1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Monday August 6 on PBS. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Dismiss Notice

Little things we've noticed

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by minor muppetz, Aug 18, 2009.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Yeah, in an alternate universe where Gina went through an 80s punk rocker chick phase and then ended up becoming a lady cop and mommy.

LittleJerry92 likes this.
  2. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Y'know, I could actually almost picture her going through a punk stage.

Meanwhile, Emilio Delgado has played at least two different Native Americans, and at least one Italian.

LittleJerry92 likes this.
  3. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

And let's not forget that Roscoe Orman played the main character (a flamboyant pimp) in the film Willie Dynamite before being cast as Gordon!

4. Pig's Laundry

Oddly enough, I think on the soap opera he left to be on SST he played a very similar role to Willie Dynamite. I guess he figured he could either be a positive role model in kids' lives or play pimps and bank robbers for the rest of his life. I think he made the right choice.

cjd874 likes this.
  5. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Willie Dynamite is such a great movie! You guys should definitely check it out if you haven't already.

And yes, some of Allison's roles outside of Sesame Street made her look really bad***!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  6. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

I watched the ABC special It's Only Rock and Roll, and to your point, Allison was a real bad-*** in this one. In this film, she played the lead singer for a teenage band called Hallie's Comet (go to 16:36 for the good stuff). Check it out in the link below.

7. Pig's Laundry

I watched about the first 20 minutes of the video and actually liked it. I mean, sure it's cheesy but, it's an After School special, of course it's cheesy.
    I wonder who dubbed for Alison's singing voice, because that definitely wasn't her voice, lol.

8. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Well, over the years, the show has had scores of recurring characters, many of whom don't/didn't appear in every episode, and back in the old days there were about 130 hour-long episodes a season, making it a little harder to really know if a character was still on.

For some reason, during season 25, I noticed that Bruno didn't seem to be around anymore, and didn't really notice the lack of any other characters. And it seems his appearances in his heyday were few and far between (for a long time the number of episodes/inserts I knew he was in could probably be counted on one hand - and the wiki had info on plenty of '80s episodes, even if that number has greatly expanded - and the amount of known episodes with Bruno is still kinda small even if it has grown). I didn't really notice Richard Hunt's characters being reduced to inserts (but at the time I didn't know what Sesame Street characters Richard Hunt performed - I kid you not, the only recurring character I knew he performed was "one of the Monotones", having seen it in the performer listings of the tenth anniversary album. At at the time I didn't know who Little Jerry and the Monotones were or what they looked like or if I'd seen them before). Of course I think inserts starring Forgetful Jones, Gladys the Cow, and Placedo Flamingo were frequently airing.

But then in season 30, I actually noticed many characters not appearing anymore, or at least being seen a lot less than before, whether in new material or old inserts. And I'm not just talking about "around the corner" characters. Of course when season 30 aired, I was able to watch the show every day (before, when I had a babysitter, I wasn't always able to watch whatever I wanted to watch, so my Sesame Street viewing was a little limited), but I noticed that season we barely saw (if at all) Kermit, Guy Smiley, Sherlock Hemlock, Lefty the Salesman, Simon Soundman, Biff and Sully, Grundgetta, or Forgetful Jones, but I had recalled seeing them in what season 29 episodes I caught before season 30 (and then when some season 29 episodes aired during pledge drive season and again when the "Slimey to the moon" storyarc was rerun in the weeks before season 31 premiered, I saw a lot of these characters again, some quite a bit).

9. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to make up conspiracy theories or anything, but um....

With what happened to past events like the Chris Brown skit being pulled due to his confrontation with Rihanna, I was thinking if it was possible the same thing might happen to Bill Cosby clips ever seeing the light of day again.

10. hooperfan

hooperfan Well-Known Member

I don't think Cosby clips would be recycled anyway. Not necessarily because of his current stature but the clips date back to 1970

11. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I think he meant more of whether they'd avoid including it online or on a video compilation (hopefully they won't cut it if they ever release an episode with one of those segments) or leave out of something like an anniversary retrospective. I had wondered whether this has made Sesame Workshop avoid any further releases/broadcasts of the original Electric Company.

Of course I thought Sesame Workshop uploaded one Bill Cosby clip onto its YouTube channel, I just searched to see and judging from the first page of search results it seems like either they didn't or they pulled it. Yeah, there's more search pages, but it seems clips officially uploaded by Sesame Workshop tend to show up on the first page results (and I think SW only uploaded one Bill Cosby clip if they did).

Of course, The Jim Henson Company hasn't removed any Cosby clips they uploaded from the 20th anniversary special.

12. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

Many of the SS episodes from the 1970s featured multiple characters played by one performer. I looked through some of the Muppet Wiki episode guides for SS Seasons 5-7, and in these episodes the street scenes often involved Muppets played by Frank Oz and Jerry Nelson, alongside Caroll Spinney's Big Bird and Oscar. It makes sense to vary the routine for the performers, writers, and ultimately the audience so that nobody worked with/saw only Big Bird and Oscar day after day (not that there's anything majorly wrong with that).

This makes me wonder if the writers wrote material based on the Muppeteers' availability. For example, if Frank Oz was around for a week of taping, did this affect what got written, rehearsed, and filmed? How did they decide whether to have Frank perform Cookie Monster, Bert, Grover, or (going out on a limb) Harvey Kneeslapper? The same would apply to Jerry and occasionally Jim and Richard, I suppose.