Minor muppeyz' MT! outline: Phil Hartman

minor muppetz

Reaction score
here is my first outline for Muppets Tonight!, and my first outline featuring a dead celebrity. unlike my outlines for The Muppet Show, this one doesn't include a U.K. spot, but enjoy anyway.

Cold Opening/ Lobby
Sam is talking to Bobo about how wrong the show is when he sees Bill Clinton (actually, Phil Hartman doing a Clinton impression) coming into the theatre. he is pleased that the president is coming to watch the show, untill Clinton says that he likes to eat bald eagles for breakfast.

Introduction
Clifford says that the shows producers have been reading the fan mail and states that tonights show will not overly focus on the guest star, and then introduces Dr. Phil van neuter.

Opening Number: I Whistle a Happy Tune
Dr. Phil Van Neuter sings while Mulch scats on a set that has a field of pretty flowers. Dr. Phil tries to stay brave while being surrounded by flowers, bunnies (including Bean), a deer, and baby ducks.

Jail Cell
Statler and Waldorf watch the show from inside a prision cell. they were arrested for vandelizing a wall with innapropiate comments about the muppets.

Controll Room
The band tells kermit that they want to perform their own musical number in the show. kermit agrees, and looks for a hat to draw out names of acts to cancel.

Comissionary
Phil Hartman tells seymour and Pepe that he wants a hamburger, a salad, and some french fries. Pepe takes the order and tells seymour what to make. However, Seymour serves a hams booger, some carpet samples, and some flies. Phil scolds them for getting the order wrong, and Seymour asks, "How can an order be wrong?" Rizzo goes to the commissionary and tells Phil, Seymour and pepe that they are on.

Introduction
Clifford introduces the next sketch, "The Resturaunt".

The resturaunt
what just happened in the commissionary happens in this sketch as well.

Controll Room
Fozzie gets ready for his act.

Fozzies Act
fozzie starst telling jokes, and keeps getting heckled by udience members.

Controll Room
Kermit, Clifford, Nigel the Director, Sam the Eagle, Pops, and Bobo feel sorry for Fozzie.

Fozzies Act (Continued)
after the last three insults, Fozzie says that he was heckled by everybody in the audience, one at a time.

Jail Cell
Statler and Waldorf wish that they could have been in the studio audience.

Intoduction
Clifford says that before he was famous, Phil hartman was a contestant on a muppet game show called "To Tell a Lie". He shows a video clip.

To tell a Lie
Snooky Bloir is the host, and Phil hartman has to guess who is telling a lie: Bean Bunny, Digit, or Lew Zeland. Bean says that this is his favorite game show, Digit says that the show is rigged, and lew says that he has some electrical boomerang fish. the liar is Digit, but Phil thinks the liar is Bean.

Dressing Room
johnny Fiama rehearses for his big number, but kermit tells him that it's canceled so that the band can have their own big number. Johnny tells Sal to attack kermit, and Kermit runs.

(commercial break)

An Editorial by Sam The Eagle
sam The eagle: "I would like to say a few words about bathroom humor in entertainment today. When I was young, we didn't need to resort to using bathroom humor just to get a lauhg. No, it was bad enough that we could get laughs by getting hurt, and being racist, but bathroom humor is the nail in the coffin. bathroom humor is not funny! bathroom humor is... (suddenly farts real loud)". uh, excuse me... (is embarrased).

Jail Cell
Statler: back in our days we didn't resort to using bathrooms.
Waldorf: Back in our days we didn't have bathrooms.
(they laugh)

Commissionary
the muppets tonight band tries to write a song, but they are terrible at it. they try writing songs about ice cream, bricks, green, and clocks, and all are sung to the tune of the song "I want to rock and roll". seymour and pepe hate the songs, and even Andy and Randy think the songs are the stupidest things ever. The band decides to just perform a cover version of a song.

Hallway
Johnny confronts Sal in the hallway. Sal hasn't seen Kermit anywhere. Johnny has another idea.

Introduction
Gonzo and Rizzo introduce the muppets tonight band.

Song: I wanna Rock and Roll
The band sings "I Wanna Rock and Roll", and they succeed halfway through the song, but then Johnny enters the stage and sings a different song, "Pretty Woman". the audience boos them.

jail cell
Waldorf: back in our days, we didn't have bad television.
Statler: back in our days, we didn't have the muppets.
(they laugh)

Introduction
Clifford introduces Phil Hartman and his song.

Closing Number: Short People
Phil hartman sings to Pepe, Rizzo, camillia, and the babies. he closes the show after he is finished.

(commercial break)

Jail Cell
Statler and waldorf get out of jail, and sal gets put in jail (He found kermit, and beat him up pretty badly).

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
I like it! I like how "the restaurant" is a repeat of "the commissionary". And I LOVE the band's inability to write.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
TogetherAgain said:
I like it! I like how "the restaurant" is a repeat of "the commissionary".
just to make sure, you do know that the commissionary is the part of the building where the characters eat at, and not a sketch, right (sort of like a break room)?

TogetherAgain said:
And I LOVE the band's inability to write.
I thought of some lyrics for the songs they tried to write:

•i want my ice cream cone all white, my partys every day...

•I want a big fat brick all right, buy forty every day....

•I want to be all green, not white, don't party any day...

•I was a grandfather clock all night, and working every day....

What did you think about having Statler and waldorf in jail (not mentioned in the outline, but their punishment was to watch an episode of Muppets Tonight!)?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
performers

If you are wondering who is supposed to perform which character without a regular performer:

*Unless the Muppets Tonight band members did have regular performers (as opposed to being performed by whoevr was availible at the time), then they are performed by Jerry nelson (Jowls, the guy who whistled in the opening, since he performed Jowls in his only significant speaking part), Bill Barretta, Brian Henson, Steve Whitmire, and Dave Goelz. I can't remeber the exact number of musicians in the band, but i think it was five.

*in the opening number, the bunnies (besides bean) are performed by Dave Goelz and Jerry Nelson, the baby ducks are performed by Leslie Carara and Allan Trautman, and the deer is performed by Steve Whitmire.

*all of the main vocal performers (including Frank oz) perform audience members who heckle fozzie.

*the cop who lets statler and waldorf out of jail is performed by Kevin Clash, and the performer who puts sal in jail is performed by Bill Barretta.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
My favourite part is Statler and Waldorf watching the show in jail charged with graffiti.