Major Changes in store for Sesame Street Season 46

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssetta

Reaction score
I recently heard from a source I don't really wanna say that Season 46 of Sesame Street will have a new format, and that they're testing it out with kids before anything. I don't exactly know what it will be like yet, but I really hope that they do away with the whole Murray format, as I really don't like Murray all that much. I also really hope that this supposed new format allows for use of more old inserts, but I somehow doubt it will. I was also told that there will be 2 major changes to the set.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I recently heard from a source I don't really wanna say that Season 46 of Sesame Street will have a new format, and that they're testing it out with kids before anything. I don't exactly know what it will be like yet, but I really hope that they do away with the whole Murray format, as I really don't like Murray all that much. I also really hope that this supposed new format allows for use of more old inserts, but I somehow doubt it will. I was also told that there will be 2 major changes to the set.
Well that is interesting, but I want to know more before I have an opinion about it.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I heard about the set changes and I'll (hopefully) see them first-hand soon. If you browse Instagram tags and such enough you'll see glimpses of some of them (like Hooper's Store).

Haven't heard about a format change (except for the possibility of a new Cookie format segment), but Bill Sherman confirmed at a Lincoln Center event in January that the theme song is being re-done again.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Haven't heard about a format change (except for the possibility of a new Cookie format segment), but Bill Sherman confirmed at a Lincoln Center event in January that the theme song is being re-done again.
FINALLY!!!

Errmmm...

Whatever a format change, I'm with dwayne on this one. We don't know what's going to be the deal with this, so I can't rightfully say anything positive or negative about it.

As far as I'm concerned, what I'd like to see changed:

Get rid of Abby's Flying School already. There hasn't been a new episode for at least 2 years, and it's just a 9 minute door stop now. Granted, they really can't find much else to fill the show with, but it really brings down the flow.

I'm on the fence about Murray. I do like how they've made less time for him this season and all (I'll get to that in a minute), but the human/Muppet interactions are amazing. I absolutely love the concept of him being out there and interacting with regular people. I don't want to see that go away, but maybe tweaked to just be Murray had a Little Lamb and or Peeps in the Neighborhood. But not as linking material.

While I like the concept of them introducing numbers and letters of the day musically, and the songs themselves are quite good, I'd like to see them return to what they did that one season before the format changed and have the residents of the street do it, sometimes in context of the street story. The song segment got very repetitive fast.

A little less celebrity focus. I'm sure that we can see some Word on the Street segments with just Muppets. Plus, the Abby accidentally turns the celebrity into something to explain the word joke is pretty stale.

And of course, while not a format change exactly, but better use of filler segments cultivated from existing footage not seen on the show. We shouldn't see the same song parody three times in a season.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It seems like to me that whenever the set receives a makeover - either major or minor - Hooper's is always the victim of the most radical overhauling. Then again, reading the 40 Years book and such, it kind of has to to maintain familiarity with kids watching: the kind of Hooper's back in the 70s doesn't even really exist in the real world setting for kids of the New Tens.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
It seems like to me that whenever the set receives a makeover - either major or minor - Hooper's is always the victim of the most radical overhauling. Then again, reading the 40 Years book and such, it kind of has to to maintain familiarity with kids watching: the kind of Hooper's back in the 70s doesn't even really exist in the real world setting for kids of the New Tens.
Hooper's has been re-done for this season, yes, but it's a very familiar change...

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
The Season 40 theme is officially being done away with?? YAAAAAAYYYYYY (*flailing my arms Kermit style*)! :smile: Now we just need the Murray format to be toned down a little more, AND for Abby's Flying Fairy School to be done away with! If those happen, I will be hopping into bed with a great big smile on my face!!

Hooper's has been re-done for this season, yes, but it's a very familiar change...
How familiar, that's the question? (Just post the answer here, and highlight in white, or PM me...whatever can be done to avoid spoilers)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hooper's really seems to have expanded from coffee shop/newsstand to some sort of coffee shop/convenience store. Newspapers really only exist on Sesame Street to hide references to things on. Indeed, the classic Hoopers isn't exactly what would exist in most neighborhoods. Unless somehow they manage to make some sort of dish that Yuppies/Hipsters/those guys what have extremely long beards like to eat. Then they just raise the price so they can fit the gentrified neighborhood.

First hand experience with this thing. No foolin'. Where I used to live is frightfully expensive now and the McDonalds (which wasn't even a very good one anyway) was torn down to fit a Korean restaraunt. Or in other words, the "it" cuisine of the half decade.

I'd say it's hardly the drastic change of Fix-it-Shop to Mail-it-Shop back to Fix-it-Shop to completely letting it fade out until everyone forgot about it to Bike Repair Shop.

As for the theme song. Surprised they didn't reshoot one this season, as it was the 45th. Then again... everything I've said about them sitting it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.