Meeting Caroll Spinney

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Yesterday was a fantastic day in Montclair, seeing Caroll at the Film Festival and being part of the first American audience to view the "I Am Big Bird" documentary.

Ryan- it was a pleasure to meet you.

While we were waiting to be let inside, Caroll arrived and met a few of us in line, even got a handshake and "I like your shirt", one of my many Sesame shirts .

The movie itself was phenomenal, and even if you think you knew a lot about the man, you learned a whole lot more.

Caroll and his wife Debra came out afterwards to a standing ovation, fielded a number of questions, and a few audience menbers got to show off their puppet creations (all of them purple! Neat!).

Caroll even pulled out Oscar, and took a few more questions. I was in the front row, and my wife kept nudging me, "Oscar is staring at you!" Even if Caroll was looking somewhere else, Oscar seemed to fix his gaze on me.

We were ushered outside, and Caroll stayed and met with everybody. Everybody got their photo-op, autographs, exchanging pleasantries, etc., and it was so relaxed and calm. I've been to smaller gatherings and seen people pushing and shoving each other to get closer to their heroes.
But here there was no mob, no stampede, no rush for Caroll to be somewhere else, no "Sorry, that's all we have time for". Caroll stayed until every last person got a chance to meet him.

Finally got my chance to pose with him and Oscar (Oscar even threw in "Nice haircut, Shaggy!"
I answered "I was around when you were orange!" Oscar:"Man, are YOU old!")

Got to meet Debra, too, who is an absolute sweetheart. If you get to see the film, you'll see just how close the two are. They're a match made in Heaven.

After the crowd thinned out, Caroll put Oscar away. He even autographed a picture I took with him at ComiCon a few years back. He sat down next to me (he must need a break after holding up Oscar for almost an hour). I let him know there were parts of the film that moved me to tears, but there were plenty of smiles too. He reached over and gave me a hug.

I can die now.

I have been so fortunate to be able to meet a number of Muppet people (especially Sesame people).
Caroll Spinney is such a class act. To be able to share so much time with him was a blessing beyond belief.

I hope all of you get to meet your heroes someday, and let them know what a difference they made in your life.
I was around in 1969 for the very first episode of Sesame Street, so Caroll, thank you for a lifetime of Sunny Days.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Wow, that's so cool! I'm glad you got the chance to meet Carroll Spinney and that he was so nice and approachable to his fans. It sounds like it was an incredible day.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
From what I have heard most of the Muppeters are extremely nice and things when it comes to meeting there fans.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
That's amazing. Caroll seems like a very generous man. I wish I could have this honor of meeting him.

Katzi428

Reaction score
I'm so happy for you!! Carroll sounds like a very nice man! (LOL about Old & Shaggy . :grouchy:..Heh heh heh!)

cjd874

Reaction score
I hope this film gets released on DVD. That would be perfect for all Sesame fans like us. I would especially like to see the rare photos, footage, and hear the more interesting/dangerous/hilarious anecdotes like the trash can fire, Big Bird and Shivers the Penguin, working with Flip Wilson, Bob Hope, various Presidents, etc.

WemblinFool18

Reaction score
Ohmywow I am sooooo super jealous! I wanna see that movie so bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!