1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Long, beautiful HAIR

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by scarylarrywolf, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Well, I know in the past we've yapped a lot about the fact that Steve has long hair, and from what I've seen -- heck! -- none of the Muppeteers have short hair (well, practically). What I want to know is WHY? It seems logical to crop it short so it won't get into the camera shots, although I can see how its length could weigh it down out of the shot just the same. But with so many examples from Jim to Steve to Dave to Brian, it almost seems like to be a good puppeteer it's NECESSARY to have long hair. Does anyone know why? Is it a "Samson/Delilah" thing? Is it a statement of some sort? Did I start this thread just because it's early in the a.m. and I'm low on sanity?

--"Scary" Larry Wolf
  2. I dunno why you started this thread, but all I have to say, Janice fer sure has "Long, beautiful HAIR".

*SIGH*
  3. Gonzo14

Gonzo14 Active Member

what about

Jerry Nelson
    Dave Goelz
    Bill Baretta
    Brian Henson
    Kevin Clash
    Carol Spinney
    Frank Oz
  4. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Frank Oz has no hair, he doesn't count! :)D )

Sorry, Mr. Oz!
  5. FellowWLover

FellowWLover Member

I don't really "go" for long hair on men. Just a personal preference...
  6. Muppetfreak

Muppetfreak Member

festive felt hippies

I think he is holding on to his hippie roots...

I love the Muppeteers...but they are hippies....

Festive hippies...but hippies none the less...
  7. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

:(

Well, this conversation certainly leaves ME out of the loop...
  8. FellowWLover

FellowWLover Member

Bald?
  9. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I think they should all have spikey hair. :D

Naaaah. I like that the puppeteers are hippies. However, I'll have to agree that most guys don't look that great with long hair. I, myself, can't think with too much hair in my face. That's why it's always pointing up!
  10. Fozzie Bear

Over most of the noggin...but it's cute! :D
  11. Skeeter Muppet

Skeeter Muppet Active Member

Aside from the Muppeteers Gonzo14 listed, what about Richard Hunt? From all the photographs I've seen, his hair was never long. Sure it was curly, and it looked like he had a bunch of it in his younger years (*cringes* that probably deserved a "your face."), but it was never long.

-Kim
  12. radionate

radionate New Member

I think its the Hippie Genes still holding on. Most of these guys were hippies. God Love 'em! ;)
  13. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty cool Steve still has his hair real long(at least from the Walk of Fame pix I saw) Fromw hat I remember most the original Muppeteers were a bit hippiesh in hair and appearence(err, cept Frank OZ...but bald is beautiful;) )
  14. Well, yeah, I know Jerry and Frank don't have long hair, but I didn't mention them because I was trying to be nice :)

As for Dave, Brian, and Carroll Spinney, I've seen plenty of pics with them in long hair. But you're right, some Muppeteers don't have long hair. Eric Jacobson does though, right?

Anyway, I did a little experiment today and got my hair cut. Good News! I don't feel any less a puppeteer.

--"Scary" Larry Wolf
  15. Fozzie Bear

Wait til your hair falls OUT...you'll see, hair does NOT make the puppeteer. But strong arm, shoulder, and back muscles sure do help.
  16. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Nice point, Foz.

I've never had looooooong hair, but it does get pretty bad if it's not cut all the time. Right now my hair looks like if Richard Hunt were to put gel in his hair (Richard Hunt a few years before his death, that is) I have pretty curly hair, not as curly. At least I'm not balding.:D

Nah, bald's cool. My best friend is getting there. Not totally, but he's got quite the recieting hair line. I keep telling him to just shave it all off! He's my right hand man!:D (quite literally so. He plays my one character's right hand.:D )

It's good to have the guy doing the right hand of your character to be a really close friend. After long hours in the sun (or freezing cold) you need a good friend! Plus, I'm sure he doesn't apreciate having a smelly armpit stuck in his face all day!!!!:eek:

Scoot
  17. Muppetfreak

Muppetfreak Member

Dude, if I lose my hair I will be ticked....

It will ruin my entire Miss P image...
  18. BlueFrackle

BlueFrackle Active Member

Guys,

How come ive only just noticed this ?!

Ive got long hair, But i had it before i knew Steve did...

Im also a good Puppeteer, I think anyway...

so its logical, To be good you gotta have long hair...

Sorry Baldies...
    But there are some exceptions, Frank Oz.

see ya:D
  19. sarah_yzma

sarah_yzma Active Member

Re: Guys,

i'm sure he'd be happy to hear that! :D

Sarah
  20. Fozzie Bear

It makes it easier for us to wear a puppet on our heads...