Little things we've noticed

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Here's a little thing I've noticed.

Apparently episode 12 is "lost" just because it didn't leak back in 2014 and because the "intelligent" fans said so, right? *Sarcastic laugh*

Sorry, had to get this off my chest after seeing this video (which the first half of is inaccurate anyway; had this been done back in 09/10, I would have completely agreed with it), cause I myself am just sick of these dumb*** fans acting like they know everything about everything when it comes to Sesame Workshop:

wiley207

Reaction score
I don't know if it's just me, but I noticed Jim Henson performed a LOT of Large Lavender Live Hand Anything Muppet minor/one-off characters.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I almost feel like Jim had a preference for performing glove puppets over rod puppets, considering a majority of his regular characters were just that: Ernie, Rowlf, Dr. Teeth.

At the same time, I get the feeling Marty Robinson is more accustomed to glove hands as well, because whenever he does rod characters (like Ole MacDonald, for example), the hand and arm movements always look really exaggerated and odd.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Jim certainly did perform alot of the large lavender Muppets.

But hey, they are probably easier to operate.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Am I the only one who's noticed in the song "Fat Cat", Jerry Nelson is the only one who actually, well... Sings? (Excluding Bip's fast-paced scats).

Not that it really matters, just something I've noticed.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Not that, but I have noticed that Jim's vocal track for the lavender AM is noticably sped-up during the first portion.

But then again, like I've said before, I've noticed in "I'm Between," the green AM's voice goes from sounding like a distressed Nigel the Conductor up until the line, "Oh there's a monster on my left side," then he sounds like a nervous Ernie for the rest of the song.

cjd874

Reaction score
I don't know if it's just me, but I noticed Jim Henson performed a LOT of Large Lavender Live Hand Anything Muppet minor/one-off characters.
Let's not forget these other classic bits with Jim Henson performing a Live-Hand Muppet.

However, I've noticed that Jerry Nelson's Lavender Live-hand Muppets became quite famous. Jim seemed to do mostly one-shot characters, while Jerry's characters included the Count, Biff, the Amazing Mumford, and Rodeo Rosie.

cjd874

Reaction score
I almost feel like Jim had a preference for performing glove puppets over rod puppets, considering a majority of his regular characters were just that: Ernie, Rowlf, Dr. Teeth.

At the same time, I get the feeling Marty Robinson is more accustomed to glove hands as well, because whenever he does rod characters (like Ole MacDonald, for example), the hand and arm movements always look really exaggerated and odd.
I can see why...live-hand Muppets are more expressive than rod Muppets for the most part. They can pick up objects, count on their hands, point, and do things that rod Muppets can't do as easily.

I feel like the breakdown is this: the Sesame performers who did or have done live-hand puppets most often were Jim (Ernie), Jerry (the Count/Herry Monster), Martin Robinson (Telly), and David Rudman (Baby Bear/Cookie Monster). Frank (Bert/Grover/Lefty), Fran (Zoe/Prairie), Kevin Clash (Elmo/Natasha), and Leslie Rudolph (Abby) did the rod puppets.

On the Muppet Show, the main live-hand characters (Fozzie, Swedish Chef, Lew Zealand) were played by Jim, Frank, and Jerry, while Dave, Richard, and Steve usually handled rod puppets like Gonzo, Scooter, Janice, and Rizzo. However, it's safe to say that all these performers were/are extremely comfortable with any kind of puppet given to them.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Has anyone besides me ever noticed how in the Big Barney Western skit, the bartender just disappears... Literally dipping down off the screen and then all the cowboys talk to nothing when they ask for drinks? I always found it funny.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
One thing I've noticed about the Bert puppets of the 70s is that he's always got distinctive creases in his face, such as one puppet has a crease running in between his eyes, and another puppet has one that runs above his upper mouth. I feel like they're somehow tied to his eyebrow mech.