Live-action Garfield in theaters this Christmas

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
And enough nay say about Bullwinkle the movie (thou, if it didn't have that annoying female government agent, it would have been much better). At least they tried to stay true to the show, Unlike Inspector Gadget, Dudley Do-Right, and Super Mario Bros (which, out of all of them, has got to be the one that they got the most wrong... ick.)
yes! That annoying girl was the problem of the movie! everything else was great, they just needed more of it! Everytime they try to make a movie like this they change the origanl story making it something new....don't hollywood people know? we hate new!!!! i can't belive they are making a second IG movie...i think it's on video now....nothing lke the cartoon, come on Brain should have been in it more saving Gadget rather then a little tag along puppy, the only nice thing which was tribute was by having Brain talk at the end with the real IG cartoon voice.

Mario bros could have been so much better, i think Hopkins was a great mario.

wolfy

Reaction score
Oh, my gooooooosh...

My son just came and told me that the parts of Jon and Liz (the vet that Jon has a crush on) have been cast for the movie...

Hang on to your seats, Garfield fans, this is gonna HURT!

Playing Jon is Brecken Meyer (or is it Myer?). He was in the movie "Clueless," and he was on that cancelled show called "Inside Schwartz" that was on NBC last fall. Ewwwww!

And for Liz...Jennifer Love Hewitt.

Pleeeeeeezzzzeee...someone get Jim Davis and tell him to get some MAJOR backbone and say "NO!" to these people! They aren't good people to play Liz and Jon...there's just NO WAY...

Okay, I don't really know about Brecken, I've only seen him on that horrid show "Inside Schwartz," which was SO BAD, but I do know that my idea of Liz is most DEFINITELY NOT JLH!!!

Starting to cry already about this whole thing...
wolfy

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
You know who they should have play jon...Robin Williams, he kinda looks like him! maybe he's a little shorter and fatter but i think he could play the part.

wolfy

Reaction score
Well, Robin is a great actor and comedian, but he's too extreme.

How about Matt Damon? He's about the right age, he's got the right look (sweet, dumb, but not always able to get the beautiful girls) AND he's a great actor for both drama and comedy (as shown by his playing a straight guy pretending to be a gay guy so he could travel through Europe with a chorus group on "Will and Grace."

And, if we can't get Matt Damon, how about Josh Hartnett? He's basically the same way...cute, sweet, can act dumb but is really quite smart and he's a great comedy and drama actor.

Hmmm...Jim Davis, are you listening?
wolfy

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Originally posted by radionate
I love what Jim Davis was quoted as saying when asked what ever happened to Lyman. He said something about Jon having locked him captive in the basement! :big_grin:
that clears up a whole lot....i miss lyman...some of the best jokes were from him!

Sarah

*missing lyman*....i wonder if he's still alive:wink:

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Hmmm, i kind think of Jon Arbuckle as being older then those guys, that's why i said Robin, I think Jim Carry would be an example of extreme, but Matt Damon & Josh Hartnett seem kinda younge and more "cool type" for John Arbuckle yet alone having his own cat outwit him for those kinda actors, i couldn't see them playing the part. how about one of the guys from friends? i can't think of his name though.

I feel they had a bad cast of characters for the scooby movie, all but Matt who played Shaggy, he was perfect, they made Velma too dorky nerdy rather then having and nice personaly which the cartoon character has, Daffnie didn't seem sweet at all and just bratty, it was like a grown up verson of daffnie from a pup named scooby doo, which she's supost to be;-) but actted the same way as she did. and i think they tried to make fred look to cool and jerky. it's also a shame what they did to scrappy, i only laughed thought because i know a lot of hard core scooby fans hate him.:zany:

Zack)Rowlf the, Gotta love this zany penguin!D:sympathy:g

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
i think jon needs to be a newcomer i think jon needs to be a boring newcomer!!!!

Sarah

wolfy

Reaction score
Well, Jon needs to be in his early 30s, which would pretty much leave out the guys from "Friends."

I think you are probably thinking of Matt Perry ("Chandler") or of Matthew Le Blanc ("Joey"). Considering how well known both of them are for the show "Friends," it wouldn't really do.

Matt Damon is the right age; he's about 31.

But I can understand your feelings about wanting someone new.

Yes, Jim Carey would also be over the top. Robin Williams is definitely too old (sorry, Robin, but in your 50s you ARE too old to be Jon).

Okay...here are a couple others to think about for Jon:

Ashton Kucher (from "That '70s Show") A little young, but currently a hot star...

The guy who played the part of "Riley" on "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" on the WB. I can't remember his real name, but he has that "gee, I'm cute but boy, can I be dumb" kind of thing going on.

Chad Lowe. Rob's little brother and husband of Hillary Swank. He is a very versatile actor, and he's about the right age.

I suppose if we get desperate we can always choose someone like (ick) Brad Pitt, or even go as far as (dare I say it...dare! dare!) Evan Marriott (the guy from "Joe Millionaire")...

Okay. I'm spent. My brain has just fried trying to think of someone for Jon!

Now we need to start working on someone better for the part of Liz than Jennifer Love Hewitt!
wolfy

radionate

Reaction score
The meantion of any of these people starring in the movie makes me gag.

Jon doesn't need to be a "hot" star, because is not what Jon is. He's not hot, buff, cute, young, or handsome. He's a loveable loser, a nerd, and a farmboy dork.

A combination of Woody Harrilson's Woody from Cheers, Jon Lovitz's spunk and attitude are two characterics needed in an actor.

I think this movie is destined to fail, Garfield is getting past his prime, and if thats who the Hollywood suits are leaning towards, I'll pass.

wolfy

Reaction score
"Loveable loser, nerd, farmboy" was what I was trying to go after with the idea of having either Matt Damon or Mark Blucas doing the part of Jon. Both of them can play the part quite well, and neither are considered "hot" in the sense of being a commodity to Hollywood right now, nor do most people think of them when they consider "hot, sexy movie star" qualities. People tend to go "Oh, Brad Pitt" or some other goomba like that.

Jon Lovitz has too much "sleaze" quality; he's been overused in that area and most people think "smarmy, creepy, ick" when they think of him. Too bad...he might have been a great actor if he'd been given a better chance and better parts...besides, he's too old...

Woody Harrilson (sp?) when he was younger, perhaps. Today? No way. Again, too much of the sleazy, smarmy, creepy quality to him, plus he is reportedly very difficult to work with...

Since you don't care for the ones mentioned, nor do you care for the one they have actually gotten (Brecken Myer), whom do you suggest for the part?

And again, whom for the part of Liz? I'm still at a loss for that one!
wolfy
=======================
Still mourning the loss of Jim Henson, who made my world brighter