Mildred/George performer question

Frozann

Reaction score
Muppet Wiki says, "During the first season of The Muppet Show, all of Mildred's appearances were onstage, most frequently with George the Janitor in At the Dance sketches, where she was performed by Frank Oz.".

But how? George the Janitor was also performed by Frank Oz. Did he perform them both at the same time?

Dearth

Reaction score
Yes, that was the 'trick' to At the Dance, usually the couples were being performed by one puppeteer. That's how they danced so smoothly.

Sometimes a voice would be dubbed, but lots of times you can hear that both characters are voiced by the same performer.

Alex

Frozann

Reaction score
Wow, I didn't know it was practised. Thank you for explanation :smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Sometimes a voice would be dubbed, but lots of times you can hear that both characters are voiced by the same performer.
I wonder if it's always the same performer in some instances when dancing pairs are voiced by the same person. There have been times when one or both dancing partners would move their hand or hands... Anybody know of any instances where one performer performed two characters at once while one of those characters hands were being operated by another performer?

A few instances where I suspect dancing pairs are not just performed by the same person:
  • Any time where Dr. Teeth and Mildred are dancing. The two are holding hands and extending their arms a bit far... Considering the size difference between character arms I don't think their arms could be out like that without being below the camera.
  • The Jean Stapleton episode, where Bunsen dances with a mouth-less character. Bunsen moves his left arm on his own a little bit. Unless his dance partner was attached to Bunsen and had no physical performer underneath.
  • One that seems a bit complicated to figure out... In the Rich Little episode, Animal is dancing with Mary Louise, who is also performed by Frank oz in this scene (Jim Henson performed her when she danced with Kermit in the Twiggy episode). Animal falls, and Mary Louise moves her arms as she leaves. Then Animal (who is actually suffering) tries to get help from Miss Piggy, who is dancing with a male pig... It actually looks like Miss Piggy's dance partner is just attached and isn't being operated by a performer... And Miss Piggy karate chops Animal while still having her hands on her dance partner.

Dearth

Reaction score
Good examples, but that's why I prefaced it as...

... usually the couples were being performed by one puppeteer.
Alex