Marcia Wallace voice of Edna Krabappel passes away

rowlfy662

Reaction score
Marcia Wallace has sadly passed away today. Not only was she the voice of Edna Krabappel on the Simpsons she also appeared on the Bob Newhart Show where she played Carol Kester. Al Jean has also already confirmed that "She was beloved by all at the Simpsons and we intend to retire her irreplaceable character". RIP Mrs Wallace you will be missed.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
What a total shame. I wonder how the show's gonna handle it, especially when they just got Flanders and Edna together.

animalrescuer

Reaction score
That's a shame. I loved her as Mrs. Krabapel and also on the Match Game. Her voice and her wit will never be forgotten.

muppetperson

Reaction score
It is a shame that they will retire the character. Doris the lunch lady lives on, Edna should, too. RIP Marcia.

MissMusical12

Reaction score
:cry: Long live Edna Krabappel! I'm really going to miss Edna...."The Simpsons" just won't be the same without her.....
R.I.P Marcia Wallace

mr3urious

Reaction score
A sad day for Simpsons fans everywhere. I shall give a great big "HAH!" in her honor.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Sad for Simpsons and Bob Newhart show fans. She was the sassy secretary Carol as well. Even managed to appear in the pilot episode of Darkwing Duck as Bulba's secretary.

The sad irony is that the Simpsons writers confirmed they're going to kill off one of the characters. It'll be a shame if they have to get rid of Edna. Ned lost a wife already. Really, I feel sorry for the character. Lost wife, the writers keep turning him into a caricature of their annoyance with the Christian Right.... I was very much PRO Nedna.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Sad for Simpsons and Bob Newhart show fans. She was the sassy secretary Carol as well. Even managed to appear in the pilot episode of Darkwing Duck as Bulba's secretary.

The sad irony is that the Simpsons writers confirmed they're going to kill off one of the characters. It'll be a shame if they have to get rid of Edna. Ned lost a wife already. Really, I feel sorry for the character. Lost wife, the writers keep turning him into a caricature of their annoyance with the Christian Right.... I was very much PRO Nedna.
They're not planning to kill her off. They're just going to retire her, possibly demote her to non-speaking roles. Who knows, maybe they'll re-cast her later down the line like with Lunchlady Doris.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/26/simpsons-and-bob-newhart-actress-marcia-wallace-dies

Drtooth

Reaction score
They're not planning to kill her off. They're just going to retire her, possibly demote her to non-speaking roles. Who knows, maybe they'll re-cast her later down the line like with Lunchlady Doris.
They are planning to kill a character off obviously, it's going to be a secret until the episode airs. Whoever it winds up being, it's probably going to wind up a minor player for the sake of an episode plotline. I can't imagine them killing Sideshow Bob off permanently. The thing that's actually chilling is that they mentioned Edna in the article, and this was reported a while ago.

Of the three main cast members who died, the problem lies in what they're going to do with Edna. While Lionel Hutz and Troy MacClure are quite missed and Doris was eventually recast, they weren't major players in the series. Edna is Bart's fourth grade teacher, and a lot of the show's humor and tension stems from Bart's school room antics. Also unfortunate is her role was actually expanding in the show up to this point. While it is respectful to retire the character, ultimately the better option is to recast her so the legacy of the character lives on and to continue the show's major characters.