Live-action Garfield in theaters this Christmas

radionate

Reaction score
I don't consider dating yourself by watching the Gummi Bears a bad thing. Not at this point in time at least! :big_grin:

wolfy

Reaction score
Live action movies?

What about the fact that there were plays based on Peanuts?

I mean, who can forget "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown" with Snoopy doing his "It's Suppertime" dance? I remember watching some of the actors come on Carol Burnett's show and performing, and then there was a special where they showed it live on television, as well.

I may be mistaken, but I could SWEAR that Bob Fosse was Snoopy...but that may have been wishful thinking on my part...

As for a combination CGI/live action "Garfield" movie...I hope it doesn't go over, personally.

Give me the animation any time, even when it comes to "Fat Albert!"

By the way...I still watch the old "Rocky and Bullwinkle" shows on Boomerang, which we get on the satellite station. My absolute favorite part has to be "Fractured Fairytales" with Edward Everette Horton as the narrator. I loved him in a lot of movies from the 1940s...(oops, aging myself HORRIBLY)...
wolfy

wolfy

Reaction score
Ummmm...just a thought or two on this...

If this was done by Pixar, it would probably be pretty great. That kind of animation I could live with, as it's really great. I noticed that some of the people working on this worked on "Toy Story," so one CAN hope...

Also, since Jon sort of "inherited" Odie from his former roommate, Lyman (who had come to live with him when he had no where else to go and no money to spend), how are they going to say that Jon got Odie? If they are going to stay true to the story Jim Davis originally wrote for the masses (and we laughed our collective behinds off with; I still do when I read the first few books), the writers are going to need to establish that Odie came to Jon by way of Lyman, right?

Okay, I would think so, anyway!
wolfy

Bean Bunny

Reaction score
Fox using Dr.Dolittle like CGI that is a realistic looking pet not a cartoony one. Think "Cats & Dogs".

John Goodman would make a great Garfield.

P.S. Sometime production on a film began when it even hasn't film yet. They proably have CGI test all ready do for Garfield and Oldie.

Gonzo

Reaction score
Originally posted by Fozzie Bear
http://www.peanutscollectorclub.com/peantfaq.txt

The third, 1977's RACE FOR YOUR LIFE, CHARLIE BROWN, is the
weakest of the quartet.
This was always my favorite one growing up--and it's one of two movies in 1977 I remember VERY well seeing on the big screen (the other was Star Wars). I thought it did a great job of utilizing more characters than just CB & Snoopy; and had some adventure in there to boot.

Having seen all of these relatively recently, the first one is the best, followed by "Race For Your Life" and "Bon Voyage."...I didn't like the other one much at all. Maybe it was too much angst for me. But I'd hardly call them a "series."

If there WERE a live action CB movie, my baby could be...uh...a Baby...his head's big enough to be a Schulz drawing!

I hope to see more Peanuts someday, but not if it's as desecratory as "It's the Pied Piper, Charlie Brown!" That was horrrrrible.

Garfield: Thumbs Down

Bullwinkle: Thumbs Up (but not the movie)

Bloom County: Thumbs Up

Calvin & Hobbes: Thumbs Up

Quinnnnnnnnnnn

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by wolfy

Also, since Jon sort of "inherited" Odie from his former roommate, Lyman (who had come to live with him when he had no where else to go and no money to spend), how are they going to say that Jon got Odie? If they are going to stay true to the story Jim Davis originally wrote for the masses (and we laughed our collective behinds off with; I still do when I read the first few books), the writers are going to need to establish that Odie came to Jon by way of Lyman, right?
Well, though you are quite correct, in Garfield's nine lives (the speciial, amnd probably the book), Jon just buys Odie. No lyman was ever used in the cartoon (though he did have a cameo as a cab driver in one epode, but it's bearly recognizable, and It's just a guess. I have seen it, and the cab driver looks like him)

But then again, Hollywood movies do screw things up.

And enough nay say about Bullwinkle the movie (thou, if it didn't have that annoying female government agent, it would have been much better). At least they tried to stay true to the show, Unlike Inspector Gadget, Dudley Do-Right, and Super Mario Bros (which, out of all of them, has got to be the one that they got the most wrong... ick.)

radionate

Reaction score
I love what Jim Davis was quoted as saying when asked what ever happened to Lyman. He said something about Jon having locked him captive in the basement! :big_grin:

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Oh my gosh I'm a Bloom County fanatic! i got all the books passed down to me frm my older brother because i would always go into hi room when i was younger and sneek them into my bedroom, they are soo funny! I love opus! I remember seeing a bloom county cartoon speacil at my cosins house years ago, i can't remember much but i do remember Bill the cat throwing up on someone's chinees carpet:smile: yep that's bill alright.

but about this Garfield movie, i hope it's done right, Rocky and Bullwinkle had everything right but they did it in the wrong way, it's a shame, scooby doo was dreadful, there are still very funny parts in R & B.

i hope they find a good voice for that cat, heck they should make it roger rabbit style with a real world but jon garfield and odie living in it;-) but that's not happening before chirstmas i don't think. USA Acers was the best, i love wade duck
" five seconds to duck panic...."

i just saw a book on the history of garfeild, i don't know how new it is but it looked really good when i saw it at the mall! it's called something like " IN DOG YEARS I"D BE DEAD!" something like that.

Music also supplied the voice for Sargent Dunder (warthog) on a few eps of TaleSpin. they really need to get a good voice for Garf and not just pick some main new star to voice him.

Zack the d:sympathy:g

Ryan

Reaction score
Originally posted by radionate
Wonder what casting choices they have in mind. I also don't know what it will be like without Lorenzo (wasn't that the man that voiced Garfield).
Yeah. Actually, he has already been recast. I recently saw a Litter box infomercial including him. The voice is almost perfect. :big_grin: