1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Matt Vogel

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by Krazedmuppet, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Krazedmuppet

Krazedmuppet Active Member

It would be sooooooo cool to be Matt Vogle! (the guy who is going to replace Carrol Spinny AKA Big Bird) I mean, he doesent have to do any work to get his puppet known, Big Bird is a living ledgend, its all se up for him. NOw Im not saying its easy work, it must be hard to live up to Carrol Spinnys standards of Big Bird, Im just saying he has the one of the greatest jobs in the world. I could never do that (mainly cuz I couldent sound like Big BIrd if my life depended on it) lol, Kepp up the good work Matt! :) Does he play anyone elce?
  2. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel New Member

Matt does a really good Oscar, too, although an official Oscar understudy hasn't been announced yet.

On Sesame Street, apart from his Big Bird duties, Matt is David Rudman's regular right-hand assistant on Baby Bear and Cookie Monster, and he's part of "Team Elmo," the puppeteers who perform Elmo's dancing and action sequences in Elmo's World.

He doesn't have any regular characters of his own yet, but like all the Sesame performers, he performs a lot of one-shot characters and background Muppets.

A couple of years ago Matt voiced Scooter and Janice for a Muppet racing game on Playstation. He's also a talented musican and filmmaker, and a nice guy, to boot.

secret squirrel
  3. Ryan

Ryan New Member

This is why we love you, Secret Squirrel. BTW, I was asking on Tough Pigs; Do you know how Bert's eyebrow is capable of moving? is it a string, or something more complicated?
  4. muppet maniac

muppet maniac Well-Known Member

...Wow.Wish I could hear him doing Oscar's voice.Has it ever been heard on the show?
  5. Secret Squirrel

Ryan. "I was asking on Tough Pigs; Do you know how Bert's eyebrow is capable of moving? is it a string, or something more complicated?"

The answer from another poster on the Tough Pigs board is pretty darn accurate. I forget their name for now. But seek there and ye shall find.

By the way, Matt Vogel is one of the performers of Audrey II in the Broadway run of Little Shop. Can't believe I didn't mention that in my previous message. There are bios at www.littleshopofhorrors.com.

secret squirrel
  6. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Ryan, I still think Bert's Brow is connected on either end to his head, and the center moves up and down, so I think it has pretty much the same concept as Animal's. I'd be pretty sure it has something to do with moving your finger inside the head.

Kynan said: "I don't know how the mechanism works exactly, but here's what I do know:
    The mouth grip has a little hole for the middle (or "rude") finger. When Eric lifts his middle finger, Bert's eyebrow goes up, and when he re-aligns his finger, the eyebrow goes down.

What I don't know, but I'd be prepared to bet, is that there isn't a hole behind the middle of the eyebrow, as you'd expect, but that there are two holes, one at either end of the brow -- the ends that don't move. A wire runs through the eyebrow, and by triggering the mechanism, the wire is squeezed, pushing it up.

Dodgy analogy: Imagine holding a playing card between your fingers. With a squeeze, the card will bend into a mild arch shape, and when you release, it returns to its original, cardy shape."

Now, I wonder which one it was?
  7. Fortron

Fortron New Member

Did you know: Vogel is the Dutch word voor Bird?
    It is true though.
  8. Secret Squirrel

"Did you know: Vogel is the Dutch word voor Bird?"

Matt and Caroll both wear orange slippers over their Bird feet during rehearsals, to cut down wear and tear on the official feet. Matt's slippers say "Vogel" on his right foot and "Foose" on his left, meaning, approximately, "Bird Feet."

secret squirrel
  9. Torarin

Torarin New Member

Bert's eyebrows are controlled with a mechanism where you put your middle finger in a little ring and when you pull it back it moves the eyebrows. To make them go the other way you push it. (Might aswell be one for up and one for down, not sure) This is pretty complicated mechanisms, it's not just a simple string. The eyebrows are attached to his head on both sides of the eyebrow to two "sticks" that rotate to move the eyebrow. Lets say you want them to go up. First you drag the ring towards the back of his head with your middle finger. The left part of his eyebrow would be rotated counter-clockwise. The other one would rotate clockwise.
  10. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Hiya, Squirrel--I love tidbits of informative trivia like that. It's fun!

:( *Pulling back on Bert's ring...*
  11. dbarrie

dbarrie New Member

Is Caroll Spinney slowing down?

The other day I tuned into SS for the 1st time in many moons. When I first heard Big Bird's voice it sounded like he had a cold, but then I discovered that it wasn't Spinney's voice. This Matt Vogel--how long has he been doing the Bird's voice? Is Spinney slowing down? Guess it's allowed at 70, but has he talked about retiring from SS? It would contradict what he had implied in his book (i.e. that he'll keep working until his time's up).
  12. Secret Squirrel

Matt performs the Bird only when Caroll isn't available. Mostly you'll see and hear him in Journey To Ernie, and occasionally on the Street.

As indicated in his book, Caroll still intends to perform Big Bird for as long as he possibly can. Meantime viewers get the benefit of a gradual transition and Matt has an amazing mentor.

secret squirrel
  13. DrGoshposh

DrGoshposh New Member

Is there any specific reason that Matt does the Journey segments as Big Bird exclusively? Was it a cost issue, or did they want to give the viewers a taste of both Birds to make the transition more gradual?
  14. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Well-Known Member

I would guess the segments are shot separately, so that probably has something to do with it. I also saw a street segment this year with the bird that I thought was Matt, but I could be wrong. Unfortunately I don't know what episode it was.
  15. WiGgY

WiGgY New Member

Once in a blue moon Matt does big bird for the street segment. I think the only time I heard Matt on the street was for a spanish word of the day segment. I guess Matt does Big Bird in JTE for the same reason Frank does Cookie and Grover as much as possible in the Cookie and Global Grover segments. It's probably a schedule thing.

I think it's good to have the performers switch on and off. It's much less of a shock when the final switch is made.
  16. Secret Squirrel

Wiggy/Buck. It's not a cost issue. Scheduling plays a part: JTE, like Elmo's World, is shot separately from the regular season.

Also (while Caroll is still very much fit and well), JTE is much more physical than the average street scene.

As to why you'll occasionally hear Matt's Bird voice on the street. It has become customary on SS to use a Bird double for street scenes when Caroll is unavailable. Noel McNeal was his regular stand-in until he left to do Bear, and as Rick Lyon mentions on his site, he has subbed as well. On those occasions Caroll would either pre-record or dub vocals. Now that Matt is Caroll's stand-in, Caroll doesn't always need to record the voice track.

There are always fans who enjoy spotting things like this, but ultimately the aim is for it not to matter at all.

secret squirrel
  17. WiGgY

WiGgY New Member

I think I heard a voice loop today. It didn't sync up totally. It isn't an issue though, but it is fun to try and spot this stuff. It's also interesting to hear the differences between Eric and Frank. I guess when the perfromers are still alive and performer it's fun, but if one of them were to ever pass, like Jim, it's not fun anymore.
  18. Xerus

Xerus Active Member

And I have noticed that Big Bird and Oscar are now doing skits together. Matt must be doing one character while Caroll does the other.
  19. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

does mat do any work with the two heade monster who really does the two head monster