1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

MINDstyle to make 25th Ann. Fraggle figures!

Discussion in 'Fraggle Rock' started by Cosmic Cow, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Cosmic Cow New Member

Sorry if this has been posted already but I just came across it this morning on another site:

I love what they've done with The Dark Crystal so i'm anxious to see what they have going on with the Fraggles. :excited:
  2. frogboy4 Inactive Member

:coy: I am excited too. I hope they are affordable! The Dark Crystal figures were too expensive (and too stylized) for my wallet. It is nice that there's enough Muppety, Hensony goodness out there competing for our dollar! I suspect the Fraggle line will mimic Palisades' Muppets line; however do we know if they will be posable? Should they be? Hmmm. I am so glad the Fraggles are reemerging. Thanks for posting this news. I bet you the proto sculpts will be making the figure mag rounds soon. :excited:
  3. Luke Active Member

Vinyl Collectables? Were the Muppets figs vinyl then?

EXCITING NEWS!
  4. Drtooth Well-Known Member

MMmm... Not too crazy about hearing of Vynal figures. Will they be the smaller 10-15 dollar figures or those snooty artistic toys that cost over 50 bucks per? This sounds like a great idea, but if I can't afford them, then it seems like a moot point on my part.

No doubt these will be great anyway. I have a thing against those titanic $100+ ugly bear and wacky psuedo-Japanese looking toys. Though, being the hypocrite I am, I'd love to get the Gary Basemen ones (I'm a huge fan of his artwork, and I think Disney cheated everyone out of Teacher's pet toys). I like fun toys like the Muppet line, M.U.S.C.L.E.S., TMNT action figures, and random collectible PVC's of various cartoon characters and stuff like that. I hope these Fraggle toys have more of a feeling of those. And no doubt it sounds like they will.
  5. theprawncracker Well-Known Member

*falls over* WOW! This is shaping up to be QUITE the year for Muppet fans already!
  6. Erine81981 Active Member

What is this Vynal stuff? It sounds like something like an old plush action figure. Is that what it means or am i totally off. :excited:
  7. frogboy4 Inactive Member

Vinyl figures are kind of like the porcelain of plastic figures. Seldom articulated, but they can be very nice representations of characters. It's just a smooth plastic. The use of this type of vinyl plastic figure is common and attractive as long as the likeness is well done. Many times these items are limited edition and that hikes the price. I hope these stay under 30 bucks a piece. It just wouldn't be wise to price them like their $80-150 Dark Crystal pieces. That's ridiculous and cuts out the heart of the market.
  8. Fragglemuppet Well-Known Member

Yeah, affordability is my main concern, too. Has this company ever made inexpensive products? How about quality? How have their other lines looked, for those who have bought them in the past?

Yeah, all this muppety news, and it's still only February! It's like being a little kid at Christmas. I can hardly wait to go to sleep for wondering what new news I'll see when I wake up tomorrow!
    :smirk:
    :excited:
    :smirk:
  9. beaker Well-Known Member

Vinyl figures:
    www.kidrobot.com

I LOVE em myself, there's 3 stores in San Francisco dedicated to those kinds of toys, and several in LA Ive been too.

But yeah, as DrTooth has pointed out, "designer toys" cost a lot more especially the smaller the quantity.

The Kubrick Sesame and Muppet Kubricks were sold at these sort of places, but aside from the one of a kind Gobo Palisades prototype, this will be the first time we've ever had Fraggle action figures.

(and actually most vinyl figures are articulated)

But yeah, I can just imagine the crazy good news that will come for
    Muppet-Sesame-Fraggle-etc fans.
  10. frogboy4 Inactive Member

Which stores in SF? I'd like to check them out. I frequent some stores on a regular basis and know Urban Outfitters carries vinyl. My partner got me a Munny last year for a spontaneous gift.

Most vinyl figures I've seen aren't that articulated. At least not like the Muppet figures (not many toys are). Aside from a swivel joint here or there KidRobot's and MINDstyle's toys are pretty much handsome chunks of plastic. I think some fans think these figures will be Fraggle versions of the Palisades toys. I doubt that's the case as far as articulation. Not to say the sculpts won't be very nice, but they will likely not have the dozen or so joints, various materials and accessories that the Muppets line did. This seems to be a slightly different genre than many are used to. I hope to buy these in any form as long as they are attractive and affordable. :coy: :excited:
  11. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Yeah. I can almost picture them being more statute-like. Either they're sculpted in a fixed pose, or they'll just have a few small bits of articulation. Simple head, leg and arm stuff. It would be great to have them resemble the Great muppet figure line of ought2, but I highly doubt that it could. Heck, I'm still hopelessly optimistic we'll finally get a Sesame Street line in the future, dispite the SS line curse (every company went bankrupt except the one that decided to drop it).

I'm really holding out that these will be smaller, action figure sized things, instead of the 100+ bohemiths that usually are Vynal collectibles. I've seen Sababa Toys release Fat Albert Vynals and they cost only 13 bucks or so each. And even Japanese Super Mario Vynals cost under 20 bucks (and are only expensive due to rediculous import fees), while the larger ones are under 30.

If they are affordable, I will no doubt get as many as I can. But if they're really expensive, I'll pass and wait for someone to do a 25th anniversary PVC line up.
  12. Fragglemuppet Well-Known Member

Oh, I don't care about articulation. Price, and now that you mention it size, are the main issues for me. Oh well, maybe I can expect at least one for my birthday in April.
  13. Luke Active Member

I get what vinyl is now, its that shiny plastic figure stuff. yea they are usually more basic figures/statues. I'm still looking forward to them but i doubt they will be as detailed as palisades. Are vinyl figures hollow or is that rotacast?
  14. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Well, my experiance is that they are rotocast/hollow to some extent (the Fat Albert one has to be roto, cause a solid plastic version would weight a ton). It's a little softer than regular plastics, so there wouldn't be quite as much detail.
  15. beaker Well-Known Member

They are usually hollow, heres an example of popular vinyl action figures:
    http://www.kidrobot.com/products.cfm?&dept=TOYS&typ=KIDROBOT

I hope they are of the smaller size, low price variety.

Then again, while every Muppet fan is obsessed with "Palisades" size, I will always champion the 1978 Fisher Price/2003 Jack In the Box Muppet action figure size. I had virtually every Palisades Muppet figure and had to sell/give most away due to limited space issues.

Last we saw a flurry of Fraggle Rock merch was 2003, in where we had everything from Fraggle plushes bundled with dvds, doozer pvcs, and all sorts of Fraggle stuff. Im hoping that era comes back soon.
  16. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Ain' it the truth. Basically, I'm just really focused on collecting M.U.S.C.L.E. or Galactic Hero size stuff now. That's why I'm pushing for someone making a new set of PVC's as well.
  17. frogboy4 Inactive Member

Personally the size of the Fraggle figures isn't important to me. Neither is the articulation. :smirk: I always felt Fraggles should be shorter than they are when compared to Muppets (even though that is not really the case).

I remember pitching a vinyl doozer that could be customized like a Mr. Potatohead. There are such types of toys for all ages from Kidrobot at Urban Outfitters and they are a big hit. :busy:

They just need to keep the price down. I hope they do. A line of PVCs would kick butt too. :coy:
  18. Luke Active Member

I am also not worried about the size, its more price and materials that concern me. I'm not sure how nice they'll look in vinyl, it looks a bit cheap to me.
  19. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I wonder how big the Gorgs will be compared to the Fraggles. I gues they will be at least slightly bigger, and not mega sized. There haven't been very many Gorg toys at all.
  20. beaker Well-Known Member

You know what is absolutely HUGE right now?

Remember Battle Beasts? http://www.virtualtoychest.com/battlebeasts/battlebeasts.html

Well go to any toy store and you'll see Star Wars, Transformers, Marvel(Xmen, Spiderman, and all the Marvel properties), and now TMNT in almost exactly the same scale/style as Beast Wars.

The 2003 Sababa Doozer pvcs( http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Doozer_PVC_figures_(Sababa) ) are by far the best Fraggle Rock figures so far ever made.