1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Major Changes in store for Sesame Street Season 46

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by ssetta, Mar 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. ssetta

ssetta Active Member

I recently heard from a source I don't really wanna say that Season 46 of Sesame Street will have a new format, and that they're testing it out with kids before anything. I don't exactly know what it will be like yet, but I really hope that they do away with the whole Murray format, as I really don't like Murray all that much. I also really hope that this supposed new format allows for use of more old inserts, but I somehow doubt it will. I was also told that there will be 2 major changes to the set.

2. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Well that is interesting, but I want to know more before I have an opinion about it.

3. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I heard about the set changes and I'll (hopefully) see them first-hand soon. If you browse Instagram tags and such enough you'll see glimpses of some of them (like Hooper's Store).

Haven't heard about a format change (except for the possibility of a new Cookie format segment), but Bill Sherman confirmed at a Lincoln Center event in January that the theme song is being re-done again.

WalterLinz likes this.
  4. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

What is this, Season 33 over again?

WalterLinz likes this.
  5. Oscarfan

IN HD!

6. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

FINALLY!!!

Errmmm...

Whatever a format change, I'm with dwayne on this one. We don't know what's going to be the deal with this, so I can't rightfully say anything positive or negative about it.

As far as I'm concerned, what I'd like to see changed:

Get rid of Abby's Flying School already. There hasn't been a new episode for at least 2 years, and it's just a 9 minute door stop now. Granted, they really can't find much else to fill the show with, but it really brings down the flow.

I'm on the fence about Murray. I do like how they've made less time for him this season and all (I'll get to that in a minute), but the human/Muppet interactions are amazing. I absolutely love the concept of him being out there and interacting with regular people. I don't want to see that go away, but maybe tweaked to just be Murray had a Little Lamb and or Peeps in the Neighborhood. But not as linking material.

While I like the concept of them introducing numbers and letters of the day musically, and the songs themselves are quite good, I'd like to see them return to what they did that one season before the format changed and have the residents of the street do it, sometimes in context of the street story. The song segment got very repetitive fast.

A little less celebrity focus. I'm sure that we can see some Word on the Street segments with just Muppets. Plus, the Abby accidentally turns the celebrity into something to explain the word joke is pretty stale.

And of course, while not a format change exactly, but better use of filler segments cultivated from existing footage not seen on the show. We shouldn't see the same song parody three times in a season.

WalterLinz, The Count and dwayne1115 like this.
  7. D'Snowth

It seems like to me that whenever the set receives a makeover - either major or minor - Hooper's is always the victim of the most radical overhauling. Then again, reading the 40 Years book and such, it kind of has to to maintain familiarity with kids watching: the kind of Hooper's back in the 70s doesn't even really exist in the real world setting for kids of the New Tens.

8. Oscarfan

Hooper's has been re-done for this season, yes, but it's a very familiar change...

cahuenga likes this.
  9. sesamemuppetfan

sesamemuppetfan Well-Known Member

The Season 40 theme is officially being done away with?? YAAAAAAYYYYYY (*flailing my arms Kermit style*)! :) Now we just need the Murray format to be toned down a little more, AND for Abby's Flying Fairy School to be done away with! If those happen, I will be hopping into bed with a great big smile on my face!!

How familiar, that's the question? (Just post the answer here, and highlight in white, or PM me...whatever can be done to avoid spoilers)

WalterLinz likes this.
  10. Drtooth

Hooper's really seems to have expanded from coffee shop/newsstand to some sort of coffee shop/convenience store. Newspapers really only exist on Sesame Street to hide references to things on. Indeed, the classic Hoopers isn't exactly what would exist in most neighborhoods. Unless somehow they manage to make some sort of dish that Yuppies/Hipsters/those guys what have extremely long beards like to eat. Then they just raise the price so they can fit the gentrified neighborhood.

First hand experience with this thing. No foolin'. Where I used to live is frightfully expensive now and the McDonalds (which wasn't even a very good one anyway) was torn down to fit a Korean restaraunt. Or in other words, the "it" cuisine of the half decade.

I'd say it's hardly the drastic change of Fix-it-Shop to Mail-it-Shop back to Fix-it-Shop to completely letting it fade out until everyone forgot about it to Bike Repair Shop.

As for the theme song. Surprised they didn't reshoot one this season, as it was the 45th. Then again... everything I've said about them sitting it out.

dwayne1115 likes this.
  11. cahuenga

cahuenga Active Member

I would love to see less of Murray and more of classic muppets... besisdes I wanna see Gordon, Susan and Bob on more episodes than this season...and More clips from Frank Oz!! Im a sesame purist!!!

12. cahuenga

cahuenga Active Member

and which is the other set change they did??

I would love to see the staircase and upper-door in the charlies auto repair building back!

13. ssetta

ssetta Active Member

I also thought that one thing they COULD do, if they were to show any classic slips, is maybe stretch the picture and show them in HD. I really think that's the main reason why they haven't been showing them. Of course it wouldn't be the same, but it would be better than not showing them at all.

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  14. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I've never really been able to comprehend the change in Hooper's Store from season 40. The 40th anniversary book says that the old Hooper's Store represents a time that's no longer relevant, but I don't see it. I feel like there are restaurants (at least local ones) that aren't too different. And I don't notice any big changes between the late-1990s Hooper's Store and the 2009 one.

15. D'Snowth

Very familiar as in a certain yellow-and-black checkered design might be making a comeback?

I honestly don't understand the satire that apparently newspapers don't exist anymore when they do. I mean, it's not payphones, which really are becoming rarer and rarer to find, but I mean newspapers are still alive and well: yes, they're like 90% more expensive than they used to be, but they're there. People still buy them, people still read them. If anything, it's malls that people should act like don't exist anymore, because malls really are virtually ghost towns anymore: so many people are too lazy to get off their butts, get in the car, drive to the mall (or any retailer really) to gt what they want/need so they just buy it online now.
    Well, it kind of is true: the original Hooper's was like a small Mom-And-Pop-esque soda shop (like used to be prelevant in the 50s), and the truth is those just don't exist anymore. Yeah, maybe a few local ones here and there in smaller, more urban neighborhoods, but SST is big city street, and those kind of little Mom-And-Pop soda shops aren't going to be found in big cities anymore, which is why Hooper's had to be modernized into a convenience store, because those are more common in today's city landscape.

16. Drtooth

That's because there's no variety anymore. All the clothing stores look exactly the same and the prices are insane, with exceptions. Toy stores certainly don't exist on their own in Malls (maybe a TRU express if you're lucky). But yeah. No one likes to have to go out and do anything anymore.

Like I said. Those kinda places only exist if Yuppies/Beardos/Hipsters eat there. I'm sure Sesame is a very close street and they do just enough business at that single store/coffee shop to keep it in business without cronuts, 5 dollar cupcakes, 10 dollar burgers, or some fusion crap that's going to be popular for a few months. Funny thing is, I see the opposite happening. Local Mom and Pop convienace stores that can't stay afloat until they turn into restaurants/sandwich shops at least. In reality, Hoopers would have closed to be a Starbucks, some sort of Ethnic restaurant, a bank, or most likely, bulldozed for a condo complex that never gets built. Man, I hate those things.

17. D'Snowth

Remember, Big Bird's nest area was exactly the latter prior to ATC: those doors that border his nest were put up to keep people out of the construction zone, and the wall of a torn-down building was what bordered the back side of his nest area. In fact, I'm curious to how 123 was somehow left standing, because just a single brownstone standing by itself is, admittedly, an unusual sight.

18. D'Snowth

Why do I also get the feeling that the other big change to the set is the laundromat has closed and something else is in its place? It's been a library, a pet store, the Fix-It-Shop, the Mail-It-Shop, back to the Fix-It-Shop, the Laundromat...

My guess is either that, or perhaps they once again reverted the garage back its older design. Those are just my guesses.

19. Oscarfan

The Laundromat won't be changed.

cahuenga likes this.
  20. cahuenga

cahuenga Active Member

and the garage?????

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.