1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Meet Leela, Sesame Street’s newest cast member

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by Phillip, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

2. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Cool, she sounds very interesting and it will be nice to hear more about Indian culture. :)
  3. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

I sense the beginning of a generation gap next season: people my age associate the name "Leela" with the main female character on a very different TV show. It feels strange knowing that kids in day-care centers will grow up hearing that name and imagining a live-action immigrant woman in a laundromat...*hmmm*
  4. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

Why do you think that?
  5. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

"Leela" isn't exactly a common name in the United States (any more than "Kermit" or "Elmo" has been for years). So the first fictional character that comes to mind will be very different for preschoolers vs. adults who hear that name.
  6. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Lol, the street's going through another population explosion indeed, but hey, the more the merrier, and what street is more merrier than Sesame Street?
  7. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Thank you for keeping us alert, Phil! It's so exciting seeing new friendly neighbors and new places coming to the street!:)
  8. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

Yeah! We've been needing some other women actors on the show. You don't see Susan that much and Maria still is seen in plenty episodes and then there's Gina too. But can't wait to see the new season this coming August.
  9. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

How exciting! I can't wait to find out more about her on Sesame Street!
  10. mbmfrog

mbmfrog Active Member

Dang, at times like these I sure do miss the "Around the corner" set. :(
  11. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

Maybe there'll be something like the laundromat place around the corner or something like that.
  12. redBoobergurl

redBoobergurl Well-Known Member

How exciting! It's been quite some time since there's been a new member of the human cast! Thanks for the report Phil!
  13. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Did I read right? Did it say that Leela is the shows first indian character? What about Buffy?
  14. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

Buffy is Native American; Leela is Indian as in "from India". (I'm not trying to be politically correct here, but it does get confusing when the same name is used for two unrelated ethnic groups.)
  15. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Apparently, Buffy was Indian as in "Native-American", while Leela is Indian as in from the country of India.
  16. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

The reason this country was created was so people could live any way they like as long as the abide by the law. And if you have a problem with it then you have every right to that too. It's a a free country... You can be who you are.

If you celebrate St. Patrick's Day, that is an Irish tradition and one that America adopted as well. Most things in this country that are considered American have originated from somewhere else. Bob celebrates his Scottish heritage as well as other cast members theirs, but their all American do you even know that she was even said she was even born in India? If that's the case, then how could she "go back" if she was never even from their in the first place?
  17. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

Yeah, Buffy was First Nations.

I was so excited to hear about this news. I checked out the article; the actress (whose real name is Nitya; she is just using Leela as her character's name) looks so cute and friendly! And as far as I know, Indian culture hasn't been directly explored before, so this is really cool. :excited:

Sesame Street is all about acceptance and understanding people, and living in harmony. It is everything the muppets, Jim Henson, and Sesame Street stand for.
  18. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

Well without meaning to drag anything on I doubt it will be that serious.

Maria and Luis are common Spanish names so I doubt it's gonna mean all that much to the youngsters.
  19. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I agree, I remember that the first time I ever heard the names Maria and Luis was probably on Sesame Street. And it was just normal after that.
  20. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

It's always amazing to see new talent on Sesame Street. I'm really becoming a fan of last season's new member, Chris. I can't wait to see how this new blood is going to interact with some of the most famous characters in the world.

And I feel it's important to teach the culture of a country like India, which is a very up and coming economic power. It's important to show countries are full of different people, not just political ideas and economic power. Especially since a generation learned about India's culture from a certain stereotypical Simpsons character... :rolleyes: