1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Miss Piggy as Princess Leia

Discussion in 'Action Figures' started by LeiaPiggy, Dec 11, 2003.

1. LeiaPiggy

LeiaPiggy New Member

2. Whatever

Whatever Active Member

Nice custom, but although you are allowed to make custums from Palisades figures, it is illegal to sell them.

3. LeiaPiggy

LeiaPiggy New Member

Thanks for the compliment, and yeah, I suppose eBay is selling...but mostly second hand goods...which is kind of what my figure is......re-furbished. I also do customs of Star Wars figures and the occaisional Barbie. Sorry, but I don't feel too guilty nor do I worry for Palisades, The Jim Henson Company or George Lucas....I buy and enjoy ALOT of their products. If they "go after" me, they might as well "go after" people who crochet Big Bird on baby blankets and sell them at flea markets for ten bucks!

4. jtatooine

jtatooine New Member

Is that true though? Are you positive it's illegal to sell?

I remember Ken said that Toyfare purchased a bunch of the exclusive gonzo's and then repackaged them in lunchboxes and resold them. He said something along the lines of 'they paid for them and they can sell them however they want'... He said anybody could package a figure a different way, hand number it and resell them for a lot of money. I would asssume the same laws would apply to repainting/resculpting a figure. I may be wrong though. Don't kill me if my quotes are off.

Edit: forgot to mention, it's a really nice custom.

5. Luke

Luke Active Member

Toyfare are a wholesale client, they buy the figures with the agreements to sell them on. A custom isn't "re-furbished", it's modifying a copyrighted design, especially when it's being re-sealed on Palisades original card with their sticker altered. Selling this for profit is very much illegal and these kinda auctions usually end quickly.

6. LeiaPiggy

LeiaPiggy New Member

Profit?

I paid $14.99 CDN ($11.00 US) for the original Piggy and spent about 20 enjoyable hours do her make-over. I made one for myself and two for others to enjoy. (Anyone can make their own, but if they do not have 20 hours to "waste" doing so, I've done the work for them.) And as for profit: at $35/hour (which is what my time is worth) this little Piggy would have to sell for $1400......that's the labor PLUS the 100% retail mark-up. This is a labor of LOVE..........NOT PROFIT!

7. Luke

Luke Active Member

That's so generous of you but I think it cost the company who made that original figure hundreds of thousands for the license, sculpt, manufacturing etc etc. I don't think that gives you the right to modify it, re-seal it in their package and sell it on. If you love the line and enjoy making customs great, but I don't see any great need to sell them. Actually, I think we have rules here against advertising this kind of merchandise.

8. jediX

jediX Active Member

I'd never part w/ any custom I've made--they're priceless to me. Nice job on the figure, though...

9. jtatooine

jtatooine New Member

I went back and couldn't find an actual quote about the Toyfare thing so I may or may not be wrong but I still think that it's not illegal to sell it. There are pages that sell custom action figures of any media character you want and because they aren't mass producing the same one, they can get away with it.

Once somebody pays for something why can't they alter it and resell it. I'd love to see the actual rules/laws on this, but I wouldn't know where to begin.

10. LeiaPiggy

LeiaPiggy New Member

Thanks Jedi X!

Thanks jediX! In the last year I've really got into customs, partly because of seeing all the cool ones on the net. It's sooooo rare to find them for sale though...(like you said, few will part with them!) That's why I made a couple more than the one I made for myself. On the RARE occaision I see a cool custom to purchase...usually Star Wars or Barbie....rarely see Muppet stuff....I buy it, otherwise, I try and make my own if I have the time.

PS Also, last time I checked, I was not some sort of economic terrorist trying to cripple the economy by making two custom toys to sell on eBay!

11. jediX

jediX Active Member

This has become quite an interesting debate...

Anyway though, I dont see why it's illegal to sell a custom. Maybe it could be seen as deceiving if it's in the Palisades package, but obviously everyone w/ half a brain will know it's not an "official" figure put out by Palisades. Palisades owns the MUPPET license, not the STAR WARS one.

Palisades has made their money from the sale, and I see it as no different than a comic shop-type situation where they mark the price up nearly double or triple (which isn't illegal, so why wouldn't this be).

I've seen TONS of Star Wars 3 3/4 figure and 12" customs on ebay before. If THOSE were as illegal as people are making customs out to sound, I doubt they would still be as common as they are. It's not like you're stealing Palisades' molds and making your OWN figures with them, thus cutting Palisades out of the loop. It's like selling used merchandise, per-say. You have damaged the original figure and are simply reselling it. If you can find hard evidence of illegality, let me know. ;)

12. LeiaPiggy

LeiaPiggy New Member

Oddly enough, JediX, I am sure there IS some sort of legality with regards to the selling of an item/image/figure/toy etc. that has a copyright/trademark. It's illegal to do alot of things in this world, but like I said in my PS to a previous post:

PS Also, last time I checked, I was not some sort of economic terrorist trying to cripple the economy by making two custom toys to sell on eBay!

When I was younger, I sculpted little clay figures of Sesame Street and Far Side characters and gave some to my nieces and nephew and sold some at a local flea market. Funny, the FBI did not break down my door Luke. There are more important battles worth fighting in this world.

13. ResidentLilly

ResidentLilly Active Member

As far as I know, there is no real legal precedent for things like this.

I mean, yeah companies will often contact someone and ask them to remove an item or threaten a legal action of some kind, but with eBay being as new as it is I don't yet know of any major cases that have gone through the system to establish any precendent.

Customs have got to be difficult to manage I would think...because legally one could argue a strong case either way.

I have no problem with it being sold...but I don't think it is particularly worth bidding on either. Now, you sculpt some actual clothes on there, repaint the hair and put it on a Star Wars card with an Artoo and a blaster or an interrogation droid and then you'd hook me!

14. LeiaPiggy

LeiaPiggy New Member

Thanks Palisades and Ken

Thanks Palisades and Ken

Wait a minute......I'm a rank amateur customizer.....you have access to get the "real thing" created! I would buy 2 of your suggested figure!!!! (hint hint)

15. jediX

jediX Active Member

Well, that is if they wanna fork over the ridiculous amount of money the Star Wars license probably costs--and since Hasbro has that I don't know if it would even be available. :smirk:

16. Luke

Luke Active Member

It's Palisades call obviously, but I don't buy any of the 'making it for the enjoyment of other people' crap. If you put something on Ebay you are hoping to make money from it. To then re-seal it in Palisades package and alter their sticker is pretty cheeky to me, i guess they try to be nice about it now but they have asked for things to be removed in the past. If it was really all about you doing this for the enjoyment of it you could just offer them to people at retail price on the forums, going the Ebay route IMO is cheap and tacky. I think there is a difference in how people (like Quinn or Artie) are seen here when they post about their customs as artwork, as opposed to people who are really trying to say "Hey come bid on my ripped off auction stuff". It's not some major crime but I do think it's pretty disrespectful.

17. jtatooine

jtatooine New Member

Which Star Wars card are you fitting all that onto? I guess you could rip apart any of the crummy deluxe figures. Except maybe that new Wampa.

18. Cap Backfire

Cap Backfire New Member

If you can do it, DO IT.

On the one hand, I have to say that selling customs on ebay is a tried and true method of making some dough. I have made a ton of dough on repaints of figures in the past (I am a Heroclix enthusiast; Read: ADDICT). I fully support this seller on his ebay bidding.

On the other hand, I will most certainly NOT be bidding on any of your customs. I do NOT agree with posting on a message board which you joined only to pimp your figures. Yes, it makes sense, but if you were a true fan, you would have joined awhile ago for the sole purpose of discussing muppet stuff.

I am with Jedi though and can't even consider selling one of my customs. They are far too precious to me.

Oh yeah, and dude, if I spent 20 hours doing a 4 hour job, I certainly wouldn't expect to be paid 35 bucks an hour to do it!!! I have an employee who takes like, 3 hours to mop the floors and then cries that he don't get paid so much... I gotta tell him what I tell you... Speed it up!!! If you did something within normal time lines, then MAYBE it would be worth that much an hour!!! 20 hours to sculpt some muffins over Piggy's ears... Sheesh. Ken can certainly agree that that's quite a bit of time... 20 hours...

19. jediX

jediX Active Member

He put it on the series 1 Muppet card.

20. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Aw, geez! I have this second Mahna puppet I made, too! I was gonna list it as "Mahna Muppet -Fan Art Cloth Sculpture," and even reseal it in a Palisades' box!

Just kidding about the box.

Luke, what would you say to me for that?

And what about the Penguin fan art cloth sculpture I was going to do?? :zany: