Mirrormask DVD--Feb. 14

DTWolf

Reaction score
I don't see another thread mentioning this, but the Mirrormask DVD, according to Amazon.com (and I double-checked at BestBuy.com), is scheduled for a February 14 release date.

As close as that is, it seemed worth a thread here.

Amazon says extras include an interview with Neil Gaiman and some making-of featurettes.

If you weren't lucky enough to live in a place where ths movie showed up in theatres, it's worth a viewing. It's very surreal and has some good moments, although it's not like any other Henson production I can think of. It's not perfect (I was disappointed with a couple of really unoriginal plot points), but I'll personally buy the DVD, and not just because I'm a Henson completist.

edible eye

Reaction score
Yea! Thanks for the info. I was one of the un-lucky ones who didn't get to see it yet.

Valentine

Reaction score
Ah, Mirrormask...What a wonderfully artistic film.

DTWolf said:
...I was disappointed with a couple of really unoriginal plot points...
What didn't you like about the plot points? What was unoriginal about it?

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I finally picked it up, and I can't wait to see it. Hooray for Henson, Gaiman, and McKean!

:smile:

DTWolf

Reaction score
Reply with spoilers

Valentine said:
What didn't you like about the plot points? What was unoriginal about it?
The main thing was the [SPOILER ALERT] business about Valentine betraying Helena, regretting it, then turning around and saving her. I've seen that plotline play out a few too many times (for instance, Hoggle did this in Labyrinth; why repeat it here?). I feel like it's an artificial way to stir up some drama. It might not bother me so much if I didn't know that the people involved with the movie are capable of doing much better. (I also thought the "What?" moment at the very very end was too obvious--the joke was too predictable--but that's nitpicking.)

Still I did enjoy the movie, and I guess I should be clear that in many other ways it was original and highly creative. The world, the characters, the creatures--I won't criticize those as being unoriginal!

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
I bought MirrorMask today,never seen it before today,it's one of the most beautifully created films I've ever seen.The animation and drawings in it are incredible,the casting is well done.Made me cry several times from beginning to end at the beauty of it alone.I highly recommend MirrorMask to everyone who appreciates a good journey.

TabascoGuy

Reaction score
Great Movie

I saw it a week ago.

Jim Henson would have been proud if he had seen it.

Beautiful movie. :smile:

TabascoGuy

Reaction score
Wolf, I think that the movie reinvented the type of storyline you're describing.

If you think about it, it's not so much the story as it is how you tell it and what kind of style you have in telling it.

Dave McKean & Neil Gaiman are brilliant and I am glad that The Jim Henson Company was involved with the conception of the movie.

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
hey gang,

I got the dvd Mirrormask (along with Goof Troop and Golden Girls S4 dvds) for my b-day last friday (feb 24). Its was ...ahhh.... kinda diff. Thos cat thing with he human face's creeped me out man! :concern: lol. Tho i was a little upset by it, thought there would be some puppets in it like DK and Labyrith but its mostly CGI. But I did liked it a lilttle bit. not what I thought it would be, i perfur DK and/or Labyrith over it tho! :wink:

Beauregard

Reaction score
I'd love to see this...any news on it's coming to the UK?