1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 18th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Christmas Shopping
    Support Muppet Central and get great deals for everyone on your list! From Blu-rays and DVDs to Plush and Toys to Collector's Books you'll find something for everyone.

4. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Little things we've noticed

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by minor muppetz, Aug 18, 2009.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Yeah, in an alternate universe where Gina went through an 80s punk rocker chick phase and then ended up becoming a lady cop and mommy.

LittleJerry92 likes this.
  2. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Y'know, I could actually almost picture her going through a punk stage.

Meanwhile, Emilio Delgado has played at least two different Native Americans, and at least one Italian.

3. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

And let's not forget that Roscoe Orman played the main character (a flamboyant pimp) in the film Willie Dynamite before being cast as Gordon!

4. Pig's Laundry

Oddly enough, I think on the soap opera he left to be on SST he played a very similar role to Willie Dynamite. I guess he figured he could either be a positive role model in kids' lives or play pimps and bank robbers for the rest of his life. I think he made the right choice.

cjd874 likes this.
  5. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Willie Dynamite is such a great movie! You guys should definitely check it out if you haven't already.

And yes, some of Allison's roles outside of Sesame Street made her look really bad***!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  6. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

I watched the ABC special It's Only Rock and Roll, and to your point, Allison was a real bad-*** in this one. In this film, she played the lead singer for a teenage band called Hallie's Comet (go to 16:36 for the good stuff). Check it out in the link below.

7. Pig's Laundry

I watched about the first 20 minutes of the video and actually liked it. I mean, sure it's cheesy but, it's an After School special, of course it's cheesy.
    I wonder who dubbed for Alison's singing voice, because that definitely wasn't her voice, lol.

8. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Well, over the years, the show has had scores of recurring characters, many of whom don't/didn't appear in every episode, and back in the old days there were about 130 hour-long episodes a season, making it a little harder to really know if a character was still on.

For some reason, during season 25, I noticed that Bruno didn't seem to be around anymore, and didn't really notice the lack of any other characters. And it seems his appearances in his heyday were few and far between (for a long time the number of episodes/inserts I knew he was in could probably be counted on one hand - and the wiki had info on plenty of '80s episodes, even if that number has greatly expanded - and the amount of known episodes with Bruno is still kinda small even if it has grown). I didn't really notice Richard Hunt's characters being reduced to inserts (but at the time I didn't know what Sesame Street characters Richard Hunt performed - I kid you not, the only recurring character I knew he performed was "one of the Monotones", having seen it in the performer listings of the tenth anniversary album. At at the time I didn't know who Little Jerry and the Monotones were or what they looked like or if I'd seen them before). Of course I think inserts starring Forgetful Jones, Gladys the Cow, and Placedo Flamingo were frequently airing.

But then in season 30, I actually noticed many characters not appearing anymore, or at least being seen a lot less than before, whether in new material or old inserts. And I'm not just talking about "around the corner" characters. Of course when season 30 aired, I was able to watch the show every day (before, when I had a babysitter, I wasn't always able to watch whatever I wanted to watch, so my Sesame Street viewing was a little limited), but I noticed that season we barely saw (if at all) Kermit, Guy Smiley, Sherlock Hemlock, Lefty the Salesman, Simon Soundman, Biff and Sully, Grundgetta, or Forgetful Jones, but I had recalled seeing them in what season 29 episodes I caught before season 30 (and then when some season 29 episodes aired during pledge drive season and again when the "Slimey to the moon" storyarc was rerun in the weeks before season 31 premiered, I saw a lot of these characters again, some quite a bit).

9. LittleJerry92

I'm not trying to make up conspiracy theories or anything, but um....

With what happened to past events like the Chris Brown skit being pulled due to his confrontation with Rihanna, I was thinking if it was possible the same thing might happen to Bill Cosby clips ever seeing the light of day again.

10. hooperfan

hooperfan Well-Known Member

I don't think Cosby clips would be recycled anyway. Not necessarily because of his current stature but the clips date back to 1970

11. minor muppetz

I think he meant more of whether they'd avoid including it online or on a video compilation (hopefully they won't cut it if they ever release an episode with one of those segments) or leave out of something like an anniversary retrospective. I had wondered whether this has made Sesame Workshop avoid any further releases/broadcasts of the original Electric Company.

Of course I thought Sesame Workshop uploaded one Bill Cosby clip onto its YouTube channel, I just searched to see and judging from the first page of search results it seems like either they didn't or they pulled it. Yeah, there's more search pages, but it seems clips officially uploaded by Sesame Workshop tend to show up on the first page results (and I think SW only uploaded one Bill Cosby clip if they did).

Of course, The Jim Henson Company hasn't removed any Cosby clips they uploaded from the 20th anniversary special.

12. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

Many of the SS episodes from the 1970s featured multiple characters played by one performer. I looked through some of the Muppet Wiki episode guides for SS Seasons 5-7, and in these episodes the street scenes often involved Muppets played by Frank Oz and Jerry Nelson, alongside Caroll Spinney's Big Bird and Oscar. It makes sense to vary the routine for the performers, writers, and ultimately the audience so that nobody worked with/saw only Big Bird and Oscar day after day (not that there's anything majorly wrong with that).

This makes me wonder if the writers wrote material based on the Muppeteers' availability. For example, if Frank Oz was around for a week of taping, did this affect what got written, rehearsed, and filmed? How did they decide whether to have Frank perform Cookie Monster, Bert, Grover, or (going out on a limb) Harvey Kneeslapper? The same would apply to Jerry and occasionally Jim and Richard, I suppose.

13. D'Snowth

I know because of Jim and Frank's busy schedules that often times if their characters were featured briefly in those My Sesame Street Home Video tapes, somebody else would physically perform them, while they dubbed their voices. It was pointed out an example of this from "Big Bird's Storytime," where Kermit shows up at the end to join Big Bird and Snuffy for naptime: Kevin reportedly performed Kermit while Jim dubbed the dialogue.

I think I've figured out another such example from "Monster Hits!": Cookie Monster says, "Thank you, thank you. Thank you, thank you. Monster . . . thank you," three times, and each time it sounds exactly the same. Not sure who actually performed Cookie on the set for that, unless maybe it was Richard, since he clearly performed Herry's Mommy earlier in the video, and we've seen he's performed Frank's characters before when he wasn't in the studio.

14. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

David Rudman was Herry's mom in that video, actually. I'm pretty sure he also did CM in that too (how prophetic).

15. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

And this is ironic.

16. D'Snowth

I could have sworn it was Richard; it sounded a little like Don Music if Don Music was a monster.

17. D'Snowth

The tile on Hooper's Store has always been black and yellow, however I've noticed in illustrated form, and even on those older playsets, it's a variety of different colors, including green and yellow, blue and yellow, blue and white, and black and white.

18. LittleJerry92

I was just thinking of the fact that "Body Rythyms" by Little Jerry is from season 11 (as evident by the 1979 date).

It kind of surprised me, given how, while the picture had that late 70's sharper picture look to it, the puppets looked a bit more pudgy and beat up (I honestly thought the song was from seasons 5/6, given that they also looked pretty similar to their season 6 appearances).

But, given that there was a 4 season gap in between, I can see why the workshop hadn't built the puppets in awhile when switching up characters.

But hey, it does bring me to an interesting point.

Looks to me like the puppets appeared in season skips during their time from seasons 2-6.

Season 2 (though also remembering the fact that they weren't even thought of as a band yet in any of these skits):

"Surprise!"
    "The Garden"
    The exit and walk skits with Grover
    "Mad!"
    And the scatting skit

Season. 4:
    Proud
    Sad

Season 6:

Telephone Rock
    Danger
    Mary Had a Bycicle

And then everything else was all album stuff or once in a while appearances

Season 11:
    "Body Rythyms"

I'm gonna guess season 19:

Little Jerry visiting Gina

Season 21:
    Mountain of Love
    Their Enterprise in Rock n Roll
    And some Big Jeffy and Little Chrissy bits (the duo also having two street appearances in seasons 22 and 23).

Season 31:
    Jerry visiting the street again

19. minor muppetz

I feel like I've been experiencing a "Mandela effect" regarding episodes featuring certain segments.

For years, I thought that Batman: Clean and Dirty Windows was in episode 179, the one that fans only have a black and white copy of. I hadn't noticed an image from it, I feel I might have ignored that, and I never bothered to look up that segment on YouTube, but I assumed fans had it, only in black and white. Then I saw it listed in a sandbox page for unidentified segments (and segments without images) as well as being mentioned in a YouTube on the top lost clips from the show, so I looked back and saw that the episode in question had the crossing the street segment.

I noticed that the First Season Show Content at the CTW Archives doesn't list episode numbers for Jazz #7, #9, or #10, noticed it for years, but a few years ago, when video copies of most of the first 16 episodes surfaced, I thought I saw #7 mentioned in some of the guides past #12 (the one that didn't surface). Of course looking at those files, there are some segments that don't have episodes listed that have been confirmed to have aired in the first season, such as "Balloons II (Big Bird and monster)", which is in the same episode as "Balloons I" (I guess it was lumping them as a two-part segment and only listed the episode for the first segment, though there are many segments listed multiple times with the same title and a number by it, like the Rocket Countdown amd Dots Bridge series', and the K Cheers, and the F Cheers).

On a non-wiki Mandela Effect, I feel like in the early days of the Sesame Street video player, they had K Cheer Version 1 and K Cheer Version 2, much like they had all five versions of the F Cheer, but within a year I realized that it only had one K Cheer. I wondered if maybe it was there and taken down, and it's possible I was mistaking that site for YouTube or DailyMotion or something.

20. LittleJerry92

I can understand that. David's voice does have a bit of a Richard hint when he says "I couldn't have done it without you, son!"

Also, since you brought it up - I remember as a kid wondering why Cookie's "Thank you, thank you! Monster, thank you!" Sounded the same. Until, obviously, years later, I learned it was pre-recorded audio.

(I also wouldn't have guessed that Kevin performed Kermit at the end of the Big Bird's storytime video. It would be cool to see some raw footage of it before it was dubbed).