Major Changes in store for Sesame Street Season 46

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Amen. The new set design made a lot of needless changes IMO (Elmo having to squish into Susan and Gordon's place -- what the [bleep]?!) But those doors were there (1) to give the street an inner-city look, and (2) to hint at the symbolism behind the show's name. (Learning is like a magic password that opens doors to the world, blah-blah-blah...) Besides, Big Bird needs some privacy -- not to mention a more solid place to hang Mr. Hooper's portrait. Have big cities just stopped recycling old doors in construction projects? :skeptical:

Moving Oscar's can next to the newsstand feels even more wrong. A can that size might annoy more people by getting in the way and making the corner smell; but the non-Grouch neighbors will have to move that can again if that newsstand is supposed to stay in business. :grouchy:
You really can't judge these changes based on out of context photos and b-roll. You'll need to see them in actual use to make an informed opinion.

Drtooth

Reaction score
No change on Sesame Street is ever permanent. Not even Elmo's World. Remember when we were...well..I was at least annoyed by Homunculus Zoe? Now it only exists in the theme song. And not for much longer, praise Toutatis.

I honestly don't care how the show looks, but rather how it plays. As long as they don't go super-hyper-overboard with the initiatives again next season. If there's anything that's been wrong with the last several seasons, it's shoving too many episodes with the same concepts all together like that.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It does look weird having Big Bird's doors removed and Oscar's trash can moved from its original location after all these years. If they thought it was outdated for Oscar's trash can to be on crates and piles of trash, couldn't they have put the dumpster in its original area? But it could be worse - Oscar could have moved into a recycling bin, or into a plastic trash can, or worse, a plastic trash can with wheels.

I always felt that Big Bird's doors were to give him a bit of privacy, to make it more like a home. So I don't think Big Bird has ever been bothered by a lack of privacy, but at the same time, without those doors, he's pretty much just in a nest (I know, he still has his other things).

I wonder how many apartments are located at 123 Sesame Street. It looks small, but I've assumed it could house at least a few more residents than just Susan and Gordon, Maria and Luis, and Bert and Ernie. I think I used to think The Count lived in that building based on the fact that he sticks his head out the window in Sesame Street Special (not thinking that he could have just been visiting Susan and Gordon's home), and I also think I thought Herry lived there (I think I saw him stick his head out there in Sesame Street: 20 and Still Counting). So I see no problem with Elmo living there now.

I think somebody said that the street sign would have a change, but in that video, I didn't notice anything significant (it just looks a little smaller to me). But one thing I've been wondering for a long time: Is Sesame Street the only stree sign to have that thing above the street name that says "CTW"/"123"? Because I've never seen any other street signs like that. I believe I've sometimes seen big street signs, but most street signs are small and have the names of two different streets (the one you're on and the one you turn onto). Sesame Street is the only street sign like this that I've seen.

zns

Reaction score
I think everything looks great for what it is. Sesame Street is mostly meant to represent the real world. And because everything changes constantly in the real world, Sesame Street has been changing along with it. I am sure that everything will be cool for season 46 and that the main target audience will enjoy it. If you're reading the Sesame Workshop, keep up the great work.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I wonder how they'll handle archive material. Since the changes are much more drastic, I wonder if they'll use any inserts filmed on the street set to keep the look consistent.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Probably depends on how many celebrities are in those skits. :stick_out_tongue:

cjd874

Reaction score
Wow. They aren't kidding about major changes, especially to the set. I'm rather disoriented by the overhaul to Big Bird and Oscar's living areas. I don't know how to feel about Big Bird's nest being out in the open, with no construction doors around him anymore. And having Oscar move into that tiny space next to the 123 stairs? Wouldn't his trash bin be blocking Ernie and Bert's basement window? Do they even live there anymore? I'm also not too keen with the retro look of Hooper's Store, although the neon sign is a nice touch.

I've been a fan of Sesame Street my entire life, and these changes are honestly the most surprising ones I've ever seen. To see this legendary street get such a radical makeover is kinda weird to me. Maybe they'll change it back. (crosses fingers and looks up toward the sky)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've been a fan of Sesame Street my entire life, and these changes are honestly the most surprising ones I've ever seen. To see this legendary street get such a radical makeover is kinda weird to me. Maybe they'll change it back. (crosses fingers and looks up toward the sky)
I felt the same way about the changes made to the set for Season 33: the red doors and window panes of 123, the jungle mural painted on the double-doors of the carriage house and the new playground-inspired staircase, the child-like shapes cut into the construction doors, replacing the Fix-It-Shop with the Mail-It-Shop (though I actually liked the Mail-It-Shop), etc.

And you know what? I adjusted.

True, almost all of those changes were eventually reverted back in the ensuing seasons up till Season 39.

Do I look for any of these changes to revert back in the years to come? Some, maybe. I don't see Oscar now living in a trashbin in the 123 dumpster to really work out in the long run: unless the have some kind of trap door or something underneath it, it looks like it would be incredibly cramped for any puppeteer to work with. Other than that, it looks like they've put an incredible amount of time, effort, and expense into these changes to just revert them back afterwards.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Still wondering about any format changes, rather than the rebuilt street set. Anyone else?

Do I look for any of these changes to revert back in the years to come? Some, maybe. I don't see Oscar now living in a trashbin in the 123 dumpster to really work out in the long run: unless the have some kind of trap door or something underneath it, it looks like it would be incredibly cramped for any puppeteer to work with. Other than that, it looks like they've put an incredible amount of time, effort, and expense into these changes to just revert them back afterwards.
That's essentially how Moishe Oofnik lived. Betchya they got the idea from that. It's not like they don't sell metal trash cans anymore, but I'mn hardpressed to fins anyone who actually buys/uses them.

Rugratskid

Reaction score
It's pretty cool to hear Elmo's Song once again, considering I liked it much more than the Elmo's World theme (I think it just had better lyrics). Hopefully we'll hear it once or twice on the actual show (but they shouldn't do it more than a handful of times, then people might be bothered by it). :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.