1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Meeting at Schotsky's

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by WebMistressGina, Jul 6, 2012.

1. muppetfan24/7

muppetfan24/7 Well-Known Member

This is great! I didn't know Jim and Kermit came up with The Muppet Show. Gina, I am so glad you researched and know what is going on with the gang and how they got the media started in a different direction with Muppets. (laughs)! More plz!
  2. WebMistressGina

WebMistressGina Well-Known Member

And here friends, is the conclusion to chapter five and the next to last chapter here. The Muppet Show begins here...

Hours later and several stories about Fozzie Bear’s birth and childhood later, Kermit was reunited with his other three lunatic friends in the office of one JP Grosse.

Grosse was a business mogul, who owned practically every building in the area they were in, as well as some other businesses in different parts of California and the United States. For the moment, Grosse was the owner of a rundown theater what had once been the Benny Vandergast Theater, now known as the Vandergast Memorial Theater after the previous owner, who had been a great patron of the arts, had died. Kermit was vaguely aware of the building, well as aware of a building as one is when they are passing by about their business.

Rowlf had known more, knowing that the theater had been built by an actor named John Stone, who would later perform the role of Hamlet on its very stage. Vandergast, who had been an avid fan of the vaudevillian acts that had once been performed there, had used an inheritance to buy the building.

Grosse, being the billionaire that he was, had bought the theater and the land around it in hopes of tearing the building down. In fact, it was the chance appointment by Rowlf and Piggy that had stayed his hand; he had been poised to set out the construction crews as they walked in.

Kermit was fairly sure that Grosse wasn’t swayed by Rowlf’s love of music or the theater, but by the charm that Piggy seemed to be alluding to. He had never seen her bat her eyes or smile as much as she did while they were sitting in that office. And while that was bad enough, Rowlf and Gonzo weren’t helping either, as they were basically backing the pig in whatever flirtatious idea she had.

“So,” the elder Muppet replied. “I understand you folks are in the market for a theater.”

“Yes sir, Mr. Grosse,” Kermit said, trying to keep his smile as genuine as he could.

“Your friends here were telling me you plan on putting on some kind of Hollywood show, right?”

“It’s more than just a show, Mr. Grosse,” Piggy said, demurely. “We like to think of it as more of a…return to the days of theater.”

“Yes, yes,” Grosse replied, nodding. It was clear to the others that his mind – and eyes – were not on Piggy’s words or face.

“Mr. Grosse,” Kermit insisted. “The Benny Vandergast Theater would be the perfect venue for what we’re doing. As a businessman, I’m sure you can appreciate the amount of…business that a television show, which also happens to be performed in a live theater, would garner you.”

That managed to get the businessman’s attention. “You think this show of yours is going to make money, Frog?”

Kermit the Frog had a rather large reputation of being a really nice guy. Most people who met him said he was probably the nicest frog they had ever met and would probably ever meet… ever. But under that really nice frog was a frog who had been in the business, the Hollywood business, and had come across many a producer or director that reminded him of Grosse.

Dealing with these types of…people…had allowed him the insights on how to actively deal with them. It was all in how you spoke their language. And Kermit was quite aware that, while Grosse may have wanted to speak the language of Miss Piggy, his language was all business.

Looking the Muppet in the eye, Kermit declared, “I guarantee it.”

[hr]

“What was that?”

JP Grosse had asked the group to step outside while he talked to partners and advisors to decide if giving these five weirdos access to his theater was a good idea or not. The quintet had graciously stood and walked outside, where Kermit immediately turned on three of his friends.

“What was that?”

“What was what?” asked Gonzo.

“That display in there,” Kermit reiterated. “No more. We aren’t doing that ever again.” Turning to Piggy, he said, “You didn’t have to do that and you don’t have to that. I won’t allow it anymore.”

“You won’t allow it?” the pig questioned, raising an eyebrow. She wasn’t sure if she should deck him or kiss him and unfortunately, both options were incredibly tempting.

“We had everything under control,” Rowlf insisted, but was stopped by Kermit.

“Yeah,” he said, sarcastically. “You really had him controlled, Rowlf.”

“Look Kermit,” the dog stressed. “Piggy’s a big girl and she was quite willing…”

“Well, she shouldn’t!”

“Piggy doesn’t need you as a bodyguard, Kermit,” Gonzo argued.

“In case you gentlemen have forgotten,” Piggy growled. “The pig is standing right here and believe me, if you don’t think she can’t handle herself from some lecherous rich boy, she is more than happy to prove you wrong.”

“Guys,” Fozzie whined. He had taken off his pork pie hat and was worrying it in his hands. “Please stop fighting. I really don’t like conflict.”

“Now look what you’ve done,” Piggy replied, walking over and patting the bear on the shoulder. “You’ve upset Fozzie’s young sensibilities.”

“Sorry, buddy,” Gonzo mumbled.

“Kermit,” the bear whispered. “What if…what if we don’t get the theater?”

“Then we’ll look for something else,” Kermit reassured him. Looking at the other three, he said, “In a way that doesn’t demean anyone here.”

Before could agree or dispute the frog’s speech, the door to JP Grosse’s office opened. “Okay Frog,” he said, chomping down on a cigar. “You got yourself a theater.”
  3. WebMistressGina

Well, to be technical Jim Henson came up with the Muppet Show and IIRC, the whole point of the show was to target both adults and kids. And I ran with that.

BTW: IIRC isn't a company; it stands for "If I remember correctly".

I'm aware of the continent set and had debated about including that, as well as some other stuff, but now I think I'm gonna do an Auntie Ru and put them as scenes from Schotsky's or something.

Thanks for reading, everybody!
  4. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Yay. Thank yous for posting this. Nice touch including the theater's builder from back in the year 1800. And good that we got a bit of Kermit defending Piggy/sparking her ire or admiration in that aside. But how will this help the gang save Shotsky's in the final sixth chapter? Or will their favorite bar get the rude levelling others think it deserves? Please, post more.
  5. WebMistressGina

And here we are everyone, the last chapter of Meeting at Schotsky's. Coming up next, really will be Grosse End Pointe.

Chapter VI – Last Ride

Rehearsals within the Muppet Theatre were finished, tying up a long and trying day where the insane and crazy ruled with an iron fist.

The end of the day was never really the end of the day, as many of the regular performers would stay around, working on whatever it was they worked on. Usually it was the act they planned on performing, though mostly it was just their own workings.

Kermit and Scooter, as was their custom, usually stayed later at the theater in order to work on the financials, as well as any administrative tasks that needed to be taken care of. As the captain and first mate of the SS Insanity, their jobs were never done at the end of the day.

Rowlf also stayed behind, working on tuning his piano, while both Gonzo and Fozzie were working on their material.

“Alright Scooter,” Kermit said. “We’re done here. I just want to go home.”

“Hold that thought, frog of my heart,” came the voice of Fozzie. Behind him was that of Gonzo and Rowlf, who were both coming off stage. “Let’s head over to Schotsky’s, for old times sake.”

“Kermie, are you ready?” Miss Piggy was coming down the stairs from her dressing room, all set to go.

“We’re heading to Schotsky’s,” Gonzo replied, once they saw her. “You in?”

“Tonight?”

“This offer expires in 3…2…”

“Alright, I’m in!”

“Have a good time you guys,” Scooter said, watching as the group started to head out. He was packing up for the night and would make sure that Beauregard knew to lock up, that the rats wouldn’t cause too much trouble, and would wish their benevolent phantom a frightful night.

“Hey,” Rowlf said, looking between both Kermit and Scooter. “Think we should take the kid with us?”

Kermit turned to look at Scooter and nodded. “Sure,” he replied. “We can take the kid with us.”

The assistant raised an eyebrow at the two before looking around him. “I’m assuming you’re talking about me,” he smirked. “You all realize that I’m not a kid anymore, right?”

Fozzie threw a fuzzy around the Muppet’s shoulders, pulling him in for a side bear hug. “Aw Scooter,” he chuckled. “You’ll always be ‘the kid’ to us! Wanna come with us to Schotsky’s?”

Despite the protest of being a kid, Scooter’s face immediately lit up like a child being allowed to go along with their parents on a special trip or being able to sit at the adult table during the holidays. “Can I?”

“Sure Scooter,” Kermit said, smiling at the page. Scooter had certainly been a big part of their beginning, even if he hadn’t been there at the very beginning. Kermit had known almost immediately that the teenager had been placed there by JP Grosse for the purpose of spying and keeping them under his thumb. And it probably would have worked out for the businessman if Scooter hadn’t found his purpose within the theater.

Scooter had found his creative and technological outlet with them; Kermit would even go so far as to think that Scooter’s head for business was a result of them, but that could be him being a bit bias.

The director nodded to their janitor as he passed them. “Make sure you lock up, Beau.”

“Yes sir, Mr. Kermit!”

“And make sure the rats stay out of trouble!”

“Already talked to Rizzo about it,” Gonzo said.

“Have a frightful night, Uncle Deadly!” Fozzie shouted at the ceiling. Their resident phantom, though more crotchety than compassionate, was still very much a part of their lives and their theater. His portrayal in their movie was spot on and only told a small portion of the help he had given them over the years. With goodbyes said and the place shutting down for the night, the six friends headed out for one last drink.

Though they hadn’t been in the bar for a number of years, Schotsky’s was still the same place that a frog had stumbled in to one night, where a dog played piano, and where a group of new friends had come up with some of their best and greatest ideas.

For Scooter, the new kid on the block, the place looked like the regular neighborhood bar, the kind where everyone knew your name and what your drink order was; however he was well aware that this wasn’t just an ordinary bar that patrons of Hollywood frequented. This was the place where the first five Muppets had gathered around a table, had bonded as friends, and had created a show unlike anything else.

The mood of the place was jovial, though you could tell that the atmosphere was melancholy; apparently, they weren’t the only ones who were coming in to say goodbye before the place went down. Scooter had been reading and asking about Schotsky’s all day, finally learning that the due date for demolition was only one week away and despite the many protests, it looked as though nothing could change the mind of the city on tearing it down.

The bartender greeted them, clearly knowing the quintet from previous meetings. He pointed to the only empty table in the place, obviously holding it in the case that they should stop by. A waitress was already walking by, depositing drinks and bringing an extra chair for Scooter before flying off to attend to another table’s request.

Now that they were there, where everything started, there didn’t seem to be any words. What words could explain how many nights were spent talking around this table, either on the show or the movies or nothing at all? What could you say when the place where a good portion of your life was to be destroyed? Scooter looked around at his friends, wondering if they were even aware they were all sitting the same, all with the same expression on their faces.

Was Piggy even aware that she had subconsciously designed her kitchen in a home version of the bar? From the type of table design to that of the distance between the table and the kitchen island, which had always had a bar type feel to it.

Just when the page opened his mouth to say something, Kermit beat him too it, holding up his bottle and saying, “To old friends who’ve just met.”

A grand toast to remember, as well as an echo to the first thing they had ever toasted to in that bar and that exact table. Kermit went to drink when he noticed the group that sat a ways from them. “Oh no,” he murmured, pulling the bottle from his lips.

“What?” Scooter asked, seeing the look on his boss’ face.

Kermit immediately put the bottle down, startled that anyone had heard him. “Nothing!” he cried. “Absolutely nothing! Nothing to see!”

Which of course caused the others to turn to see what he had.

The frog could have kicked himself from saying anything, noting how they all muttered under their breaths about the group cattycorner to where they were sitting, the very place they came to whenever they were in the bar. “Who is that?” asked the assistant.

“The newsies,” Kermit sighed.

“Who’re the newsies?”

“Garnet’s looking a little long in the tooth, isn’t he?” Piggy asked, throwing a look to Rowlf.

“Wonder how that lawsuit worked out,” mumbled Gonzo.

“Lawsuit?” the diva asked, turning a surprised smile towards the stuntman.

“Oh yeah,” Gonzo replied. “Didn’t you hear? He and his boys got caught up in a hacking scandal with a major news network.”

“Really?” the starlet stated. “How delightful.”

“Guys,” Kermit groaned. “Please let’s not have a repeat of the ‘75 incident.”

“There was an incident in ’75?” Scooter asked.

“You mean the incident in which they started?” Piggy growled. “Now I will fully admit I threw the drink in Donny boy’s face, but they owe us an apology!”

“Their apology, Piggy,” the frog began. “If you remember, was community service, which is normally not given to someone with a previous record.”

“Well, well, well,” replied a voice. Looking up, the quintet were approached by the very group they had been complaining about – the newsies. Lead by lead anchor Don Garnet, the group were the average cocky and over inflated news team that you would expect from a seventies TV room and they dressed it too, with their seventies style suits and hair.

“If it isn’t the world’s favorite group of fake celebrities,” replied Garnet, a burgundy Muppet with a brown pompadour.

“And here we’re graced with the world’s favorite fake news team,” Piggy retorted. “Oh wait. I’m thinking FOX news; you’re nobody’s favorite news team.”

“What can we help you with, Mr. Garnet?” Kermit asked, wearily.

“We just wanted to stop by, Frog,” Garnet stated. “No harm in that. Shame we couldn’t finish up our last tussle.”

“We couldn’t finish that last tussle because we beat the stuffing out of you,” Piggy replied, sweetly. “Those stitches healed up nicely.”

Garnet absentmindedly rubbed his right temple, where he had gotten those stitches from sliding down the bar and a line of glasses. “Yeah well,” he muttered. “Stitches were the least of our problems. We had to make sure we didn’t have rabies!”

“Hey man,” Rowlf said. “If you bite me, I’m gonna bite you back.”

“There’s a headline,” Scooter piped up. “Newsman bites dog. News at the animal hospital.”

The table laughed, causing the news team to bristle. “Hey,” one newsie – this one being Scoop Newman – said. “You’re new.”

“Who’s the kid, Frog?” asked Garnet.

“Grosse,” Scooter stated, crossing his arms and leaning back in his chair. “Andrew Grosse.”

“Oh,” Garnet nodded. “One of JP’s boys, huh?”

“Heir, to be exact.” While he hadn’t done it in a while, Scooter was more than capable of using his name to make a point. “In fact, don’t I own the building your station is in?”

Sobering up, Garnet ended their conversation with, “Well, the boys and I gotta be going.”

“Aw,” Scooter said. “That’s a shame. But understandable, especially with that lawsuit and paternity test you got going on.”

If Garnet was angry, the very coloring of his being covered it, but from his posture they could tell he was seething. “Sniff you jerks later,” he huffed, turning and taking his news crew with him.

“This,” Rowlf chuckled. “Is why we brought you with us.”

“Really, Rowlf,” Scooter replied, a huge grin on his face. “You sure it wasn’t because of my charming personality, my quick wit, or my boyishly good looks?”

“Those were bonuses, dearheart,” Piggy said.

“It’s too bad we didn’t think about bringing you earlier, Scooter,” Kermit whispered. That brought the focus back to why they were there in the first place.

“Yeah,” Fozzie sighed. “I wish there was some way we could save this place. I’m really gonna miss it.”

One week later

Another week, another opening, and another show. The Muppets kept chugging along the best way they knew how, with as much calamity, confusion, and chaos that can be jammed into a thirty minute show. Their live theater audience – for whatever reason – kept coming back for more and the Muppets were always gluttons for punishment.

The day hadn’t started out that way though. For a group of Muppets, that day was the one in which their beloved bar, Schotsky’s, was being torn down to make way for what ever unnecessary mall or road that the state of California had decided needed to be in that area.

The group of five had been sitting down in the cantina, almost the same way they had been sitting a few weeks ago when learning that Schotsky’s was being torn down. And in the exact same situation as well – watching Scooter try to stomach down that morning’s breakfast.

“Why do I torture myself every Sunday morning?” Scooter groaned. “Why don’t we ever have breakfast at your house on Sundays?”

“We do have breakfast at my house,” Kermit replied. “But if you remember, we liked it so much, we came in late.”

“And once again, Kermie,” Piggy retorted. “We were fashionably late. And we saved our poor stomachs from whatever Scooter is about to put in his.”

“Hey Scooter,” Gonzo goaded. “I have a crisp ten dollar bill if you eat that whole thing.”

“Ten dollars?” the page asked, incredulously. “Like I can’t buy you.”

“I could buy you!” the daredevil retorted.

“Not if I bought you first!”

“Kids these days,” Rowlf chuckled. “Huh Kermit?”

As on cue, Fozzie Bear came running in, excited, out of breath, and with a paper in his hand. “Is anyone else getting a weird sense of de ja vu here?” Gonzo asked, seeing the bear nearly slip and fall as he skidded by their table.

“You’ll never believe it!” he sputtered.

“Alright,” Piggy replied. “I don’t believe it.”

That stopped the bear for a moment. “But I haven’t told you what it was yet.”

“Well then,” Piggy said, slowly. “Tell me and maybe I’ll believe it.”

“You’re holding a paper, Fozzie,” Kermit noticed. “Anything interesting?”

“Yeah Kermit!” the bear exclaimed. “Someone saved Schotsky’s!”

“Really?” the frog said, taking the paper and reading over the article. “In a surprising move, Schotsky’s – the neighborhood bar that was schedule to be demolished today has been saved. A spokesperson from City Hall confirmed that several anonymous benefactors have contributed enough clout and money to preserve the bar as a historic landmark.”

“Wow,” Fozzie sighed, happily, sliding into a nearby chair. “A historical landmark. Isn’t that great?”

“Absolutely,” Kermit replied, glancing at the others seated around. “You certainly have to have a lot of money to get City Hall to preserve a building like that. Like…working for Google or being one of the richest plumbing magnates in the world, for instance.”

“Or even being a famed super model or an internationally recognized celebrity of stage and screen,” Scooter quipped, looking at the frog.

“Something like that,” Piggy murmured.

“It could be anyone!” Fozzie cried, causing the others to look at him.

“Yeah,” they all said.

“Could be,” Gonzo chuckled.

“Well then,” Rowlf said, standing and picking up his plate. “With Schotsky’s safe and sound, how about a free round? On me?”

“I’m definitely up for that,” Fozzie replied.

“Well,” Kermit replied, also standing. “I don’t know about you all, but I’m very sure our director would like us to go upstairs and get some work done.”

“Yeah,” Gonzo sighed, standing along with the others. “The guy’s a real taskmaster.”

“I’m sure he’ll be pleased to hear you say that,” the frog groused.

Another day, another show, and another meeting at Schotsky’s.
    Muppetfan44 likes this.
  6. muppetfan24/7

muppetfan24/7 Well-Known Member

This was an awesome story! I can clearly hear the performers of today right now which are: Kermit (Steve Whitmire), Gonzo (dave Golez), Rowlf (Bill Baretta), Miss Piggy & Fozzie (Eric Jacoberson), and Scooter (David Rudman).
  7. The Count

Is this the big finis we were hexpecting? Sorry, but the lack of the "The End" tag at the end there always confuses me. Nice to have a sense of closure what with the bar saved, hey, they've got to have a reason to keep coming back now that they finally included/allowed Scooter to join them. Look forward to whatever's next.
  8. WebMistressGina

Yes. Story all done. You can now post said story on the library of many Muppet manuscripts!

:halo: Bye Bye
  9. The Count

Aacch, if ya leave now, yal na get a cookie!
    :insatiable: You got cookies?
    Aacchai, les share 'em, maybe.
  10. WebMistressGina

Oooo...cookies get maybe in new story thread, hmmm?

Yes. Yes. Say yes.
  11. The Count

:insatiable: You mean me or that moderator guy? Cause me always willing to cameo. Ooh, cameos, those like Oreos, me love Oreos. So you post story soon? Mmm, Six Ball or Muppet Adventures, both sound delicious.
  12. newsmanfan

newsmanfan Well-Known Member

--------------
    Very fun to read! You did capture that feeling of impending loss when one faces a piece of their past about to be gone forever, with the Muppy Gang all reminiscing and then going out for one last round. LOL at Ron, the Burgundy newsmuppet...but HEY! "The Daily Show" is the best fake news outlet and I won't let you say anything otherwise!! :news:

I liked the plot, loved the dialogue, giggled at the jokes throughout. Just a few niggles bugged me this time, but you're definitely improving your editing skills; I only caught one instance of "that of" this time around, and just a couple of incorrect verb tenses. ("might be bias" instead of "biased", for instance.)

Your ideas for stories are original and you stay true to the characters, even with the snappy Sorkinesque dialogue. Lots of fun! Thanks for another enjoyable ride. :)
    -------------------
  13. The Count

Yes, the Daily Show is the best. It even has lyrics for its catchy theme song, as coined by their first guest, the Bill Murray.

But... The "Muppy" Gang? Kris, have you been bought off by J.P.'s dog? Is he now in charge of Nafrisco? *Ding.
    We might have to launch an MC investigation. :search:
    newsmanfan likes this.
  14. Muppetfan44

Muppetfan44 Active Member

Finally, I have the time to comment on the end of this story.

Great job! I love your fresh take on character dymanics between the famous five and I really hope that you write a story in continuation of this one so we can see more of your work. Love the back and forth between Rowlf and Piggy!

Keep up the great work!!
  15. WebMistressGina

Horribly sorry that I didn't respond to this when I had planned.

I've been in that situation, where a place I loved was turned into crap. The UA student to be exact.

Glad to see someone got my Anchorman reference. I have another idea with that, but it's a 'trailer' at this point, but I might but it up.

And yes, The Daily Show is the best fake news outlet ever; that was actually a jab at FOX news, which was actually a shout out to Piggy's own dissing of FOX news, which is probably one of the best statements I have ever heard her say. Ever.

Glad everyone is enjoying the crazy ideas my brain thinks up. I'm still working on getting my fingers to slow down when my brain is thinking, but I'm hoping that the addition of the desk (which I have now!!) will aid in that.

So while no one has asked, there were a couple of scenes that I had thought up, but didn't put in, so I wrote them down in the chance that 1. someone should ask or 2. I find a spot for them later. So if anyone would like to see a lead in to the first Muppet Show or even that nasty incident in '75, let me know, I'll get an actual one shot (or two shot) out to the masses.

Thanks for reading!
  16. Ruahnna

Ruahnna Well-Known Member

I finally got around to reading this one and wanted to make a few comments. I mostly enjoyed the overall storyline and I thought that some of your dialogue was very good.

IMNTBHO, you do Rowlf better than the others, and he was very recognizable as himself. Scooter was almost-grown-up in this one (if you have to say it, Scooter, you probably aren't quite there yet) but familiar and it was nice to see him still able to haul out the old family-name trump card when necessary. Coming from the family that he did, Scooter is surprisingly sweet and decent, but I like the thought that he would step to the plate to defend his muppet family. That was a nice touch, as was Kermit finally allowing Scooter to "tag along." I think Kermit would make sure that Scooter knew how much was valued--Kermit is really good at saying that to his friends. (He was always a little more tongue-tied with women, hence him always using the scripts to interact with Piggy.)

While I enjoyed the story that you told (once I pushed myself into the whole "altered reality" thing), and there were things that you did well with all of the characters, there were some things about your characterizations that I wanted to mention. Let me say here—and later—and everywhere that I am very opinionated and bossy and hope I own it (my bossiness!) but that I am NOT trying to tell you how to write or what to write. I just wanted to point out some things for you to think about because I am happy to see that you are continuing to write more stories. (I’m getting to them, truly. I have two more papers to write and then I’ve done with my semester.) If you don’t agree with my assessments, tell me to jump in the creek, okay?

I agree with you that Gonzo was a bit of a lecher, but he was not quite the touchy-feely creep that you portray him to be here. He's more of a harmless opportunist. More disturbing than his casual groping of Piggy at every turn, however, was the very casual way that ALL of the men in the story ignore Gonzo’s inappropriateness and leave Piggy to fend for herself. It's not that she's not capable--it's simply that, despite pulling out her chair, opening her car door, etc., they don't insist that one of their own treat her with respect. A flirting insinuation or even an outright pass, Piggy could (and did) handle, but the repeated touching bothered me a little. (In my opinion—and in my hometown—if you touch a lady who has asked you to stop, somebody’s going to clean your clock—and I don’t mean with Windex.)

Fozzie was really pretty good, but in The Muppet Movie, Fozzie might be insecure about his talent and popularity, but he does not question his importance as Kermit's friend, not even when Miss Piggy arrives on the scene. In fact, when Piggy is shamelessly praising Kermit's leadership (perhaps that should be, when Kermit scripts Piggy to shamelessly praise him!), Fozzie stands up for himself. "Say 'The bear was magnificent,' he mumbles, but he is fighting for his share of praise--not his share of Kermit's attention. I thought it was an interesting idea to set up a rivalry between two of Frank’s most popular characters and between two of Kermit’s best companions, but I didn’t see that much in those character in TMS or subsequent movies. Only Fozzie’s moroseness about being left out of Kermit’s date with “Lady Holiday” addresses it, and that was a movie plot point, not something that actually happened between Kermit and Fozzie themselves. As a plot device, I think it was interesting, but I hope to see Fozzie and Piggy reach a more sincere level of friendship in your later stories.

While Miss Piggy was beautiful, brave and determined to win her frog, she had a very unenviable part to play. The frog she loves (and who is obviously interested in her—she’s not blind nor crazy or imagining it) is diffident to a fault, vacillating between trying to palm her off on his lecherous friend and being mad at her for receiving attention from the lecherous friend. His “No, I don’t like her like that” rejection smacks of high school, and we never saw Kermit be indifferent to Miss Piggy until Jim passed away. Kermit could hold his own against her tantrums, her flirting with other stars and her repeated demands that he move faster on the relationship front, but I never thought him indifferent to her. He finally objects because she flirts with JP, but it seemed to me to be more about the fact that Piggy was sealing the deal with the theater instead of Kermit, not that he was genuinely caring about whether or not she was “demeaned.” He certainly didn’t mind when Rowlf was belittling to her, or Fozzie whined about her, or Gonzo made pass after pass at her, touching her inappropriately more than once in his presence. As a gentleman and a frog, he should have told Gonzo to back off—if only out of courtesy.

I noticed that you had Kermit whispering a lot and wondered about that. Was there a reason he was whispering to his friends when they were all talking normally? I didn’t quite get that, and I was sort of amused that he was so grumpy all the time, even on the road with Fozzie. He seemed to live in a perpetual state of unhappiness that everyone around him felt compelled to appease. I agree that everyone is protective of him, but he’s not a continual pain in the fanny. He’s acerbic, not crabby; demanding, but not unresonable; snarky at time, but not mean.

I like the thought that they were able to save the deli—perhaps Chef can man the grill at some point. I can certainly see Camilla in a pink polyester waitress uniform taking orders in diner lingo.

You write well, Gina, and I hope you’ll do more of it. Take what I said with a grain of salt if it’s not useful…

Best wishes,
    Ru
    muppetfan24/7 likes this.
  17. WebMistressGina

Huzzah! I'm always quite happy when you get a change to read one of my fics and the fact that you take time out to do so (and that goes for the rest of you) is tre magnifique!

I am prepared, madam. Let the games begin!

:confused: Gonzo touched her once - when they had just returned from New York (K&P) and Gonzo tried to put his hand on her leg; he quickly learned not to do that again. No one was ignoring it, especially not Kermit. He called Gonzo out on it -

Chap 5 - “Can’t you control your libido for five minutes?” Kermit chastised.

Gonzo may have flirted, but he knows where his boundaries are, especially with Piggy; he may toe the line, but that's about it. It Happen on Monday, I think, explains their relationship much better as frienemies; it was Gonzo's conversation with Kermit in Monday Dinner Date that ultimately caused IHM to happen.

I was running with the idea that the movie was a Hollywood retelling, ie - some of it happened, but most of it was thrown in for action and adventure. You'll notice that I didn't add Piggy's praising to this (cause I'm not sure that actually happened and as you pointed it, could be something that Kermit threw in).

You'll definitely want to check out The Great Beartender then, as it's a Piggy/Fozzie feature.

The Monday Series - It Happened on Monday, I think is a good representation of the fact that Fozzie and Piggy are friends, even if they don't outwardly show it (due in part to Frank Oz being both people); there is a moment towards the end that Fozzie rebels against this notion that he'll side with Kermit in an argument every time, when he's equally loyal to just about everyone.

I must, I must disagree.

:eek:

Oh calm down, I'm sure she wouldn't hurt me. Would you? :cry:

Kermit could be very indifferent to her during the show run, usually giving her want she wanted in exasperation or pain of death. His behavior may have been high school-ish, but I was also trying to write from the prospective of a guy (which I am not. I know, I've checked) and they really don't mature until they're, you know, 40. So, yes I could see Kermit being all, "I don't like her! Shut up!" with Gonzo, but also a little annoyed that Gonzo also has an interest in her.

Throughout the Muppet Show, I never saw Kermit be all that lovey dovey to her, only on the occassion when someone else was paying attention to her; it was only in the movies that he seemed to show any genuine feelings for her.

And speaking of Gonzo, again, I actually did omit the scene that would have led into that first sketch of TMS; the one with the Muppet Glee Club singing "Temptation", that was supposed to be a bet between Piggy and Gonzo, which would ultimately show that Gonzo was pretty much trying to help Piggy get Kermit's attention.

Um...throw me a bone on this, as I don't remember that.

If you mean that I had Kermit whispering to himself, then yes. I was trying to bring back snarky, sarcastic Kermit, who seems to have mellowed (as he should!) through the years.

My thought was that initially Kermit started on this journey for himself and ended up becoming the reluctant leader of a band of wackos, to be blunt and honest. By themselves, they are pretty fine (well, maybe not Gonzo), but together, they are just a straight jacket away from being certifiably crazy.

It wasn't that he was unhappy, it was that plans he had made seemed to be turned upside down when these guys came along. It's the straight man's lament, almost; where if he was just away from these crazy people, the world would be sane again.

But as we've noticed, Kermit might want sanity, but he's quite happy on the USS Insanity.

I always taken concrit was being helpful, so no worries. :) Again, I'm pleased and honored that you'd read all the crazy ideas that I seem to dump on all of you, so the pleasure is always mine.

The one downside I always have is that what I see in my head is not always what you all see in your heads when you read; so when I have an idea that I think makes sense, it might not make any sense to you, the reader, so I'm always happy when someone sees something that I didn't or that my mind went with without telling me.

Hopefully you'll get around to reading the Monday series, which I think takes a much closer look at the relationships that surround the pig and frog and what I hope will answer some of the questions/concerns you had about Gonzo and Fozzie.

Glad you read it and glad you enjoyed it!!
  18. The Count

About that Monday series, *waits for Bought It to be updated.

And there were some genuine nice moments between Kermit and Piggy on the show. The one example I point out, because it's one I myself like, is when Kermit compliments Piggy after she sings "Just An Old Fashioned Girl", it plays on MCR so you've probably heard it.

:news: We now return you back to your regularly-scheduled fanfics.