MIA: Bear in the Big Blue House

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
With the revival of the Muppets in this new movie The Muppets I thought of the other Muppet production that belongs to Disney that no one seen in the past few years either.
Bear in the Big Blue House was cancelled. But still Disney bought it with the Muppets in 2004 from JHC.
If it had been cancelled then I don't really know why Disney even bought the rights to it, maybe they had hope in it. But now, The Bear in The Big Blue House is a lost show. Only Muppet fans like us know about this show.
I remeber a BITBBH show in DisneyWorld years ago. My first time going to Disney was in 2004 and I think that's the year I saw it, which is also the year that the Muppets and BITBBH was sold to Disney.
I don't really understand the decision of Disney to just dump BITBBH.

KirbTreelo05

Reaction score
It hasn't been said exactly what has stopped Disney from picking BitBBH up again, but from what I've read, the situation is complicated. Disney still cared about Bear despite the show being cancelled; there was the spin-off "Breakfast with Bear". It didn't last very long, but they actually had tons of things planned for the project:
"Breakfast with Bear" is the first new entertainment initiative launched by the Muppet Holding Company. Along with "Breakfast with Bear," the brand will be supported with additional initiatives, including Internet content, live theatre shows, and a new merchandise rollout. (http://www.laughingplace.com/News-ID10022950.asp)
Like most of us here, I hope that Disney will revive the characters again in some way. Especially with the show moving to Disney Junior's channel in February and the success of "The Muppets".

(Speaking of which, I was a little bummed that there wasn't a character cameo or at least a reference made in the movie. :C That would have be awesome. Maybe in the next one?)

Drtooth

Reaction score
The biggest challenge of getting Bear back on television is what Playhouse Disney/Disney Junior is right now. Dora-esque shows featuring Disney characters. Unless a very obvious change in programming comes, I don't see how something gentile and classic Sesame Street/Fraggle Rock like would fit in. I'd hate to see Bear turn into a cheap CGI show where they constantly ask where the blue triangle is for 30 seconds until sitting around, answering their own questions.

Bear was a very special show... there seems to be a small paradigm shift in preschool programming away from Dora type shows, and more towards things like Wow Wow Wubzy and Curious George... something a parent or caregiver can watch without getting totally plastered first. If they can just catch that vibe on Disney, we could at least see some old episodes reran, along with the animated New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (Pooh Corner would be too much a stretch).

KirbTreelo05

Reaction score
I'd hate to see Bear turn into a cheap CGI show where they constantly ask where the blue triangle is for 30 seconds until sitting around, answering their own questions.
Ugh, so would I... >_< If anything, some live-action shorts for the new channel would be nice.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
(Speaking of which, I was a little bummed that there wasn't a character cameo or at least a reference made in the movie. :C That would have be awesome. Maybe in the next one?)
I wasn;t sure if Fozzie's Cha Cha Cha thing at the end of the Moopet Rainbow Connection was a reference to BITBBH.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
I miss Bear too! I'm gearing up to get a good-sized set of the DVDs to introduce Bear & friends to my little Boy. The only Bear stuff I've got now are Ojo and Tutter plushies, but they're great! Ojo seems to be nearly life sized, purchased at my Disney Store way back when BITBBH was really BIG, ha ha. I never got a Treelo though, IMO the most Muppety looking character on the show, and so crazy!! Ha ha.

Anyway, until I get my DVDs, I'll be showing old eps to my Son on YouTube. We watch older kids shows on there from time to time, and he loves the Muppets, so I know he'll be a big fan of Bear too. :smile:

Cheers! Great thread Muppet Fan!
:big_grin:
Anthony