'Loving Vincent':The first ever oil painted animated movie

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Here's some fascinating animation news I just came across. There's a new movie about Vincent Van Goph that was animated entirely with oil paintings. You know, oil paintings. As in the medium that Van Goph himself painted with.
It took 124 classically trained painters to animate- non of whom were trained in animation beforehand. They painted over 65,00 frames: http://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-...irst-oil-painted-animated-feature-150443.html

Sadly, the majority of the frames had to be done away with, but luckily the 1000 that were kept will be put on display and sold online.

I know this process was extremely difficult and time consuming, but the results are beautiful, and it would be amazing if we saw other films like this in the future.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Oh yes! The very first painted movie! Absolutely cannot wait to see this.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I've heard about this before on Cracked. You definitely don't see something as ambitious like this very often! And at a fraction of the cost of the average Hollywood CGI film, who says stuff like this can be expensive?

And the same studio did the stop-motion Peter and the Wolf film. Saw that on PBS over a decade ago, and I highly recommend it. :smile: