7. LittleJerry92

Nah, but I notice it more distinctly with Jim if anything.

8. LittleJerry92

Here's one thing I actually noticed and wonder from "A Cookie is a Sometime Food."

How in the world did Kevin manage to get those high notes with such a graspy voice? I can't imagine his throat not being soar after singing that.

9. D'Snowth

Here's one that I'm surprised got by me. So, you know that backdrop that was behind the fence between Hooper's and 123 in Season 1?

[​IMG]

Well, apparently from Season 2 to 29, that backdrop was between the carriage house and 123. It's always hard to see because the two building used to sit so close together during those years, but I kind of recognized the windows in the backdrop.

10. D'Snowth

I've noticed that Steve Whitmire had a tendancy to emphasize the Henson Punch in his lip syncing by "punching" the head and mouth forward while speaking; it's particularly noticable with Kermit.

11. D'Snowth

Here's something new I've just recently noticed:

So, whoever is performing the green DJ isn't doing that good a job, up until the last refrain, then suddenly the performance improves to the point it almost seems like a completely different performer stepped in at the last minute and switched.

12. LittleJerry92

I noticed that myself.

And actually, I noticed towards the end you can see the bottom of the Harvey Monster puppet a few times.

13. D'Snowth

I think you can also see the bottom of the puppet at one point in "We're All Monsters." I think this may have been before the puppets had "socks" or "sleeves" or whatever you want to call them.

14. LittleJerry92

On a random note, it's actually sad that this is one of the few pre-Elmo clips Sesame Workshop is willing to release.... Since, you know, he doesn't speak. :rolleyes:

15. D'Snowth

Well, we did get "Me, Claudius" on the 40 years DVD.

16. LittleJerry92

I honestly feel like we're just lucky to get that clip since it was the first Monsterpiece Theater skit.

Sesame Workshop otherwise hasn't shown much interest in putting put other clips of pre-Elmo cause we can't confuse the children! Right?

17. D'Snowth

True. I mean, home video inclusions of "We're All Monsters" has Kevin dubbing Jerry's Elmo lines, and even so, recent VHS and DVD releases of BIG BIRD IN CHINA has Marty dubbing Brian's Telly (which I really don't mind, because Brian's Telly could really get whiney to the point of being annoying).

18. LittleJerry92

And on another point, only one Gleep (green Grover) clip has seen a commercial release.... In the case of the first and last skit.

Sometimes I can't help but wonder if that was just uploaded to represent what the skit was originally like (since the remake was also uploaded).

19. LittleJerry92

You know what I find very odd?

In "Silly Song Time", every character except for the pink guy is a hippie.

[​IMG]

And on another note, since the same group of characters appeared in the skit with the Frank Oz-voiced Hot Pink Anything Muppet boy demonstrating "forwards and backwards", I noticed the Little Jerry look-alike hippie doesn't have a face at all.

20. D'Snowth

Are there any other known occasions where the Arbor fence is busted like in "That Furry Blue Mommy of Mine"? It's driving me crazy for some reason.