Michael Jackson's This Is It Movie

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Ok so my mother treated me to the movie of Michael Jackson's This Is It last weekend at a cheap movie theather and I was looking forward to it. But truth be told, and I do hate to say this speaking as a Michael Jackson fan and all, I wasn't that impressed by it. Bascailly it's a movie of what could of been. When you're watching this movie with Michael-a super talented man-well you're not watching him at his best. You're just watching him going over his songs and dance steps. I mean this was all stuff that was never meant to be seen by the viewing fans and I think their is a reason for that. Honestly while I was watching the movie, I felt like I was watching a bunch of "bonus featues to his movie" instead of the movie itself.

Don't get me wrong, there were some points of the movie that was high points. Like when Jackson would really nail a number and the vision effect for numbers like "Smooth Criminal," "Thriller" and "Earth Song" were amazing and a lot of fun to watch. Plus from a personal point of veiw I devolped a crush on the female blonde guitar player in the band, I play the guitar myself and I find it super hott when a grown female plays the guitar, especially really well like she did (also a bit off topic here, but she also reminded me of one of my characters I created).

Plus if you were wanting to see this movie hoping to get a bit of "insight" into Jackson's personal life, well...this isn't the movie for you. A case can be made that idea has been done a few times over with other movies and books, most famous the Martian Bashir documentry "Living with Michael Jackson." But I was kind of half hoping to see a bit of that, myself, and there was none of that.

Overall, I won't tell anyone they should see this movie of course. But I don't really feel it delivers to the Jackson fans. As for as a DVD release, for myself, I don't think I would get it right away. I would probably want til I found it at a used DVD store for a really cheap price.

On a scale of one to ten, one being awful and 10 being an amazing movie, I would probably rate this movie a 6.5.

Just my opinion, everyone has one, :smile::wink::wisdom:

SSLFan

Reaction score
Oh yes, I saw it. I thought it was very well. I would give it an 8.0 out of ten. You're right, it wasn't Michael at his best, but I wasn't expecting him to be, since it was only rehersals at the time. I was sort of bummed he didn't really do the 'moonwalk' while rehearsing for Billie Jean lol.

My favorite parts had to be They Don't Care About Us, Human Nature(my favorite song of his) and the new Smooth Criminal vid he added in.

Overall, it was okay. It felt a little rushed though since dude JUST died 5 months ago. I would have waited at least a year...maybe more, to release this. It's just a tad too soon. But what do you expect,It's from $ony right?

Lol j/k on the last sentence.

But yeah, decent movie and a good overall tribute to the King of Pop.

Yorick

Reaction score
I didn't see "This Is It" yet, but even though "Living with Michael Jackson" had some great moments with Michael, I did NOT like the way Bashir said terrible things about him in the TV version of the documentary after making Michael feel comfortable by praising him. To learn what I mean, I suggest people see the behind the scenes special (about "Living With Michael Jackson") where they use Michael's footage of the same moments with Bashir. On Michael's unedited tapes, Bashir is clearly complimenting him much more saying, "I'm sure you [blah blah blah]! Absolutely!" with warmth and smiles. A far cry from the TV version where he says, "Clearly, Jackson wasn't..."

He seems like a back stabber :frown: And sorry, I don't know the name of the behind the scenes special, but I saw it on a music channel.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Though I do enjoy some of Michael Jackson's songs ("ABC", "The Love You Save" and "I Want You Back" from the Jackson 5 days- "Smooth Criminal", "Bad", "Beat It", "Billie Jean", "Thriller", "Are You Gonna Be There?", "Black or White" and by far his best ever song- "Man in the Mirror"-I love this one because it actually makes a good spiritual point; it's not anyone else, but it's me, oh Lord- standing in the need of prayer.:super:)
But I must say this- every time I see the title of his movie, "This Is It"- I keep hearing the line, "Make no mistake"...:sing::big_grin:

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I didn't see "This Is It" yet, but even though "Living with Michael Jackson" had some great moments with Michael, I did NOT like the way Bashir said terrible things about him in the TV version of the documentary after making Michael feel comfortable by praising him. To learn what I mean, I suggest people see the behind the scenes special (about "Living With Michael Jackson") where they use Michael's footage of the same moments with Bashir. On Michael's unedited tapes, Bashir is clearly complimenting him much more saying, "I'm sure you [blah blah blah]! Absolutely!" with warmth and smiles. A far cry from the TV version where he says, "Clearly, Jackson wasn't..."

He seems like a back stabber :frown: And sorry, I don't know the name of the behind the scenes special, but I saw it on a music channel.
You pretty much messed my point on why I bought that up. I just used that as an example on Michael Jackson the man behind the entertainer. Which I thought this movie was going to do as well.

Anyway back on topic of the movie. I honestly just feel like this was a way to pretty much cash in on his death, which is pretty sad, :sympathy:

Kiki

Reaction score
I went on the opening night with my brother (who bought two tickets but his friend couldn't make it), and I enjoyed it. We're both fans, but my brother's a much bigger fan then myself. I found it really intresting... but there wasn't much of Michael as a performer, IMO. But... wow... the amount of effort that goes into those things! The special effects... the eeverything. It had it moments, I enjoyed it, but I know where you're coming from, JJandJanice. And not fer someone who wants an insight into the personal life of Jacko, which I suppose is rather refreshing, too.