1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

ManaMana - doo de doo doo doo???

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by manamana, Mar 4, 2003.

1. manamana

manamana New Member

Hi all,

I have recently become fixated on the song from Sesame Street "Manamana". I read something totally unrelated to the muppets, and it flashed through my head. Now my husband and I are sort of arguing about what muppet sang/danced to it.

Anyone remember? I seem to remember these tube/slinky muppets that were orange or red, with fuzzy ends. They danced to the music, but someone else mentions a blue headed guy.

Anyone care to jump in, and does anyone have a pic of the muppet that sang it? It was and still is my fave muppet song.

Thanks!:excited:
  2. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

3. Fozzie Bear

4. Fozzie Bear

One final thing--Anathema's avatar is Mahna Mahna.
  5. manamana

manamana New Member

Thanks! I did look at the character guide, thanks so much for that link BTW...the ones I remember dancing to the song are the "Dancing Slinkies"

http://www.kermitage.com/html/characterindex/tms/characterde.html

4th character down.

But I remember their appearance to be a bit different. Longer fuzzies on the tube ends, and maybe different eyes. This would probably be in the late 60's to mid/late 70's area. My mom even remembers the Dancing Slinkies dancing to Mahna Mahna. Hm..maybe it was just a few times on the show or something..or once and just the most memorable :)
  6. manamana

manamana New Member

Oh, and there's a 404 File not found on the mp3. I did find a version on the peet file sharing networks, the title says Animal sang it, and it sounds alot like Animal. I don't remember the hippie, so maybe the voices are alike.
  7. Fozzie Bear

8. scarecroe

scarecroe Active Member

Animal never sang the Mahna Mahna song despite where you find him credited as such. This is a misconception brought about by non-fans who didn't know his name so they guessed that it was Animal because the voice was crazy and scratchy. This misconception carried over into a remix of the tune as found on my site, Back Stage Left.
  9. Fozzie Bear

So, then, he's purple with a pink nose, huh? Lime green fur body and bright orange feathery hair with yellow aorund his eyes?
  10. mikealan

mikealan New Member

I have the Muppet Show version of Mahna Mahna on the Juiet Prowse episode of The Muppet Show on Time-Life Muppet Show video volume number 15. I, of course, have the original Sesame Street version of Mahna Mahna from 1969 on the Rainstorm episode from 1972 of Sesame Street Unpaved.

The different Mahna Mahna on Sesame Street wears sunglasses and sings Everybody's Song and Scratch My Back. I have the Scratch My Back song with Mahna Mahna on tape that has parts of the 1987-88 season of SS ("My first Sesame Street").

I surely do remember seeing the other different Mahna Mahna singing Fat Cat Sat Hat on Sesame Street Unpaved-episode #536 at the Museum of Television & Radio, too!
  11. scarecroe

scarecroe Active Member

Could anyone post a picture of this Mahna Mahna with glasses?
  12. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Miklean, could you please email me the scratch my back clip? I know a site that has most of the songs you want to have. Email me at: jdbb_14@hotmail.com
  13. BipBippadotta

BipBippadotta New Member

Mikealan, could you please email me the scratch my back clip if you have it? Email: obiwan.shinobi@verizon.net. Thank you.
  14. BipBippadotta

BipBippadotta New Member

I am posting this on behalf of Joseph Bergman who writes.
    Mike, I could give that site to them if they made a copy of the clips they have that
    I want? The clips wanted are the ow clip from the electric company, and the
    why elmo asks why, the scratch my back, and the pinball count clips from
    sesame street. Thank you.
    jdbb_14@hotmail.com

Mikealan, could you please email me these clips if you have them as I would like these as well as Joseph? Email: obiwan.shinobi@verizon.net. Thank you.
  15. Mokeystar

Mokeystar Member

Wasn't "Java" the song?

Didn't the "Dancing Slinkies" dance to the tune, "Java"? I don't remember them being associated with Mahna Mahna.
  16. Infinity Sirius

Infinity Sirius New Member

Mokeystar is right. The slinkies never danced to Mahna Mahna. They were just one of the early acts that Jim Henson did on the Ed Suvillian show, as was Mahna Mahna.

Also there is a difference between Mahna Mahna with the sunglasses and without. Mahna Mahna without the sunglasses is the one that performed on the Muppet Show.

The Mahna Mahna with the sunglasses performed on Sesame Street in the skits "Scratch My Back" and "Fat Cat Sat Hat". Jim Henson wanted distinguish between Mahna Mahna and the Sesame Street version. I know that there was another name for the Sesame Street version, I just can't remember it.
  17. Fozzie Bear

I'm sorry, I thought I copied the differences here from the other thread; guess not:

Anyways, karen Falk of JHC Archives said that Jim wanted to keep the commercial Muppets seperate from the SS Muppets, so they added shades to him on SS--thus:

Muppets---Mahna-Mahna
    SS---Bip Bipadotta
  18. Infinity Sirius

Infinity Sirius New Member

Muppets---Mahna-Mahna
    SS---Bip Bipadotta

They were some of my favorites
  19. Baughdie Howes

Baughdie Howes New Member

A Twisted Mahna Mahna Dream...

For years now, I've had a dream of dressing to the nines, hiring a high-class stretch limo, and driving around town with "Mahna Mahna" blaring out through the open sunroof.

I can just imagine the looks I'd get, driving through the more posh parts of town...

That would definitely be worth the couple of hundred bucks for the limo...plus the bribe for the driver!
  20. Fozzie Bear

Baughdie,
    Don't forget: That will only work if you're in a light-blue, satin tux with ruffles!!