1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Mirrormask DVD--Feb. 14

Discussion in 'Fantasy Worlds' started by DTWolf, Jan 24, 2006.

1. DTWolf

DTWolf Member

I don't see another thread mentioning this, but the Mirrormask DVD, according to Amazon.com (and I double-checked at BestBuy.com), is scheduled for a February 14 release date.

As close as that is, it seemed worth a thread here.

Amazon says extras include an interview with Neil Gaiman and some making-of featurettes.

If you weren't lucky enough to live in a place where ths movie showed up in theatres, it's worth a viewing. It's very surreal and has some good moments, although it's not like any other Henson production I can think of. It's not perfect (I was disappointed with a couple of really unoriginal plot points), but I'll personally buy the DVD, and not just because I'm a Henson completist.
  2. edible eye

edible eye New Member

Yea! Thanks for the info. I was one of the un-lucky ones who didn't get to see it yet.
  3. Valentine

Valentine New Member

Ah, Mirrormask...What a wonderfully artistic film.

What didn't you like about the plot points? What was unoriginal about it?
  4. AndyWan Kenobi

AndyWan Kenobi Active Member

I finally picked it up, and I can't wait to see it. Hooray for Henson, Gaiman, and McKean!

:)
  5. DTWolf

DTWolf Member

Reply with spoilers

The main thing was the [SPOILER ALERT] business about Valentine betraying Helena, regretting it, then turning around and saving her. I've seen that plotline play out a few too many times (for instance, Hoggle did this in Labyrinth; why repeat it here?). I feel like it's an artificial way to stir up some drama. It might not bother me so much if I didn't know that the people involved with the movie are capable of doing much better. (I also thought the "What?" moment at the very very end was too obvious--the joke was too predictable--but that's nitpicking.)

Still I did enjoy the movie, and I guess I should be clear that in many other ways it was original and highly creative. The world, the characters, the creatures--I won't criticize those as being unoriginal!
  6. JaniceFerSure

JaniceFerSure Active Member

I bought MirrorMask today,never seen it before today,it's one of the most beautifully created films I've ever seen.The animation and drawings in it are incredible,the casting is well done.Made me cry several times from beginning to end at the beauty of it alone.I highly recommend MirrorMask to everyone who appreciates a good journey.
  7. TabascoGuy

TabascoGuy New Member

Great Movie

I saw it a week ago.

Jim Henson would have been proud if he had seen it.

Beautiful movie. :)
  8. TabascoGuy

TabascoGuy New Member

Wolf, I think that the movie reinvented the type of storyline you're describing.

If you think about it, it's not so much the story as it is how you tell it and what kind of style you have in telling it.

Dave McKean & Neil Gaiman are brilliant and I am glad that The Jim Henson Company was involved with the conception of the movie.
  9. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

hey gang,

I got the dvd Mirrormask (along with Goof Troop and Golden Girls S4 dvds) for my b-day last friday (feb 24). Its was ...ahhh.... kinda diff. Thos cat thing with he human face's creeped me out man! :concern: lol. Tho i was a little upset by it, thought there would be some puppets in it like DK and Labyrith but its mostly CGI. But I did liked it a lilttle bit. not what I thought it would be, i perfur DK and/or Labyrith over it tho! ;)
  10. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

I'd love to see this...any news on it's coming to the UK?
  11. Chris Von Count

Chris Von Count New Member

I bought the DVD this past Friday after I had gotten off from work, and on Saturday my day off I sat down and watched it.

I was very pleased with the way the movie was writen I am a big Neil Gaiman fan of his (Sandman) comics, and his novels. After Helena slips into her dream state everything rushed at me like how Neil would imagen it just all forelorn, and magical, twisted, and inspiring.

And of course the Jim Henson company also deserves a big round of applause, with work on the many critters of that world. I rarely buy DVDs first w/o having watched them prior to perchase because a friend of mine told me he had bought it and said he had liked it as well, but I knew with the Henson company creating the characters, and Neil Gaiman writting the storyline I knew it was going to be a great treat.:)
  12. Kimp the Shrimp

Kimp the Shrimp Active Member

ok i watched great visiauls great story
  13. crazed gonzo fa

crazed gonzo fa Active Member

I heard this movie supposed to be a sequeal to Labyrinth in a way. Can some one explain how they are connected(if they are connected)?
  14. Valentine

Valentine New Member

One connection I saw while watching Mirrormask was the juggling thing that David Bowie (although it isn't him, who is it?) does in Labyrinth is brought back during the opening circus scene...

Besides from that, Mirrormask is not a continuation (nor sequel, for that matter) to Labyrinth...

I hope that makes some sense and answers your question. :)
  15. crazed gonzo fa

Thanks for your help
  16. Valentine

Valentine New Member

your welcome :)
  17. AndyWan Kenobi

AndyWan Kenobi Active Member

We finally got a chance to watch this movie last night, and I liked it. It was really unusual. I'm a big fan of Gaiman/McKean, and (naturally) a big fan of the Jim Henson company, so I was sort of predisposed to like it. I'll have to watch it again before I really know what I think, because there were parts that were quite different from what I expected, but I'm glad I finally got a chance to see it.
  18. Davina

Davina Member

we'd known very little about it (other then there was a henson movie out there that was going to be very artistic and Gaiman was involved...) weren't able to see it in theaters, but i picked up the dvd becasue we're Henson fans, and are rather fond of Neil's writing as well...
    I have to say, having watched it once (step son has stolen it and i haven't gotten back yet...) I wasn't sure what I was getting at first. It will definately take a few viewings to catch everything, but I did enjoy the visual effects, they were wonderfully done. "off" the norm just enough to really make them stand out. I, too, found the little cat things kinda creepy, especially when they ate the books!! I really did love the concept that books could have the kind of power they were given in the story.
  19. quixotic

quixotic New Member

I can't see how you guys and gals being Henson fans fail to see the obvious connections between this and Labyrinth, they are all but too blatant and in some respects dare I say insulting. Good film for a up to date fantasy fix, visuals blow you away etc etc, but for me the comedy didnt work, the acting not fantastical enough, and the general gist of the story frankly unoriginal.

Yes it had amazing characters due to it's labyrinthesque, Gaiman and Mckean imagination but to be quite honest I'd been looking forward to this for months before it was released, the trailer even enticed me! It was all a bit too much of a let down. The previosu poster was right about the unconvincing actions of Valentine, there was no motivation for a betrayal as compared to Hoggle in Labyrinth who was threatened with what you could compare to with death. One of the only benefits for me was in seeing how they might have changed Labyrinth if they had made it today because I just couldnt separate the two films, they simply have too much in common, but I won't spoil that for people who haven't seen it.

Of course I will buy it when it comes out here in the UK in June, to support this type of film, but I expected more diversion from its over baring influences, I mean throughout it's creation all Gaimen and Mckean did was sit in a room surrounded by Labyrinth props, art and watched the film again, they even got Trevor Jones approval of the script, how much more Labyrinth can you get?

Mirrormask in fact came about because of the companies ideas to recreate the triumphs of the Henson films in the eighties. Dark Crystal was to get a sequel and Labyrinth to get a face lift in something 'new.' Well frankly I would have preffered it if they were more honest in their intentions. Henson, when making Labyrinth sited many works as inspriation for it, including Oz, Alice in Wonderland etc, but it worked because their influences were of a a wider spectrum, one major film as an influence of your film is going to show, regarless of them tiping the main characters needs upside down. (you will understand if you have seen it)

For people who dont believe me, read this well informed girl here:

http://www.oddpla.net/mirrormask/mm-and-labyrinth/ripoff.html

I'm sorry to rant as many people love this film, and if being younger, seeing this before Labyrinth then I will have fallen in love with it, and cudos for trying to give this magic to younger kids. But for the insulted Labyrinth fan in me, there we no excuses.

Sigh, Exhale and deep breath(!)
    It's alright I'm calm now.
  20. crazed gonzo fa

When I first saw the trailer, I have to admit I wasn't too interested. I've finally rented it. Even though I'm only an hour into it, I describe it like someone else did- truly an astonishing experience. It's like watching an abstract painting come alive.