Mirrormask DVD--Feb. 14

Chris Von Count

Reaction score
I bought the DVD this past Friday after I had gotten off from work, and on Saturday my day off I sat down and watched it.

I was very pleased with the way the movie was writen I am a big Neil Gaiman fan of his (Sandman) comics, and his novels. After Helena slips into her dream state everything rushed at me like how Neil would imagen it just all forelorn, and magical, twisted, and inspiring.

And of course the Jim Henson company also deserves a big round of applause, with work on the many critters of that world. I rarely buy DVDs first w/o having watched them prior to perchase because a friend of mine told me he had bought it and said he had liked it as well, but I knew with the Henson company creating the characters, and Neil Gaiman writting the storyline I knew it was going to be a great treat.:smile:

crazed gonzo fa

Reaction score
I heard this movie supposed to be a sequeal to Labyrinth in a way. Can some one explain how they are connected(if they are connected)?

Valentine

Reaction score
One connection I saw while watching Mirrormask was the juggling thing that David Bowie (although it isn't him, who is it?) does in Labyrinth is brought back during the opening circus scene...

Besides from that, Mirrormask is not a continuation (nor sequel, for that matter) to Labyrinth...

I hope that makes some sense and answers your question. :smile:

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
We finally got a chance to watch this movie last night, and I liked it. It was really unusual. I'm a big fan of Gaiman/McKean, and (naturally) a big fan of the Jim Henson company, so I was sort of predisposed to like it. I'll have to watch it again before I really know what I think, because there were parts that were quite different from what I expected, but I'm glad I finally got a chance to see it.

Davina

Reaction score
we'd known very little about it (other then there was a henson movie out there that was going to be very artistic and Gaiman was involved...) weren't able to see it in theaters, but i picked up the dvd becasue we're Henson fans, and are rather fond of Neil's writing as well...
I have to say, having watched it once (step son has stolen it and i haven't gotten back yet...) I wasn't sure what I was getting at first. It will definately take a few viewings to catch everything, but I did enjoy the visual effects, they were wonderfully done. "off" the norm just enough to really make them stand out. I, too, found the little cat things kinda creepy, especially when they ate the books!! I really did love the concept that books could have the kind of power they were given in the story.

quixotic

Reaction score
I can't see how you guys and gals being Henson fans fail to see the obvious connections between this and Labyrinth, they are all but too blatant and in some respects dare I say insulting. Good film for a up to date fantasy fix, visuals blow you away etc etc, but for me the comedy didnt work, the acting not fantastical enough, and the general gist of the story frankly unoriginal.

Yes it had amazing characters due to it's labyrinthesque, Gaiman and Mckean imagination but to be quite honest I'd been looking forward to this for months before it was released, the trailer even enticed me! It was all a bit too much of a let down. The previosu poster was right about the unconvincing actions of Valentine, there was no motivation for a betrayal as compared to Hoggle in Labyrinth who was threatened with what you could compare to with death. One of the only benefits for me was in seeing how they might have changed Labyrinth if they had made it today because I just couldnt separate the two films, they simply have too much in common, but I won't spoil that for people who haven't seen it.

Of course I will buy it when it comes out here in the UK in June, to support this type of film, but I expected more diversion from its over baring influences, I mean throughout it's creation all Gaimen and Mckean did was sit in a room surrounded by Labyrinth props, art and watched the film again, they even got Trevor Jones approval of the script, how much more Labyrinth can you get?

Mirrormask in fact came about because of the companies ideas to recreate the triumphs of the Henson films in the eighties. Dark Crystal was to get a sequel and Labyrinth to get a face lift in something 'new.' Well frankly I would have preffered it if they were more honest in their intentions. Henson, when making Labyrinth sited many works as inspriation for it, including Oz, Alice in Wonderland etc, but it worked because their influences were of a a wider spectrum, one major film as an influence of your film is going to show, regarless of them tiping the main characters needs upside down. (you will understand if you have seen it)

For people who dont believe me, read this well informed girl here:

http://www.oddpla.net/mirrormask/mm-and-labyrinth/ripoff.html

I'm sorry to rant as many people love this film, and if being younger, seeing this before Labyrinth then I will have fallen in love with it, and cudos for trying to give this magic to younger kids. But for the insulted Labyrinth fan in me, there we no excuses.

Sigh, Exhale and deep breath(!)
It's alright I'm calm now.

crazed gonzo fa

Reaction score
When I first saw the trailer, I have to admit I wasn't too interested. I've finally rented it. Even though I'm only an hour into it, I describe it like someone else did- truly an astonishing experience. It's like watching an abstract painting come alive.