Major Changes in store for Sesame Street Season 46

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah. I just read on Muppet Wiki that there changing the opening and closing. Yeah. They do need to get away from the Murray format. I'm okay with them keeping him as a regular character on the show, but as for him hosting, that never really appealed to me.

The Laundromat won't be changed.
I'd like to see them bring back the Fix-It-Shop, though with the bike repair shop Luis has now, I guess that's about as close as we're getting. But you never know.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind AFFS leaving, but what could they fill it with? I'd say more inserts, but if they're intent on using bits more than once in a small, spaced-out season, I can't see the benefit.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's the problem right there. Do they dump an overly repeated segment that hasn't seen a new episode for 2 years or continue to let it wear out its welcome because they have no cheaper alternative. They painted themselves into a corner since they decided to make this an every day thing to begin with instead of alternating with something.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It would be great if certain segments could just be featured certain days of the week (though that'd be a little hard when there's 26 episodes a season, and also when the show normally only has a new episode on Thursdays). Like Abby's Flying Fairy School on Mondays, Cookie's Crumby Pictures on Tuesdays, Super Grover 2.0 on Wednesdays, Murray Has a Little Lamb on Thursdays, and Bert & Ernie's Great Adventures on Fridays. That would allow more room for shorter inserts that don't need to be in every episode (like those Bert and Ernie segments that have not been seen in America). Of course if Sesame Workshop wanted to do that they'd probably introduce a few additional long segments to fill the hour (maybe for new recurring segments just have them appear a few times a week, then there wouldn't be too many repeats).

Drtooth

Reaction score
Problem is, the show isn't shown in new episodes regularly, so weekly bits would be complicated. To say the least, the reruns from 2 seasons past that usually fill up the slots don't follow the same pattern. That would require SW to go back and rework older episodes, which costs money still, so the cost cutting nature there would be lost.

I'd say what Cookie's Pictures and SG2.0 has would be alternating, but at such a highly irregular pattern. I don't see how one episode airs one and the following airs another in a basic "every other episode" pattern, but that's somehow out of the question.

The real question is, if SW was retiring AFFS what the heck would they fill it with if they aren't producing another segment (I'm sure the new Cookie one won't come cheap) and don't have enough budget to go producing more short skits to fill in that gap. They've aired things three times this season, that shows they're desperate. It would be nice to see some of the produced for international markets segments that were taped in English to be overdubbed on the show. But how much is that going to fill in? Personally, I'd like to see a longer street story, but that's probably more budget concerns. Airing classic material to fill that gap is clearly out of the question! Something I had to use bold text to point out. it's clearly a double edged sword to have this segment.

Something tells me the half hour show is an experiment to reduce costs and see how they can get a shorter series out in case PBS pushes them out of a half hour. It basically shows that a half hour is too little for Sesame Street, yet a full hour is too much.

ssetta

Reaction score
Why do you even care? Classic stuff on online and on DVDs. There's so much rare material there, even stuff that only aired ONCE IN 1969. Why is it an absolute necessity that they air on the show too? Give the show a chance to make new bits that can be considered classics.
It's just that for so many years they DID air classic material in the new shows. They aired segments from as far back as 1969 in the late 90s, and sometimes even in the early 2000s. If they can upload classic clips to YouTube for Throwback Thursday, why can't they have them on the show too?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
It's just that for so many years they DID air classic material in the new shows. They aired segments from as far back as 1969 in the late 90s, and sometimes even in the early 2000s. If they can upload classic clips to YouTube for Throwback Thursday, why can't they have them on the show too?
Maybe it's because the show has a visual style now that the older material doesn't necessarily work with.

But that's just a logical theory. There's no way it could be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.