1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

MASTER REPLICAS @ Toy Fair 08

Discussion in 'Muppet Replicas' started by antonydavanzo, Feb 20, 2008.

1. antonydavanzo New Member

2. Luke Active Member

Lol, i know, you wouldn't think they were trying to sell these things would you, and at the most important toy event of they year. I would have thought it'd pay them in the long run to employ a Muppet wrangler for shows and photo shoots. So many of those guys are freelance now and don't have heaps of work on.
  3. MWoO Active Member

I think Kermit ends up all smooshed because so many people handle him. The others don't get messed up as much but they still get crunched up a lot. The photo shoots, however, have no reason to be messed up. I mean, if you are selling photo poser replicas you would think you'd make sure to photograph them well.

The EM figures do nothing for me. The proportions are all off and really there is nothing too great about them.
  4. MuppetCaper Active Member

I don't think someone was hired to take these photo's like a pro would. I think the purpose was to show other companies there products and get to man handle them. This Toy Fair was not for the public, so there wasn't no reason to pose them if you cannot touch them, or handle them.For examply, remember when Kermit was in a glass case, back then, he wasn't meant to be handle by the public, so this time around people all over the floor get to touch them and pose them just for the fun of it. :o

I would have loved to be there just to see Fozzie up close!
  5. frogboy4 Inactive Member

Who is the target market?

I am not seeing a clear feasible mission for the figurines. The likenesses are okay, but were handled better by Palisades. These appear to be more expensive and less dynamic.

The opportunity with figurines is to capture a moment in time. Animal should have one stick beating a drum, the other arm in the air, his collar shifted to the side, his chain and his hair flying about showing weight and movement. There's no purpose creating another passable likeness of him with a pink cotton-ball head and cartoony lidless eyes except for cashing in on the Muppet's name brand. Palisades, Sideshow and Master Replicas themselves have raised the bar higher than this so I don’t get it unless these are still being tooled.

Janice is the figurine that the others should be modeled after in terms of form and movement. She really shines here in likeness, fluidity and personality. She is beautifully made, but the others are faded facsimiles of better works. I was stoked about the prospect of these, but I don't get the purpose after seeing these pictures (whomever the photographer this time). I do like the correct coloring of Zoot. I noticed and dig that. :flirt: :cool:

In how these products (including the posers and figurines) have been marketed and displayed so far shows a lack of direction. That’s how it appears to me. I really want to like these. I hope Travis has good news.

I have said before (if fluidly sculpted) various kitchen rats, a couple Muppet monsters, Kermit on a bike, Rowlf playing his upright piano, Fozzie ducking a tomato and Statler & Waldorf sculpted in their famous balcony make more sense than these and would work as stand alone figures or arranged together. This is what I was expecting. There’s much more that can be done with a sculpt when the artist doesn’t have to factor-in articulation. The pictured figurines (except for Janice) actually bring less life to the design.

Added note: Their Gonzo and Animal posers were positioned well this time out. People seem to have trouble with the frog.
  6. TimmyMonsterIL Active Member

7. antonydavanzo New Member

somethings weird with his face.
  8. Ignohippo Member

It's the lower jaw. His bottom lip is way outta wack.

Dude, I gotta say, those figurines are not so hot. I was hoping they'd look close to the quality and feel of the outstanding WDCC figurines. The sculpts on these really don't have much detail or crispness and are much too cartoony IMO.
  9. antonydavanzo New Member

Agreed, the bottom jaw is off and the eyes are not sitting right for me but this will all change (we hope)
    Ill pass on the sculps........I have my Palisades collection and I dont think MR will beat them
  10. MuppetCaper Active Member

If I am correct, these are not produced by MR. I know that MR is getting more towards collector toys than replicas. I also believe that they don't actually make these. They might have some outside company make these like Sideshow does with there Medicom line.
  11. Luke Active Member

I go to those shows all the time. The industry people don't bother touching stuff, its more they just look and people take photos for press. They would be better off having some kind of roped off themed display with some accessories because they'd look more attractive and the photos would look way better. Photos taken here end up in things like Toy News, License and other trade mags. Seriously, they need to hire a Muppet wrangler.
  12. antonydavanzo New Member

Agreed with you on this Luke. If the pics are ending up in magazines then they should at least make the muppets look better, Animal looks like he just came out of the box:eek:
  13. MuppetCaper Active Member

But how many people out there other than us fans know how to pose a Muppet....not very many. So of course they are going to look odd or drunk like poor Fozzie. I wished I was there to help the poor bear. They could have at least put them together in a group and that would have made a world of difference.
  14. antonydavanzo New Member

hahahaha:) Fozzie does look like he ahs been on a all day bender!
    Yeah a group shot would be nice.
  15. Luke Active Member

In New York? There are loads of ex-Henson workshop puppet wranglers with little work. Some went to Puppet Heap, some are freelance or working with other companies. Probably wouldn't even be much money for an hours work setting up a display. Probably about $100 or less to get someone to come in and do it, but it could be worth so much more to them in sales or publicity from it. People generally don't touch stuff at these booths unless they ask first, and even then theyre really there more to discuss deals.
  16. Blinky_Fish Member

My Head hurts!

I agree - I think that MR needs to go one step further than Sideshow/WETA and make ultra qwality figures in a fun, larger scale and familiar settings. More appealing,more personal and finally really a collectible. And my idea for the rats in every scene is key I might add...

I think Travis will fight the good fight for us all - I believe in him and he IS the ultimate Muppet fan - Ed might argue that fact but I envy Travis for more than his collection, he is doing it. - But It's halftime now... I say that accountability on the last release - Gonzo - needs to be addressed accordingly - Weather by going easy on us in pricing for a future issue or some other effort.

I also agree - These need to be treated like the SW line. Accurate replicas or stop defining them as replicas. I really think the compromise with the nose will stick with the line. And in the end we will see how that effects it's future. It's not like a 4" plastic figure that you can rerelease in another line - this is it. end of the line. So - Buy 'em to keep the line going - keep the landfill blue weirdo free... Let's see the Bear (QWALITY PITCHA'S) and hear something soon about him.:wisdom:
  17. frogboy4 Inactive Member

I also think Travis will help boost the Muppet's momentum at Master Replicas. Your rat idea is really cool. Might I one-up you and say that each figurine should include a rat, penguin or chicken somewhere in the design or seperately added in the package.

I just don't get the relevance of these EM figurines or what they really add by way of design. I guess they are considered high-end because of their materials and pricing? I don't understand the selling point. As pictured so far these are not designed for my kind of fan. The speakers in the EM designs seem to be having more fun than the characters.

Things that excite me would be sets of bookends featuring Beauregard and George the Janitor, Kermit at his desk deep in thought or something of that sort. Just spit-balling here but the ideas really are endless! I really want to see stuff like that and hope this first round of figurines does well enough to bring such dynamic moments to us later.
  18. MuppetCaper Active Member

Like I said though, I don't think MR is making these. I have a review coming up for there Nintendo products and I know that MR didn't make them. I believe that they are just carrying a lot of other companies products which is the Corgi side of MR.

But I am not really sure. MR seems to be going more toy collectables than replicas anymore. Which is sad to see happen.
  19. frogboy4 Inactive Member

If the MR name is on an item there's no passing the buck. They have say. To be honest, these seem like items that should be sold through the Disney.com store. After the initial sale of the Muppets to Disney the Mouse created a few products that directly reflected simplified versions of the Palisades designs. You can still find each of the EM Palisades action figures around online for twenty dollars or less. That's tapering off. Believe it or not the figures have never been more popular on the collector circuit. :eek:
  20. MuppetCaper Active Member

I totally disagree. MR was selling Kotobukiya Star Wars Statues when they had there license, they did not have there name on them. Sideshow sells RAW figures from Hot Toys on there site and Sideshow make there own stuff as well. Other companies do sponser other companies products. It is very tipical for other companies to hold other product lines. It is not a matter of passing the buck, but they do get a certain percentage of the profit for carrying there line. I have worked for many companies that have done this in the past. It isn't suprising that MR would be any different.