1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Misheard Song Lyrics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AndyWan Kenobi, Dec 6, 2003.

1. AndyWan Kenobi

AndyWan Kenobi Active Member

So, then Daniel is actually the Rocket Man! :eek:
  2. APRena

APRena New Member

From Chelsea Dagger (The Blackhawks song, dadodo dadodo dadodododododo...)

Actual: "Gave me gear/Thank you dear/Bring your sister over here/Let her dance with me just for the h*ll of it."

Heard: "Give me gear, shoot a deer, bring assistance over here, let their dogs sniff me just for the h*ll of it." (At first I thought it was 'whip' instead of 'sniff', but THAT just wouldn't make ANY sense now would it...)
  3. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

I've been on a huge Cyndi Lauper kick lately and have been listening to all my Cyndi albums i haven't heard for awhile...and remembering lots of misheard lyrics from when the songs first came out including...

GIRLS JUST WANT TO HAVE FUN:
    "I want to be the one to walk in that sun" heard as "I want a bigger one to walk in the sun"

ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT:
    "Until it ends there is no end" heard as "Until we dance there is no end"

SHE BOP:
    "Be Bop. Be Bop-a-loo Bop." heard as "Be Bop. Be Bop and Lou Bop" which i thought was about Lou Albino who was appearing frequently in her videos.

GOONIES R GOOD ENOUGH:
    "And maybe you're out of place" heard as "Any maybe you're unemployed"

...and here's some non-Cyndi Lauper ones:

Duran Duran's NEW MOON ON MONDAY:
    "New moon on Monday and our fire pants through the night"

RAINBOW CONNECTION:
    "The lovers, the streamers and me"
    "Have you been athletes and have you heard voices?"
  4. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Okay, here's the other one I meant to mention...

The Coasters' "Charlie Brown"
    The Real Lyrics: "Who's that goofin' in the hall?"
    What I heard: "Who's that poopin' in the halls?"

I'm serious.
  5. bazooka_beak

bazooka_beak Active Member

You know that "I'm Blue" song? I thought he was saying "I'm in need of a guy!" XD
  6. Gelfling Girl

Gelfling Girl Active Member

I went to a "Name That Song" Jeopardy/"Misheard Lyrics" game program recently, and there were several, including:

Misheard Lyric: "I kissed a squirrel and I liked it, the taste of its cherry chopsticks"
    Real Lyric: "I kissed a girl and I liked it, the taste of her cherry chapstick"

ML: "I can see the noses in her chair"
    RL: "I can smell the roses in her hair"

ML: "Dirty deeds done with sheep"
    RL: "Dirty deeds done dirt cheap"

Also, I can't remember what the misheard lyrics were, but the lady (about 40-ish) running the program was rather surprised that I got the title line of The J. Giles Band's song "Centerfold" right without using the "multiple choice" option.
  7. APRena

APRena New Member

Okay, you have no idea how much those two made me laugh. Bestiality LULZ.
  8. Gelfling Girl

Yeah. Although later when I was taking a quiz with misheard lyrics, the second one used the words "done by sheep" instead of "with". Not quite as funny. :p

Also, I used to have a Radio Disney CD that included "The Saga Begins", Weird Al's parody of "American Pie". Considering that I've never seen Star Wars, nor did I know anything about it when I was a toddler, I got a lot of lyrics wrong with names and places.
  9. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

In the song "Dynamite Rave" (in the game Dance Dance Revolution) I mishear the title lyric as "dine on my face." "Afronova," from the same game, has an unintelligible refrain I hear as "Come on, I want a little chicken pot pie!"
  10. dwmckim

Opening lines of Pet Shop Boys' "Did You See Me Coming?": You don't have to be in Who's Who to know what's what/You don't have to be a high flyer to catch your slot"

First time i heard it my jaw dropped as i thought he sang "to catch your ****" (i.e. Avenue Q's Lucy)

In Tears For Fears' "Break It Down Again", there's one line that i can't say how i misheard it on a family forum (an expression that's a simile that involves a part of the anatomy) - but in between mishearing and the way he shouts the line out, i can never listen to the song with a straight face.

And this may also qualify for the Obsessed Muppet Fan thread but everytime i hear No Doubt's "Spiderweb", after Gwen sings about screening her phone calls, it always sounds to me like she's breaking out into "Mahna Mahna"
  11. Gelfling Girl

I found this one on a quiz last night:

"Michelle, ma belle, some say monkeys play piano well, play piano well..."

The real lyrics are in French or something.
  12. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Here's a couple more on my behalf...

Band's "The Weight"
    The Real Lyrics: "Take a load off Anny / take a load for free / take a load off Anny"
    What I Heard: "Praise the Lord for Manny / praise the Lord for me / praise the Lord for Manny"

And now here's one that apparently I wasn't the only one who misheard these lyrics...

Bob Seger's "Drift Away"
    The Real Lyrics: "Gimme the beat boys, and free my soul / I wanna get lost in your rock and roll / and drift away"
    What We Heard: "Gimme the Beach Boys and free my soul / I waana get lost in your rock and roll / and drift away"
  13. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

Hit 'n' Slap:
    Actual lyric: Comin' at'cha!
    What I heard: Call me nachos!

Be Lovin':
    Actual Lyric: Everyone's hypnotized!
    What I Heard: Jerkwads in the sky!

The Time Warp:
    Actual Lyric: But it's the pelvic thrust...
    What I heard: But it's the perfect trust...
  14. Gelfling Girl

Here's a few lines of a song, try to spot the misheard lyrics:

Don't go breaking my heart.
    I couldn't if I tried.
    Oh, honey, if I get arrested
  15. dwmckim

LOL! That's EXACTLY what i originally thought the words were myself!
  16. Gelfling Girl

LOL, and maybe it's just the version I have on my iPod (it's a live version, but either way it's still Elton and Kiki), but whenever I hear it, it's hard not to hear those lyrics on that line. (Gee, thanks, Dad, for getting those lyrics stuck in my head :rolleyes:)
  17. MLR930

MLR930 New Member

In Michael Jackson's "Man In The Mirror" I thought it was "no mustache could have been any clearer" I still sing it that way
  18. Gelfling Girl

Someone on American Idol just now was singing "Candle in the Wind", and my mom was convinced they were singing the wrong lyrics, so she got my music book of Elton John songs and looked it up. Turned out the singer was right, but here's her misheard lyric:

Real Lyrics: "And they set you on the treadmill."
    What She Heard: "And they said, 'You are the treadmill.'"
  19. dwmckim

Since Elton John's a popular one in this thread, i had often thought that in Benny and the Jets, the line "She's got electric boots" was...well something else.

(And the same misheard word is what i thought Annie was singing the first time i heard Eurythmics' Power to the Meek on the line "Bless these bones")
  20. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Oh wow, the question is what HAVEN'T I misheard over the years; I seem to be very good at that, lol.

Just off the top of my head I can think of Marvin Gay's rendition of "I Heard It Through the Grapevine."

The real line is: "People say believe half of what you see, son, and none of what you hear."

But I always heard it as: "People say believe half of what you see, some and none of what you hear." Which I always found rather confusing, lol.