1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Look! "Before You Leap" is an amazing book

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by Beauregard, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

I can't seem to find a thread about this amazing, unbelievably
    Muppity book which was recently released, but it certainly deserves a thread, a discussion, and about a dozen darn good reviews because this book is everything the Muppets stand for, silliness and tons and tons and bucket-loads of heart.

I started reading it today, and have yet to put it down (Aside from now, and to eat dinner, and to visit the bathroom, and to get some chocolate, and to find a mirror [see page 78]) and I think it deserves some hype and chatter!

Beau
  2. Frogster

Frogster Active Member

I know... I had no idea that it exsisted. My cousin Tracy was the one who bought it for me out in D.C. It's just such a great book. Yeah, there's one-too-many references to how Miss Piggy is abusive, and a few too many frog jokes, but it's just such a pure and simple book. And Jim once said, simple is good.
  3. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree with you on the too-many-pig-snides...but Piggy is a huge part of Kermit's life and it is his bio, and I always picture him ducking when he writes it and then secretly smiling when Ppiggy doesn't notice. I'd have liked a few more sprinkled Muppet references, he centres on Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo and Pepe...but then again, maybe that's the way it should be?

While on the subject of Piggy let my type out a perfect quote on the subject:

"For me, love has always been defined by Miss Piggy. (She even sent me a dictionary with our picture next to the word "love.") And I am glad that Piggy is in my life. Really. This isn't a coerced confession. I mean it. Oh sure, she and I have different opinions about the nature of our relationship, but we both care deeply for each other. And I wouldn't have it any other way."

*melts*

Beau
  4. DannyRWW

DannyRWW Well-Known Member

I loved the book...I really enjoyed that it acknowledged all parts of Kermits history including Sesame Street (although I could not find any references to Very Merry Muppet Christmas or Muppets from Space). I thought for the most part it stuck to Kermits voice(or the voice of the other muppets who intrude on Kermit's book) My favorite section is Fridays with Fozzie.
  5. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh!! This book is the single most amazing piece of Muppet merchandise ever!!!! It is the coooooooooolest!! And so so so so very funny! Every other sentence is a joke, be it pig, bear, prawn, heckler or whatever (Gonzo pun intended, yes)! It's just fantasticabulous(TM)! It's all so very touching and heartwarming too...I LOVE how he keeps the subtle, "Thank you Jim"'s going. It's awesome! Truly the greatest Muppet purchase I have ever made. And yes, I agree Kermit, thank you Jim, for making this all possible. :)
  6. Smiles

Smiles New Member

Yes, yes. Before You Leap is teriffic, and I remain majorly surprised that there wasn't much discussion on here about it.

I just recently got back from Disney, and (after my 3 veiwings of muppet vision 3D) I went into the store and was like "Wait. New muppet book? What?" So then I bought it and finished it that night when the rest of my family members were sleeping.

Yeah, so it's really great. If you haven't already bought it, I strongly suggest you do.
  7. matleo

matleo Active Member

I haven't bought it, but I flipped through it oter Day at Borders and it looked really good. I'v put it at the top of my Christmas list this year! From what I saw it loked like it was really written in Kermit's voice. I particulalry like the section where he talked about working with Jim on Sam and Friends and then also acknowledged Frank, Jerry, Jerry, Dave Lazer, Mike Frith, Dave, and Steve (no mention of Richard though :boo: )

But yeah I can't wait to read it all. It looked great!

--Matt
  8. Frogster

Frogster Active Member

Yeah, I'd say Fridays with Fozzie was my favorite as well... the entire book is just really great though.
  9. MuppetsRule

MuppetsRule Active Member

I've got two chapters left to read. But I'm luvin' every word of it.
  10. MuppetMarc

MuppetMarc New Member

Anyone going to submit a review:confused:? I'm going to buy the book tommorow at the school book fair:excited:!
  11. akkush

akkush New Member

Hi,

Wow, this is such a fun place. I'm like GaGa. I already found an answer to a question, in like three minutes.

I have a question on the collectable front. I have someone intersted in a 1979 Muppet Lunchbox with Thermos, un used. How do I find out how much it is worth in order to be fair ? I did,'t think it was worth anything.

Sharon
  12. theprawncracker

Hey akkush, welcome to the forum! :)

Unfourtunately, I don't think this particular thread is the best one for this question. I think you may have better luck starting your own thread in the Buy/Sell/Trade section.

Hope this helps! :)
  13. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

Ooh, I found this book at a bookstore, but I'm going to wait until Christmas to get it. ^^ It looks really adorable.
  14. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

This is a really nice book. Long-time Muppet writer, Jim Lewis, wrote the book and it is full of great Muppety moments. The book is illustrated with approximately 100 photos of Kermit and the Muppets. It's a great read and lots of fun. If you haven't checked it out, do so. I highly recommend it. I definitely deserves more attention and recognition that its gotten - it just kind of creeped out there with no one really knowing. Go check it out!
    :)
  15. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

I would be disappointed to think someone called themselves a Muppet Fan and they didn't own this book. It's fun, funny, interesting, makes some really good points in some sections...and, there's a photo of Kermit on a picnic with a castle behind him:

That's Palais de Chenonceau (sp?) in France. I've been there. Obviously, that's a doctored photo, but it's fun to imagine that he was really there and I was there! Anyway, I can remember painting the castle from the front view years ago in painting class, and it was fun to see that photo when flipping through it.
  16. Dr. Bombay

Dr. Bombay Member

I just heard about this book over the weekend when the Reno Gazette ran an article about it. I'm going to go to the store to hopefully find it. I'm glad to hear that it's so heartwarming and stays true to the character of Kermit! Plus pictures are a nice bonus!
  17. Faylo

Faylo Member

I have yet to see this book here :(
    I hope I get it for Christmas, I love books and I definitely want to add it to my collection!
  18. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

i got a felling that i'm getting this cool Kermit book for christmas, as I seen dad pull it up on the Barnes & Nobles.com page and asked me IF i had that book yet! hehe.... :excited: :)
  19. King Prawn

King Prawn New Member

You're lucky, In my family everyone knows I love the Muppets yet they never get me anything Muppety unless I specifically ask for it, it could also be that they never know what I have and what I don't seeing as (like many of us) I have a pretty big collection.
  20. theprawncracker

I agree that you cannot really call yourself a Muppet fan if you have no desire to get this book. It's one of the most amazing pieces of Muppet merchandise I've ever seen. Probably the best thing since Jim's death. It's just perfectly awesome, I could not have asked for more from it, it's just that good.

All Muppet fans need "Before You Leap."