Mighty Mouse The New Adventures FINALLY coming to DVD

Drtooth

Reaction score
Really!

After what seemed like forever waiting for some good cartoon DVD news (sifting through lame Food and Travel Network shows, obscure 1970's sitcoms that were on 5 episodes, and obscure British shows was getting soul crushing) I get the biggest and best news of all. This cult Mighty mouse series is finally getting a DVD release... no wonder why they were all pulled off youtube (after being there for 2 years without complaint, mind you)...

Not only that, but it means that A Mighty Mouse project is actually getting an official DVD release.

I hope that A) this DOESN'T mean that terrible sounding Mighty Mouse movie IS happening and B) we'll see other official Mighty Mouse releases (including the Filmation series) and C) we'll see other official Terrytoons releases.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Yep- I saw this too. Nice to see some classic cartoons getting released to DVD (and Mighty Mouse is very classic- but it seems there hasn't been much, if anything, official for the character until now.) And with Ralph Bakshi doing the animation for this '80s gem, you know it's good stuff.:big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm just happy they're actually acknowledging Mighty mouse at ALL. I remember several years ago a couple stray T-shirts and a bobblehead. Other than that the only DVD releases were those terrible dollar disks with the 2 public domain Mighty Mouse cartoons, and that one lousy "Heckle and Jeckle" public domain cartoon.

I really hope this gets them to open up the lost Terrytoons vault and give us other shows like James Hound and The Mighty Heroes.

muppets2

Reaction score
this is nice another classic cartoon dvd to add to my collection:crazy::smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I just realized something...

Will the Flower sniffing scene in "the Littlest Tramp" be left untouched? I refer, of course, to the infamous segment in which MM sniffs a crushed flower, and it was speculated that it was cocaine by a certain religious "leader." I'd tend to think that more adult fan collectors would love to see it uncut, and I doubt any children would even know or care about this set.... so who are they protecting?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I loved this series.

I'm so glad it's coming out. I doubt they'll cut things out this time around. We're all grown-ups now and those particular extremist religious leaders are either deceased or frowned upon in most circles.

Were there drug references? Maybe. It is Ralph Bakshi after all. But would kids pick up in the subversive humor - NO. And Teletubbies aren't responsible for the terrorist attacks either.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Were there drug references? Maybe. It is Ralph Bakshi after all. But would kids pick up in the subversive humor - NO. And Teletubbies aren't responsible for the terrorist attacks either.
I remember reading an interview with Ralph, and he was LIVID about the whole thing. he state a point that it wasn't even supposed to be a mild reference, and that Mighty mouse was sniffing it like Popeye sniffs spinach. I watched it a while ago, and you can really see what the real problem was... when he sniffed, large white motion lines were painted on the frame, giving the misrepresentation of white dust.

That said, I can't wait to get this collection and see how many episodes John K and Ralph use for a soapbox about how they hate modern cartoons... there are at least 2 of them... Don't Touch that Dial and The Ice Goose Cometh.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Hmm- well, hopefully no cartoon aimed at children would even hint at encouraging drug use- but honestly this sounds like the same sort of stupid claims people make about Scooby-Doo and Shaggy. And even if you could try to read that in there, I'm sure with Mighty Mouse and most other cartoons, it would still go way over the heads of most children.

I do seem to recall hearing something regarding this though a while back- hadn't heard the Teletubbies were responsible for terrorists though. Perhaps they use that for training to endure torture when captured.:wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hmm- well, hopefully no cartoon aimed at children would even hint at encouraging drug use- but honestly this sounds like the same sort of stupid claims people make about Scooby-Doo and Shaggy. And even if you could try to read that in there, I'm sure with Mighty Mouse and most other cartoons, it would still go way over the heads of most children.
The only drug use I've ever seen hinted at in a kid's show had negative connotations, and was basically used for public service, anti-drug purposes... and even then they get banned! There was that case of the episode of Buzz Lightyear where Mira was addicted to passing through large energy forces... and by the end it was pretty much killing her. A good message that got bogged down by the very same watchdogs they were trying to please.

The Mighty Mouse segment in question was not even hinted at one, and was just a case of reading too far into something, making it something else. I personally have watched this a year back, and I wish I took a picture of it... it was all due to the large white motion lines.

That said, here's a couple fun facts about Mighty mouse: The New Adventures:

John K and Ralph were NOT pitching a Mighty Mouse cartoon... there was another show they pitched which got turned down... Paramount pretty much gave them the Mighty mouse idea (they said that they were sitting on the rights, and wanted to do something with them), and that show was done instead. Here's the interesting bit... the show that got turned down was THE REN AND STIMPY SHOW! :smile:

There's an episode in which they have a parody of Alvin and the Chipmunks that has a biting, almost nasty inside joke. Years ago, Janice Karmine (the wife of Ross Jr.) would walk over her dog to... do its business at a studio where John K and Ralph were working. This was occurring. one day, the dog was hit by a car... to celebrate, the Elwee and the Tree Weasles episode (Mighty's Benefit Plan) was narrated by a flat dog called "Mashy the Pup."

Xerus

Reaction score
John K and Ralph were NOT pitching a Mighty Mouse cartoon... there was another show they pitched which got turned down... Paramount pretty much gave them the Mighty mouse idea (they said that they were sitting on the rights, and wanted to do something with them), and that show was done instead. Here's the interesting bit... the show that got turned down was THE REN AND STIMPY SHOW! :smile:
I read in a cartoon magazine that during the 80's, networks didn't want original ideas. They only wanted cartoons based off toys, movies, sitcoms, and remakes of old cartoons. And that's what brought on Mighty Mouse, the New Adventures.

And I really loved the, Don't Touch that Dial, episode a lot. Where Mighty Mouse ends up getting lost in spoofs of other cartoons like the Jetsons, Flintstones, Scooby Doo, Mr. T, Bullwinkle, and the Real Ghostbusters. The weird stuff that happens in this cartoon or any of the new Might Mouse cartoons showed that this went way beyond other Saturday Morning cartoons.