Material for eyelids?

greenman

Reaction score
Hi, everybody. I'm new to the forum. I started building puppets a few months ago and would like to know what kind of material (foam, felt) is used to make eyelids on muppet like puppets? I also would like to know if there is any type of thread puppet makers prefer to use when making puppets? I have been using nylon thread because of its strength. Is that a good choice? I do all my sewing by hand and it is a little hard to work as far as tangling and getting knots. Thanks for any help.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Welcome! :big_grin:
As far as I know, try felt for eyelids. As for thread, Muppets are "seemless", they carve the entire thing out of a block of foam. And they apply the fabric a special so when they do close-ups, they are seemless.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Actually, on most Muppets you can still see the seam. What HIDES the seams so well is the type of fleece they use to make the characters: Antron fleece. It's kind of got a fluffy surface which hides the seams very well. Of course, with fur, you don't have that problem. After you sew the puppet you just take a comb and comb the fur out of the seam.

They used to carve whole heads from foam (Bunsen, Pigs, Statler and Waldorf) but now they use a mold and then flock the molded heads.

For eyelids, you can use ANYTHING; but I prefer the cheaper fleece or the more cheaper felt material. Sometimes, if you use like a plastic spoon ladle, you can paint the eye lids on it, too.

Skeet

Reaction score
I don't know if they use this method on muppets but it looks really well when done. Try using pipe cleaner for eyelids. It won't be very large though but i guesse it depends on the look your looking for.

skeet

biblebetty

Reaction score
tangling and getting knots

There is a way to keep your thead from tangling & knots. I do a lot of beaded purse work and also hand sew some of my puppets. I use a wax called Heaven thread or bees wax. just run your thread thru the wax before you start sewing and it will keep your tangles to a mimium. I get a lot of tangles doing bead work and I find this works great.

Whatever

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
They used to carve whole heads from foam (Bunsen, Pigs, Statler and Waldorf) but now they use a mold and then flock the molded heads.
ToastCrumbs said that they mold Statler, Waldorf and Piggy, but they still carve everyone else.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
They "used to" carve whole
Nowadays, they have molds and flock the results. I think I read that the MFS movie went through 10 Piggy heads? Is that correct?