Lord of the Rings The Two Towers

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Saw Two Towers last night. It's okay. I was expecting more from it. I was expecting more of a buddy/buddy film between Frodo and Sam. Sam's my favorite character. So loyal. Gimli's cool too.

My problem with it was that in the first one, middle-earth seemed like someplace you wanted to be. Even when you were in Sauran's place. In this one, for some reason, I felt like I didn't even want to be in the theater. Nothing was quite as grand, or colorful as the first one.

The tree people? Er. well, they were surprisingly okay. I just kept having flashbacks to The Wizard of Oz.

Foz, this is something you ought to find interesting. Tolkien said one time "Best let the American's do what they want with it. Just so long as it doesn't land in the hands of that dreadful Disney!" :big_grin: That's not word for word, but it's close! He also said that he didn't mind if LOTR got changed a little. He was constantly changing the books up until his death.

Scoot

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
My problem with it was that in the first one, middle-earth seemed like someplace you wanted to be. Even when you were in Sauran's place. In this one, for some reason, I felt like I didn't even want to be in the theater. Nothing was quite as grand, or colorful as the first one.

Scoot [/B][/QUOTE]

okay so you wanted to be in the huge battle sequence at helms deep with 10,000 creatures that look better than my moms sisters huh?

i personally wanted to hose down sauron's gigantic eye that looked over the land of mordor with water. wonder if he uses a contact lense to see that good?....

ryan

beaker

Reaction score
Well, all I gotta say is giant talking trees, mammoth elephants, and that dragon! wow.

Yeah, the scenery wasnt as epic as the first one...the first one was more of an adventure. This one was pretty much, well the helms deep thing.

but i am vastly looking forward to lotr3! woo! Finally we get to see the ending of this 10 hour flick! :wink:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Me too. I bet watching them in order would help me apreciate the movie more.

Sweetums

Reaction score
I don't even remember who all said the stuff I'm responding to, so this is just a general reply to anyone reading this thread. :smile:

1) Someone commented that they thought TTT was much darker than FOTR. I just wanted to insert my two-cents worth to say "Really??" I thought that FOTR was much darker, and definitely more heart-pounding and intense, than TTT. Of course, part of that might have been that when I saw FOTR for the first time, the only brush with Tolkien I had had was reading the script to the musical version of "The Hobbit", and when I saw TTT, I had read the complete trilogy. I'm sure there is a difference in the intensity level if you know who dies, who lives, who falls in love, etc, etc. Anyway... just thought it was interesting how once again, two people see the exact same thing and come away with totally opposite opinions.

2) Also, the "talking trees" do bring back memories of "The Wizard of Oz", but please, please, PLEASE keep in mind that it was of no way meant to be played as a homage or tribute or inside joke... Tolkien wrote the Ents as talking trees, and so that's what the movie folks made. :smile:

3) And finally, someone commented about the grandeur and epic scope of FOTR compared to TTT, but I beg of you to realize and understand that FOTR is a quest story, while TTT is more of a situation than a plot. With a big mythical quest like FOTR, you're bound to have more vibrant hues and bigger forests and mountain ranges, vs. the "We're gonna be attacked, let's get ready" mentality of TTT. They are totally different, yes, but again, that's how it was written, and the makers of the film were faithfully following Tolkien's work.

anathema

Reaction score
I'm betting that the director's cut DVD will be a much better movie :smile: I've just watched the new cut of 'Fellowship' (twice), and it's even better than the cinema cut! It flows much better, and actually seemed shorter because of it (at least, I didn't feel like I'd spent 3 hours sitting on my butt, which I did in the cinema :smile:

Now, where do I go to persuade PJ to shoot 'The Hobbit' with Ian Holm, Ian McKellen and Hugo Weaving?
:big_grin:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I saw that too. Absolutley amazing! If that was the edition released in theaters, I would have still seen it. Who cares about the time! Er, excuse me, I have to use the bathroom.

2) Also, the "talking trees" do bring back memories of "The Wizard of Oz", but please, please, PLEASE keep in mind that it was of no way meant to be played as a homage or tribute or inside joke... Tolkien wrote the Ents as talking trees, and so that's what the movie folks made.
*zip* Ah, I know it was in the book. I actually liked those guys. It was really cool to see that John Rhys-Davies played Treebeard and Gimli. Only wish I hadn't realized it the first time treebeard opened his mouth.

All in all, I liked the movie. Just not as much as the first. I don't know. Usually with series like this (does not include Disney) the second one is m favorite. Star Wars Episode II, The empire Strikes Back, and Star Trek II The Wrath of Kahn. My favorites of the series. I'll bet number three'll be my favorite.

CraigD

Reaction score
Originally posted by anathema
Now, where do I go to persuade PJ to shoot 'The Hobbit' with Ian Holm, Ian McKellen and Hugo Weaving?
:big_grin:
And don't forget Andy Serkis to return as Gollum. He was so amazing in The Two Towers.

Craig

Super Scooter

Reaction score
wow! I have never seen such amazing CGI work as with Gollum! Amazing! And the performance!

"Oh, how I wish to catch a fish so juicy sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!"

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Just saw The Two Towers

Just came back from Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and it was fantastic. Golem was wonderful. Very much how I remembered him from reading the book in Junior High. I also noticed how his eyes resembled Froto's. Some very slick animation.

I keep hearing how some people think the film ended abruptly. I completely disagree. The film concluded with a battle and set up the next picture in a perfect way. I knew it was ending and there was a sense of closure for that chapter.

Performances, direction, stunning cinema photography and visual effects all worked together perfectly. The length didn't bother me. An A+ movie. This is indeed the Empire Strikes Back (my fave) of the series, but much, much better. I might actually be pulling for it around Oscar time. The perfect balance of film and book. Harry Potter should take a cue from Peter Jackson's effort.