Matt Vogel Interview on Big Bird

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Wow, I didn't realize Matt had a relatively sizable family.

I liked the little in-character Q&A at the end of the article - a little surprised Big Bird didn't say he was a lark.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Interesting that Matt says it glows yellow inside the Big Bird suit. For some reason, I always assumed it was completely dark in their besides the little TV monitor the puppeteer uses to see their performance.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, keep in mind, those studio lights can be bright, and even Caroll has said that the suit part of Big Bird is really light - like Matt says, essentially feathers glued to a mess netting held together with rings similar to hula hoops. I remember Caroll said he once took a yellow highlighter to mark his lines of a script page, but that proved to be futile, because they disappeared inside the suit from it glowing yellow inside.

Not only that, but I guess certain material absorbs light moreso than others. When the EIG website was still up, I remember reading in the production notes that lighting was a big issue with the movie, because certain characters like Elmo and others really absorbed so much light that they appeared to be glowing on camera.