Miles' First Word....Maybe

Gonzo

Reaction score
Okay.

So y'all know I have the cutest baby in show business, Mr. Miles Benjamin Chewbacca The Edge Glumboclutch Rollins.

He's almost 9 months old, and we're starting to get the beginnings of language out of him. He's been crawling for a while now, and he stands up and walks if he's holding onto something...but now it seems like he thinks he can talk.

The words we know he knows, but doesn't necessarily SAY: he knows "Daddy" and "Mama;" like if you say, "where's Daddy?" he swivels around until he spots me. Same with Mama. And he SAYS "MAMAMAMAMAMA" when he wants something, but we don't know for sure if this is asking for Melissa.

But there is a word he knows, and he says when he sees the something. The word he knows, and says, and is delighted about...

is..

"ELMO."

That's right. ELMO. You see, when he was just wetly fresh out of the womb, my dad's first present to him was one of those "My First Elmo" dolls that's very soft and safe for babies and all that. Melissa and I had been eyeing the "My First Cookie Monster," because we're classicists and prefer Cookie Monster to Elmo. Of course. But after Opa gave Elmo to Miles, we couldn't just junk him, because we live in the same town, and he'd find out. So Miles has a bond with Elmo. And he knows Elmo's name. And now he can say it.

Sigh.

I'm proud of him. I love it. And he's only seen Elmo on TV a few times, but gets VERY excited to see his friend talking and bouncing and singing and laughing. And I love Miles, so I sort of have to love his friend.

Awwww. Cute little guy. He can say "Elmo."

:big_grin:

Quinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

beaker

Reaction score
Sounds like things are off to a great start! hehe

But wait, 'Elmo' preceded everything else in language firsts? Wow.

Anways, so cool to see some parents on here! Especially knowing the Muppet genes are getting passed on:wink:

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
The "E" word

That would have to be one DAAAAAAAAAAAAAANG CUTE baby for me to have to tolerate utterin' the "E" word....:rolleyes:

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
The "E" word

Yep.

(freakin' double post...)

Oh yeah---congratulations on a word, Miles! Welcome to the world of speech! :smile:

GWGumby

Reaction score
Elmo? That's pretty funny. Our latest's first words other than Mama and Dada was Bye-Bye and Ball. Interestingly enough, those last two are actually pronounced exactly the same by him, but since he incoporates the hand motion with "Bye Bye" we can tell the difference. He pronounces them both "Bah bah bah bah"

So how does Miles actually pronounce "Elmo"? For such a simple name, I've heard some toddlers with some pretty strange ways of saying it.

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by Gonzo
"ELMO."
Congratulations on Miles first words Quinnnnn - however it might seem all warm smiles and baby drool now, but what happens when todays children all reach adulthood and are walking around the streets with painted red faces, furry hats and chanting 'Ellllllllmooooo, Elllllllmooooo' in squeaky voices. Remember they'll be the ones that have the power to put the likes of you and me into retirement homes ! :eek:

Gonzo

Reaction score
Originally posted by GWGumby
So how does Miles actually pronounce "Elmo"? For such a simple name, I've heard some toddlers with some pretty strange ways of saying it.
It's pretty distinct, actually--for a baby who doesn't have much experience with enunciation. It's basically "eh-mo" or "oh-mo," but every few times we'll get an actual "el-mo."

I'm really hoping he's not one of the kids that has a hard time saying L or S...with a name like Miles Rollins that could be pretty rough. Should we have thought of that beforehand? No. He should just learn how to talk early. And it looks like he's off to a good start.

Quinnnnnnnnnnnnn

radionate

Reaction score
Its a Muppet Fan's kid, no doubt about it.

Congrats Quinnnnnnnnnnnnn!

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Gonzo
It's pretty distinct, actually--for a baby who doesn't have much experience with enunciation. It's basically "eh-mo" or "oh-mo," but every few times we'll get an actual "el-mo."

I'm really hoping he's not one of the kids that has a hard time saying L or S...with a name like Miles Rollins that could be pretty rough. Should we have thought of that beforehand? No. He should just learn how to talk early. And it looks like he's off to a good start.
OMG I shouldnt read MC so late at night(ie: 4am) I had this strange dream where everywhere I went little babies in stollers or mother's arms were saying cryptic little messages to me. Noooooo!

Though that wasnt as bad as when Steve Whitmire cut his beautiful locks...that was just plain disturbing!