Michael Earl Workshop in NYC on 3.27.2010

shtick

Reaction score
**Mistake in title. Not 3.27.2010. It was 3.26.2010

Hey,

Just wanted to talk about my experience at the Michael Earl Workshop I went to last Friday.

Michael's way of teaching had a baby step approach which was great because it allowed us to progress rapidly within the short time we had to learn. At the beginning it was hard to work with a monitor, but by the end of the day everyone seemed to not mind it so much. I cannot stress enough how amazing it was that I went from totally despising the monitor, to being fairly comfortable with it! He covered a wide range of techniques and sandwiched them between group practice runs to apply what we learned. We each got to take turns working on the techniques and got small pointers from Michael on what we needed to refine.

Everyone else there was really cool as well, and we all laughed and had a good time. (Amongst the group was Pasha from ProjectPuppet who I chatted with for a bit. Really cool guy.)

I highly recommend taking one of these one day workshops if you can. Michael teaches a series of practice exercises which will familiarize you with working with a monitor and puppetry in many many forms. He'll also season the conversation every now and then with a small anecdote or two about Jim, Frank and all the other people he's worked with which is really cool too. I would certainly take another class of his if it were a level 2 type of thing. All in all, a fun and educational experience!

Shick :smile:
(a.k.a. Dave)

P.S.
Does anyone else from the Friday workshop visit this forum.