MC Community: Where is it going?

AnimatedC9000

Reaction score
Excuse me if I'm just now joining the conversation, but...

Amen, Kevin, amen!

I, too, am concerned about the state of this community. Even though I'm one of the newer members, I've seen enough to know that... well, I don't know for sure. I'm just indecisive like that. Plus, I sort of take what people have to say to me at heart.

There I go, rambling on about myself... Back on topic, I'm saddened by the fact that people might leave. Especially if I haven't gotten the chance to know them well.

And on the subject of leaving MC, I don't think I"m gonna leave. I got my laptop taken away from me for a week, and yet for the first day all I could think about were the Muppets and this site. I begged Mom to let me have it back because it's like comfort to me.

That just shows how much I love you guys. (Or, how much technology-dependant/obsessed I am, which may explain... no, I won't go into that topic here. I'll probably just be questioned/take stuff too literally...)

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Don't want to get into a debate or anything, but for the most part the religious threads are very civil and it's something that's important to a lot of members. Just because there are disagreements doesn't mean it always equals fighting. Civil debating is often much more interesting than agreeing all the time. Tolerance should apply to all groups. :smile:

I guess it's just that people are barely allowed to discuss their faith anywhere these days, and it's not tolerant and it's not fair. I'd rather not see it happen here, but that is just my opinion. And again, I hope if there are faith based discussions, that they are civil. And I hope no one uses their faith to make others feel bad. And if they do, they should get in trouble.

I hope this will be the only post I make on here, lol, but the only thing I'll say is members' feelings are often hurt and people don't realize it. It's something all members should keep in mind when they post. That said, I don't want too much censorship to enter the picture. :smile:

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
...Boy, did I miss a lot just by not signing in yesterday.

First of all... I need to give a HUUUUUUUUUGE <HUG!> to Kev, Jamie, and D'Snowth. Well said, gentlemen. Well said. Thank you, Kev and Jamie, for the reminder of how much mods DO, and just how tough it can be to be one. I always try to remind myself to give mods plenty of credit, because I know you guys do a lot... but I've suddenly realized that I don't even come close to giving all the credit that's due. I'll work on that. And D'Snowth, I agree... Though I don't post nearly as much as I once did (and haven't in quite some time...) I could never leave Muppet Central completely, nor can I even imagine a Snowthless MC-- and I've got a darned good imagination, if I may say so myself. So you'd better stick around, pal! :attitude:

Like... hm, just about everyone else, it seems... I do adore that M. (Kudos, Jamie!) In fact... I can honestly say that I would buy merchandise with that M, if it were made available... And that's something I cannot say for anything else I have ever seen sold online (which includes quite a bit of Muppet stuff). I'll admit that I'm stingy, so it takes a lot to get me to buy something, and (for whatever reason-- Gonzo? No, not that reason) takes even more to get me to purchase online... And I really think that M would do it.

I really think post-padding is in the eye of the beholder...I mean, I come from forums where random off topic things with no point (not the same as connecting a topic to another in the form of illustrating a point IMHO) are seen as spam and warned against...So to me, random things like muppet buses are true spam posts that annoy me...I don't think that makes me any less of a muppet fan or MC member though.
...Well, first I wanna say that-- no offense intended here-- boy am I glad I don't go to those forums! :stick_out_tongue: And that I'm sorry you see Muppet buses and such as spam, because they have always been a part of the Muppet Central I've always known. You are right that a different perspective on it does not make you any less of a Muppet Central member or a Muppet fan. (And don't worry; I have full faith in your insanity.) I do feel like more members now are identifying as spam what I have always known as muffining (and I do mean always, as MC is the only forum I've ever really known), and that... Well, to be honest, it saddens me that-- at least for a while-- we'll probably be seeing a lot less muffining... But the only constant in life is change, so I'll just hope, if it does decrease, that the muffining doesn't go away completely, and that it will make a comeback... Because it is so much a part of MC that I seem to recall people going on muffining sprees to pull the forum out of previous "slumps."

I do wonder if you've ever seen any true muffining in action here? Because while it can get out of control sometimes, I honestly only remember one very brief point, in the almost three-and-a-half years I've been here-- probably closer to four, if you include my lurking time-- that anyone complained that there was too much muffining. It's a lot of fun, and usually absolutely hysterical.

...Well, this post seems to have gotten about five times longer than I originally intended. And for "not having anything else to contribute to the discussion," I sure found a lot more! ...But now I really am out of things to say. And since I've never been very good at ending big long posts like these, I'll just sort of end it right here.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Don't want to get into a debate or anything, but for the most part the religious threads are very civil and it's something that's important to a lot of members. Just because there are disagreements doesn't mean it always equals fighting. Civil debating is often much more interesting than agreeing all the time. Tolerance should apply to all groups. :smile:

I guess it's just that people are barely allowed to discuss their faith anywhere these days, and it's not tolerant and it's not fair. I'd rather not see it happen here, but that is just my opinion. And again, I hope if there are faith based discussions, that they are civil. And I hope no one uses their faith to make others feel bad. And if they do, they should get in trouble.

I hope this will be the only post I make on here, lol, but the only thing I'll say is members' feelings are often hurt and people don't realize it. It's something all members should keep in mind when they post. That said, I don't want too much censorship to enter the picture. :smile:
I agree. There is an element in *some* religious people that is intolerant, condescending and arrogant. These particular offenders act as though their beliefs, God or guru give them a license to behave that way. That is not the case with *every* person of faith or the majority of posts here on Muppet Central and that element is not always exclusive to religion. I'm part of the "Kermit Kult" myself and it can be hard to see Muppetdom go in a direction that I might disagree, but we all must keep are passions, wherever they are rooted, in check!

Here are some important questions to ask when posting anything on any forum:

Is my post adding to the conversation?
Am I "informing" another member of their "ignorance" in an unkind way?
How does the message I left represent me to others?
How would I react if someone else left a similar post directed toward me?
What would Jim or Kermit do?

All of this transcends religion. That's just a component that could be swapped out for another hot-button general discussion topic. I remember things got heated in the past with the war and the current United States administration. I would like to say we could have civil discussions on those issues at Muppet Central, but you know - I haven't seen the issue civilly discussed anywhere on the planet so it is best to not hold that debate here. I get it.

So, yeah. I agree. People should be able to share their beliefs on threads in appropriate areas with a constructive and thoughtful context. I was raised Christian and have my personal issues with the practice but no problem with JC (we do have the same initials). As a gay dude who's been out for over 17 years I have had trouble with some of His followers for one reason or another. It's a shame. Many folk here in beautiful San Francisco see this area as black or white too. I just don't see why understanding and respect on all sides is such a difficult concept. I think Muppet Central forum has dealt with people from all walks in a much more mature way that most other places on the web or in the world.

Now I must be going. My partner of nearly two years is waiting on me. Spending too much time here than with him could cause an argument. He he. :eek:

Redsonga

Reaction score
I do wonder if you've ever seen any true muffining in action here? Because while it can get out of control sometimes, I honestly only remember one very brief point, in the almost three-and-a-half years I've been here-- probably closer to four, if you include my lurking time-- that anyone complained that there was too much muffining. It's a lot of fun, and usually absolutely hysterical.
I've seen some of it and well..it honestly makes me a little angry and frustrated. Here I post a well thought out reply (or more likely, a question) and then it is buried behind two pages of random running jokes (not even the sort of jokes you can understand, but inside jokes, normally between two people) that has nothing to do with the topic (not even in a barely related linked way)...And then I wonder why I even post, when nine times out of ten the only serious reply I got before said topic went into spam in "What does it matter?" or "Who cares?" only in longer wording :frown:.
So, no, I don't care for it...and you should really give other forums a chance to, there is a big forum world out there :smile:!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I give hugs back to Toga, and thank her for her comments regarding my feelings about how I can't leave MC if I wanted to, and I certainly don't ever want to leave it, lol.

And Jamie? Look man, as I've mentioned before about doing a great big blog about the subject, although I am a Christian myself, I tend to be more open-minded about the subject of homosexuality, mainly because my mom is one of the many women in the world who just LOVES gay men (though my dad is all uber-anti gay). The thing of it is, we're ALL God's children: not just Christians, not just religious people, but ALL of us. He loves all of us - the atheists, the agnostics, the gays, the adulterers, the murderers, the thieves, everybody, and as such, He wants us to love each other (much like Daniel preaches every single day); notice all the billboards that have the quote from God saying "The 'Love Thy Neighbor' thing? I mean it"? Well, it's true. And another thing too, The Bible tells us that we should not be judgemental of other people. If that's the case, then why are so many other Christians bashing the gays? God loves the gays because He created them. It wouldn't surprise me if you and other gays were to fight back and bash straight people, or Christians for bashing them... in fact, I think I read somewhere that in California, or some other Western state like that, you can actually get five years in prison for insulting a homosexual? If that's the case, why doesn't the African-American community put white people in jail for racial slurs? Why don't fat people put skinny people who ridicule them in jail? Why don't middle-class people put the rich in jail for spending their tax money? Like Daniel says, LOVE EVERYBODY! I love everybody here, including you Jamie, and I just want you to know that there are some Christians out there who are open-minded about such "issues", if you will, and I consider myself one of them.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Honestly and truly no offense meant Snowth, Pooh, but I think this is exactly the sort of thing people were talking about when they said religious discussions make them uncomfortable. For anyone who doesn't hold your faith it's just a rather awkward time to try to get back into the conversation. I'm really, really not trying to insult either of you, but I think people would feel more comfortable without these sorts of discussions in this thread. :smirk:

Great ideas all around from everyone who's been posting. And Jamie, don't know if I said it, but I LOVE your "M" character too! Just PERFECT! :excited:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Honestly and truly no offense meant Snowth, Pooh, but I think this is exactly the sort of thing people were talking about when they said religious discussions make them uncomfortable. For anyone who doesn't hold your faith it's just a rather awkward time to try to get back into the conversation. I'm really, really not trying to insult either of you, but I think people would feel more comfortable without these sorts of discussions in this thread. :smirk:
It's just that, it's one thing if a faith discussion is rude and uncivil. But if it's not, if it's just a person talking about their faith in a positive manner, and is making the effort to be all inclusive, it's no different than discussing your favorite pasttime or hobby. Not everyone may share it, but it's not a crime to discuss it.

Again, this is just me, but people are already made to feel terrified about discussing their faith in society. I would really be upset if that happened here. To be honest, if it did, I would start limiting my posting. Don't mean to make a big thing, but nobody should be made to feel uncomfortable, for simply speaking their mind (and not trying to hurt people). And that goes for nonreligious and religous people. That is not the way to achieve peace, by telling people they can't speak simply because others don't agree.