MC Radio: Hoobs

scarecroe

Reaction score
One of the main reasons I'm a Bear fan at all is because MC Radio played some great songs from the show that were simply irresistable. Previous to these radio encounters I wasn't familiar with Bear at all... but now I'm a huge fan.

Similar setup for The Hoobs. Never seen it, doesn't interest me much. Luke provided Phil with some tunes that are now in MC Radio rotation, but I have to say, they're really not doing anything for me. As a matter of fact, I don't like them.

What are your thoughts on the Hoobs songs?

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. It is very helpful. I would like to hear from others though about the Hoob songs either way.

I would specifically like to hear what Hoob tracks people DO like (or those titles that you definitely DO NOT like).

I wish they would release a Hoobs CD with the better tracks on it...

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Phil,

There is one that i like, I think its 'Tula's Fairground' or something like that...

It goes "...You'll meet your old friend Tula there... "

But thats about it - LOL

See ya

scarecroe

Reaction score
In all honesty, I've been waiting for one to hit me the right way. You know, to have gotten really used to one or two of them. As it is, when a Hoobs tune comes on, my groan is followed by the turning down of the volume. They seem to lack the quality in writing that the songwriters were able to achieve on shows like Fraggle Rock and Bear.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Haven't heard anything other than the theme song (which was okay) but I do like the non-singing portions that I have seen. And the Hoobs site is spectacular. Beautiful use of Flash.

On another note - love the update to your avatar, Scott. Always good stuff.

Luke

Reaction score
I agree and disagree - i like a lot of the songs but i do agree they lack the quality of Fraggle stuff. I don't like Bear though so i guess it's all down to personal preference. I guess the writers are trying to achieve something similar to Fraggle music but the Hoobs shows are all produced a lot quicker and in greater volume than Fraggle was - the puppeteers actually record the songs in a purpose built studio just off-set. I actually think they are a lot better when you know the characters and shows, and you see the videos which are themed around the shows which can be pretty funny.

I do agree that with Hoobs there are a few strong songs (like the theme and Gypsy Rose Tula that Warrick mentioned) but a lot of weaker ones. It shouldn't be that people are bombarded with them though - i think i gave Phil less than 40 and there's supposed to be over 200 hours of songs on MC Radio. I guess maybe the rotation could be slowed down, only the stronger songs kept on - or the new series is on now so it's not just the same songs coming up on TV - i could give Phil a whole set of new songs to replace them with and just record the stronger ones. I do think though it's important for MC Radio to at least have a small selection from EVERY Henson show if it's supposed to be a comprehensive resource.

scarecroe

Reaction score
I'd like to see a few shows to sample it, but it doesn't air in the US. With Bear however, I was already becoming a Bear fan before I ever saw an episode just based on the songs. But as you said, it does come down to personal taste.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke
It shouldn't be that people are bombarded with them though - i think i gave Phil less than 40 and there's supposed to be over 200 hours of songs on MC Radio.
200 hours! I wish. :wink: Actually, right now we are at about 36 hours, which considering most Henson songs are 2 minutes or shorter is quite a few tracks. Expect A LOT of new stuff in 2003 though. Really looking forward to the additions.

There is about 20 Hoobs tracks in the rotation which comes out to about 2% of the total songs currently on the playlist. I try to keep the specific number of songs in a particular genre to certain percentages, so that as the rotation grows it remains balanced.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Phil, Luke + Scott,

I would also like to hear more different music on MC Radio, You know how much i love it already tho !

Maybe some stuff from shows like The Muppets Valentine Special, The Ghost Of Faffner Hall, The Jim Henson Hour etc...

I made some wav files of The Jim Henson Hour Music, If the quality is good enough you can use them.

The Jim Henson Hour Music

If anyone else makes any better quality MP3's of this music, I would like to know !

Thanks !

See ya