making legs for puppets

video567

Reaction score
hi all i was wondering if anyone had any info on adding legs to the puppets, or any pictures to show how you attached the legs to your foam puppets, i would appreciate any info you can provide. thank you!

Dwo shwoom

Reaction score
for making legs, first, you'll need a base fabric (it wont be on the outside so use something tuff and simple) then, sew it into a tube, flip it inside out (sew it from the outside, then turn it inside out) and then sew a line into the middle of it (decide the length of the legs, then go in the half of it) no for the outside fabric, use a fabric the works well for hiding seams, and sew it around the base, and wallah, legs, now to attach legs, lay the half the waist and down flat on a table, make marks the size of the legs flattened, and sew it above the marks, fold the extra fabric space below where the legs sewn in and wallah!:smile:

Jinx

Reaction score
I have seen everything from permanently attached legs, to removable legs held on with clips or velcro to legs that are merely implied to be a part of the puppet. One of my puppets had legs made exactly like arms are made. They are fastened to the front of the body with doll joints, and the foam of the body extends several inches below this point, giving a bit of "fudge-factor" for performance.

Dwo- Be careful of the words you use:

wallah:
wal·lah
Pronunciation: 'wä-l&, in combination usually "wä-l&
Function: noun
Etymology: Hindi -vAlA one in charge, from Skt pAla protector, from pAlayati, pArayati he guards; akin to Sanskrit piparti he brings over, saves, Old English faran to go -- more at FARE
: a person who is associated with a particular work or who performs a specific duty or service -- usually used in combination <the book wallah was an itinerant peddler -- George Orwell>

I believe the term you were looking for was "voila".

voila
voi·la /vwä-'lä/
Function: interjection
Etymology: French, literally, see there
-- used to call attention, to express satisfaction or approval, or to suggest an appearance as if by magic

PigBoyCrosby

Reaction score
Complex legs made with wood and hinges are great. Or styrofoam wrapped in fabic works too.

Dwo shwoom

Reaction score
Jinx said:
I have seen everything from permanently attached legs, to removable legs held on with clips or velcro to legs that are merely implied to be a part of the puppet. One of my puppets had legs made exactly like arms are made. They are fastened to the front of the body with doll joints, and the foam of the body extends several inches below this point, giving a bit of "fudge-factor" for performance.

Dwo- Be careful of the words you use:

wallah:
wal·lah
Pronunciation: 'wä-l&, in combination usually "wä-l&
Function: noun
Etymology: Hindi -vAlA one in charge, from Skt pAla protector, from pAlayati, pArayati he guards; akin to Sanskrit piparti he brings over, saves, Old English faran to go -- more at FARE
: a person who is associated with a particular work or who performs a specific duty or service -- usually used in combination <the book wallah was an itinerant peddler -- George Orwell>

I believe the term you were looking for was "voila".

voila
voi·la /vwä-'lä/
Function: interjection
Etymology: French, literally, see there
-- used to call attention, to express satisfaction or approval, or to suggest an appearance as if by magic
sorry, had to write it quickly

whatadoddle

Reaction score
If you sew in legs, it helps to shape the lower end of the body rather than leaving it as a tube, like you do with making shoulders for the arms.

Melonpool

Reaction score
I have a couple of bits of advice regarding legs:

1. Make them removable. Nothing is worse than having a puppet that kicks you in the face every time you use it.

2. Play around with the placement of the legs. If you put them on in the wrong place, the legs have a tendency to turn around when you put it on your arm... so basically, the legs are backwards.

All my puppets used to have legs, but it got so frustrating that I no longer put them on. No one seems to even notice unless I have to have them sit in a chair or something. And in that case, you can fudge them being attached without actually having them be part of the puppet. Wire in them is also a good idea.

Steve

Lab Rat

Reaction score
I agree i tend never to make legs for my characters i find they get in the way when doing live performances, i only put legs on commissions when they are specified.

puppetsmith

Reaction score
No one seems to even notice unless I have to have them sit in a chair or something. And in that case, you can fudge them being attached without actually having them be part of the puppet.
Great advice! Half of everything when it comes to puppets is learning how to fake it. :smile:

puppetise

Reaction score
what i do is with small puppets i give them legs and the i get a rubber bad and bind them together when not needed then strap them to my arm its really easy and not anoying but you dont have to do that