Making a Head from Sheet Foam

anythingmuppet

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been searching about on how precisely to make a head from sheet foam and I don't know how you would go about doing it, especially if the head is spherical in shape. I have thrown ideas around with paper casts first, but am confused as to how you can produce a sphere from rectangular sheet foam. Would it just be easier to sculpt the head or is there any way of doing it from sheet foam?

Thanks,
AM

Jinx

Reaction score
Think of the panels that make up a globe. Several strips, vaguealy triangular in shape glued together at their edges to form spherical shapes.

While this is an oversimplification, there are MANY resources available, some of which you will have to pay (*gasp!*) for.

I really love the Grey Seals book/videos (see "sticky" post above "The Foam Book". Buck Beaver and Swazzle also have excellent online tutorials that can help you out. You are going to have to do some research to find the methods best suited to your needs, but there is a lot of material out there!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
To make a basic sphere from sheet foam cut 8 wedges out and glue them together. You can change the shape by varying the shape and number of wedges.

You can download a wedge pattern here.