Looney Tunes Babies..... ???

Gonzo

Reaction score
I just saw a commercial on Cartoon Network for a Looney Tunes Babies series....starring Bugs, Daffy, Sylvester, Tweety, Tasmanian Devil, and some others as Babies. Sound familiar? They're tended by Granny (who may even be wearing striped socks)....this is one I'll be passing on. But may watch a few times anyway out of morbid curiousity.

Yowsa.

Quinnnnnnnnnn

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Baby Looney Tunes

Actually, they're being aired in groups of two episodes per show on the WB channel at 7:30 AM EST. I saw it this morning in my marathon session from 3:00 AM, starting with Noggin's CTW classics. The cast includes:
Granny
Baby Bugs Bunny
Baby Lola Rabbit, or is it Lola Bunny?
Baby Daffy Duck
Baby Sylvester
Baby Tweety
Baby Taz the Tasmanian Devil, who strikes me as the Baby Animal of the group.
Those are all the characters so far, though it could be increased to have some of the other recognizble Looney Tunes characters.

"Come along without, come along within. They've not seen nothing like the Mighty Quinn!" (The Count)

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
Yeah, there was some news about that a couple months ago here. Everyone was comparing them to "Muppet Babies".

If they're gonna do this, I sure hope it's well made.

- Billy :cool:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, in the first of today's two episodes, there was a reference to classic Looney Tunes. The gang was gung-ho on wanting to go to school, so they practiced before they actually started playing school. Bugs and Daffy argued over who would get to ride in the bus's back seat like all the cool kids. The standard dialogue ensued, you know the one, where Bugs ultimately ends up winning.
Daffy: I'll take the back seat!
Bugs: I'll take the back seat!
Bugs: I'll take the back seat!
Bugs: You'll take the back seat!
Daffy: You'll take the back seat, and I insist!
Bugs: Well, if you insist.
Daffy: I'll have to remember not to fall for that again.

Classic Looney Tunes stuff.
Wondering what Quinn thought of the previous musical quote, The Count.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
I think this is a direct blow to Tiny Toons. I love TT so much, and I'm so glad they're showing it again on Nick. I mean, how young do we have to get these characters? They were already young teens in TT. How about we have "Geriatric Toons" where all the characters are in a nursing home. How about we have "Heaven Toons" where the characters are dead and all went to heaven! Or I got it, WHY DON'T THEY JUST STOP MAKING THESE KINDS OF STUPID SHOWS!!! I like that one best. :smile:

-Matt

Gonzo

Reaction score
Hey Count--

Naturally, I love "The Mighty Quinn".... written by the great Bob Dylan, but best performed by Manfred Mann....I had a teacher in junior high school who would sing that every day in his Irish accent when I came into class, and I hadn't ever heard the song, so I thought he was just making fun of me in a bizarre way. I mean "Quinn the Eskimo?" What the ??? But then later on I heard the song as I was driving and nearly went off the road.

Love the song.

All the pigeons gonna run to him. Me.

Quinnnnnnnnnn

Drtooth

Reaction score
I saw it. Ick. Despite the fact thAt Daffy and Bugs kinda sorta share their old chemistry, it was dreadfully ubercute. Like I said a while back, Muppet Babies works because none of those Muppets ever tried to kill, maime, or eat each other ('least not on purpose). And Tweety looked EXACTLY THE SAME!!!!!! He IS a baby, three And a half years old. That's where the whole thing falls apart.

However, I have to admit, baby Taz was kinda cute hopping back and forth playing his little horn!

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Just as I suspected.

Tiny Toons also worked because the humor was the mostly adult oriented style Spielburg's studio had been perfecting with the other shows of its kind (Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, Freakazoid, etc.). Muppet Babies also worked bacause it had a small eliment of adult oriented material. Many of the parodies were obviously made for adults. Also many of the video clips they used would only be understood by an older audience. I can't stand these cutesy shows for tots. Like my mom always said about Henson shows, "The reason they worked is because they were fun for everyone in the family. I remember a day of watching Fraggle Rock by myself because you were sick and stuck in bed."

-Matt

Drtooth

Reaction score
But with Tiny Toons, a Pup named Scooby Doo, and a few others, at least the humor was, as matt said, more adult oriented, so they have that working for them. Baby Looney Tunes seems to me, a cry for help!

I mean, if they were at least mean to each other (like the Tiny Tunes were) or satirical (like Muppet Babies) it would work. They just talk angry, and ... well, they aren't violent. Baby Sylvester never once tried to eat Tweety, and they got along too good.

And also, why did they choose those guys to do the voices of the Looney Babies? I mean, Joe Alasky, Billy West, and Jim Cummings could have done a fine job, and unlike the Muppet Troop, they could easily go in to do voice over work.

Smig

Reaction score
Except for June Foray, who was the only one who can pull off Granny, all the dialogue for Baby Looney Tunes (BLT?) was recorded in Canada by voice actors in Canada. Why? It's cheaper.

These Days Warner Brothers/Hanna-Barbera prefer to have voice actors "SHARE" roles, as opposed to having one actor do a voice exclusively,( like back in the days of Mel Blanc) They way they're covered in case an actor holds out for more money..

One of the storyboard artists, BTW, is Former MUPPET BABIES artist SCOTT SHAW, who has also commented about the similarities to MUPPET BABIES as well.

and from what I've seen of publicity stills of the show, the series also has occasional "guest start babies" like MB had Bunsen and Beaker or Janice on an occasional episode. There are also baby versions of Porky, Elmer(with hair!) The Coyote and Road Runner,
and Marvin Martian.

Smig