1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Master Thesis on Sesame Street

Discussion in 'Friends and Family' started by ann, Feb 10, 2012.

1. ann

ann New Member

hey!
    Im new here and I would like to ask for help for my Master thesis on Sesame Street.
    I graduated with a bachelor thesis on Sesame Street in Israel and Palestine analyzing how children television shows war and differences (multiculturalism, acceptance and so on) in situations like the israeli-palestinian.

Now i would like to continue this "project" on Sesame Street and focus my Master thesis on Sesame Stree in South Africa, following more or less the same "thesis-model". I will focus in particular on multiculturalism, multilingualism, collaboration, hiv and so, the main themes in Takalani Sesame related also to my African Studies Master.

Dont hesitate to suggest any kind of source material and feel free to comment and express your own idea. everything will be useful for my thesis work!

Thanks in advance.
    Ann.

(I feel sorry from the outset for my english, im an italian in Sweden, then, you could imagine, i speak more or less like the swedish chef.. hihihi!:) )
  2. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

It'd be helpful to get clips, I guess. Find people who live in South Africa and talk to them on the internet?
  3. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Have you seen the documentary The World According to Sesame Street?
  4. ann

ann New Member

wow! no, i havent seen the documentary, i will manage to get it somehow. thanks for the tip!
    And RedPiggy, i have a collegue who is married with a south african man, she went in SA during xmas holidays and she told me she didnt find anything.. :( too bad.. it was my source of information.. :S

Thanks guys!
    I have to present my object on thursday, i hope it will be fine even if i know it will be difficult to find information about it, it has been difficult also for the bachelor thesis.. But i really love SST and i really want to study it! :)
  5. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

Perhaps educational journals might also have something.
  6. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

That is an interesting thesis. I'm impressed with the bachelor you graduated with from the Israeli and Palastininan shows. (Very cool!)
    Good Luck with your presentation!
    If you need any info you can check stuff up on Muppet Wiki.
    http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Muppet_Wiki
  7. heralde

No problem! It's definitely worth it, there's so much information on Sesame Street's various projects around the world. And also talks about what a success story the South African show had been. :)
  8. ann

ann New Member

thank you guys! Do you have some tips to find more clips and videos than on sesameworkshop and youtube?

Thank you Muppet Fun 123, sometimes I really need some encouragements: all around Europe SST is not so well known and seen as a good study field..
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  9. heralde

The website WorldCat.org lets you type in an item or subject and shows you all the libraries that have copies of that item worldwide. You could see if there's anything close to you. Or contact a library and ask what their policy is for sending you scans of text or images, etc.
  10. ann

ann New Member

wow! where did I live during all this time? I didnt know it :)
    it's really true that we are gonna learn something new everyday! Thanks.. :)

In these two days im gonna write something for the presentation, im really curious to see the reaction of my colleagues and my prefessor :)
  11. heralde

Good luck! :)
  12. ann

ann New Member

From the discussion at the last seminar it seems that the focus has switched on an educational analysis of the contents of the program, comparing the South African, the Nigerian and the Tanzanian versions. Then the focus is on the program and its contents. Sure I will analyze how the contents work in relation to informal and formal education and I will understand which is the message/s, how is it shown and how the children perceive it. Then there is supposed to be a section on the aims reached and what is still to be done. Everything will be framed in the Education For All project/perspective.
    Btw, in this bulk of un-certainties on the object itself, I cant find the episodes.
    Any suggestion on where to find them? I would like to use something about ten episodes for each version (or, the espisodes broadcast during a week or a month or a certain period of time).. Maybe it is easier to find the tv-websites, if there is the possibility to watch them online or as a "the-day-after-rerun"..
    Otherwise, do you know where i can buy the dvds? Im a little bit "disappointed" that on sesameworkshop website there are no dvds of the international productions.. weird.