Major Family Guy Character Killed Off

Xerus

Reaction score
At first I was disappointed when Family Guy got cancelled in 2001 and wished it would come back. But now I kind of wished that it never returned after seeing all this mean spirited humor.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
If there was one character they should have killed off, it's Meg. The "Let's all be mean to Meg" jokes haven't been funny since the show's, like, ...ever. But that would be obvious and they wanted to "shake things up." I think they want to sabotage the show so the thing can finally end.

I suppose the writers actually giving her a personality instead of making her the character everyone hates for no reason is out of the question. :rolleyes: Seriously, the Satellite Chick/Generic Girl cliche (in which a girl is only present to be fawned over if she's "pretty" and mocked and ridiculed if she's "ugly;" thinking of submitting that to TV tropes) is even worse than other tropes reeking of misogyny (the Smurfette Principle, for example).

Another reason I can't be too sad about Brian's death, to get back on topic, is that not only was he really unlikable (he almost seemed like the snotty, pseudo-intellectual moron who thought he was just the smartest guy around; I'm sure we all knew this guy in some form as teenagers), but that early on in this characterization, the writers made it seem like he was this paragon of intellectualism, depth, and social awareness, when he really wasn't much better a character than anyone else on the show, in that regard.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, just like the new Google+ comment system on YouTube, Brian's death has actually become newsworthy now.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Another reason I can't be too sad about Brian's death, to get back on topic, is that not only was he really unlikable (he almost seemed like the snotty, pseudo-intellectual moron who thought he was just the smartest guy around; I'm sure we all knew this guy in some form as teenagers), but that early on in this characterization, the writers made it seem like he was this paragon of intellectualism, depth, and social awareness, when he really wasn't much better a character than anyone else on the show, in that regard.
The one thing I actually liked was when the writers became aware of that, and played with those aspects and slapped them back in his face. His breakdown on the Bill Maher show and his confession of wanting to commit suicide were pretty character building sequences. Then of course, Quagmire's "Reason you suck speech" and Stewie comforting him later. Again, this happened much later than it should have.

Of course, Brian was only designed as an intellectual to basically give Peter someone to talk to/ play around with dog stereotypes. Now, Peter's a manchild (man, am I sick of that) so Brian's better left to partner around with Stewie and go off on adventures. I don't know how the new character's going to work in that aspect, but if they continue to actually write for those "Road To" episodes, I still look forward to those specific shows. I just slug through "Peter finds something and gets overly interested in it, and getting to the story's main plot halfway through the episode" because, well... there's nothing good at 9 PM on Sunday Nights anyway.

Dr TeethFan

Reaction score
If brian is coming back then,why did they make a dramatic death?

Dramatic deaths is what convinces people that the character(s) are not coming back.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Kenny of South Park.

All I can say.

And YES That character was killed off for real in a dramatic fashion, and then came back for no reason.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Have I not said that already? More than once?

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Looks like Vinny has replaced Brian in the opening theme song. I made this shortly after Brian's so-called 'death'. Guess I'm a psychic...

Dr TeethFan

Reaction score
If brian DOES come back then what will happen to Vinnie?
Will the family have two dogs?
Will Vinnie and Brian have a fight to the death?

Drtooth

Reaction score
And guess what? Peter blew his brains out at the end of last episode, and he's coming back like nothing happened. Mortality on this show is nothing to take seriously.

I looked at the season's episode guide and found at least 2 episodes with Brian's name in the title. I'm thinking those were red herrings unless they plan to bring him back later in the season.

There's going to be a Simpsons Treehouse of Horror style 3 shorts episode coming up. Looks like Brian's in the promotional artwork.

So I guess, unless that's another red herring, they have the character in flashback/fantasy episodes.