Mary Poppins Play

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I just read today that Disney is adapting Mary Poppins, one of my all-time favorite movies, for the stage. It will include the Sherman Brothers' songs from the original and a number of newly written songs as well. Sounds pretty cool, not that I'll be in the market for a Broadway show anytime soon...
Erin

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A broadway version sounds very nice. The music is so charming. A play is a lot better than a new film along the lines of "Mary Poppins Returns".

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I agree! I think Mary Poppins would be very well suited to Broadway. And a corny direct-to-vide sequel would be rather unfortunate.
Erin

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Is this finally happening? The last I heard, Disney (of course) owned the rights to their songs from the movie, but someone else (Cameron Mackintosh?) owned the rights to adapt the novel into a Broadway show. Of course, nobody would go see this without Disney's songs, so they were struggling to reach a deal. If this is going ahead, I think it's great! Mary Poppins would be wonderful as a stage show--the movie, anyway, is truly one of the greatest. Wow, how exciting!

:smile: :smile:

radionate

Reaction score
This has actually been in the works for quite a few years now.

Disney and Cameron Mackintosh (a London Theater Producer responsible for Cats, Les Mis, Phantom, etc.) have been working on this for awhile. I believe Cameron owns the rights to a stage adaptation, but Disney of course holds the rights to the songs. So they have partnered up.

It's one of a few stage musicals Disney is working on producing. Expect to see this sooner then The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, and possibly Tarzan though, which are also in development. I'm still waiting for The Hunchback of Notre Dame to move from Germany to Broadway.