1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Miss Piggy build. 'Blanket Pig method'

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by FoxWorthy, Dec 30, 2016.

1. FoxWorthy

FoxWorthy Active Member

Hi all,

I'm finally building something that I hope is going to be a Miss Piggy.
    A year back, I built a practice head with blue foam for chair upholstery from Wal-Mart and hot glue. I used it as a test surface and tried some low grade home flocking which didn't turn out too well. I also built her eyes with circular blind spot mirrors from the dollar store, dollar store felt and fake eyelashes from Wal-Mart. I got busy with other things and put all of this stuff away in my cupboard. My next plan was to have a local sculptor make me a clay head, cast a mould from it, fill it with liquid foam, and then flock it but I just don't have time for this complicated route these days.
    Several months later, I was at the salvation army thrift shop and I happened along a queen size blanket that looked exactly like flocked Miss Piggy skin. I brought it home and tucked it away. It's like a spandexy kind of blanket with 4 way stretch to it...I will eventually post a picture of its tag.
    So I try to build something for me when I take time off for the holidays so the pig head is on my table! I've reworked my prototype and added the cheeks. To get the cheeks, I just cut the line for when they flow and popped them up...lifting them and hot gluing them in place.

[​IMG]

2. FoxWorthy

FoxWorthy Active Member

Then, just rounded them out.

[​IMG]

I covered her with the blanket and have been working on the stitching. The only thing that I did that you can't see is that I added some foam where her mouth meets her cheek to extend those areas on the sides of the mouth to hopefully get the flow properly. More pics coming...

3. FoxWorthy

FoxWorthy Active Member

I carved out where her eyes go...I think it helps set them in better.

[​IMG]

4. FoxWorthy

FoxWorthy Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've done more stitching since these pics so I will update again later.

Total costs for this so far has been less than $20 bucks! ;)

MikaelaMuppet and HunterPeeples like this.
  5. FoxWorthy

FoxWorthy Active Member

This puppet build is really just meant to scratch a personal itch of mine....that sounds wrong.
    My goal is to have a nice piece to display with my collection and to maybe have fun with now and then.

I also just simply need a pig and the good old $5000 plus price tag that some of us know of is simply not an option anymore so I will keep trying my 'blanket pig' method. :)

6. Smörebröd

Smörebröd New Member

Not too bad for your first try! I've never tried to build a puppet but I have a little atelier for building design furnitures and wooden sculptures. And what I can say is, that the first prototype always take a lot of time for building and also for getting the desired materials.
    There are always a lot of mistakes, too.
    When it is finished I'm often not really satisfied with it. But when I build a second one it goes on quite fast, because I know what to do, how to avoid mistakes and I already have the correct materials or know where I can get it.
    Keep on and don't worry to much when something goes wrong. It's always a process of learning and when you find the time and the will to build a second one, I'm sure it will be absolutely great! And do remember: There should be fun all the time! :)
    Keep on! Great Job up to now!

7. FoxWorthy

FoxWorthy Active Member

Thanks! You're right about second and third versions going faster but I won't have the time to do that until maybe next Christmas when I build something for me.

I finished the stitching last and it looks so good, I'm almost sad that I didn't use Antron fleece. Oh well, I'm sure if I had it would have started a new chapter of trying to find the right colour of fleece.

Speaking of colour, it is very hard to get a picture where the colour looks accurate. I find that the colour looks right to me when she is in front of me but looks a little different in the pics. Oh well...I guess the true test will be how she looks when she is completed.

8. FoxWorthy

FoxWorthy Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm happy with the progress and the extremely low price point.

9. FoxWorthy

FoxWorthy Active Member

Well, a huge mess on my table but I now have a bust!

Oof! All of my wild pig fantasies just came true!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Smörebröd

Smörebröd New Member

Wow... :zany: It's looking great!
    It's my very first time that I see the progress of building a puppet and it's really interesting! Thanks for sharing!
    Good Job!

MikaelaMuppet and FoxWorthy like this.
  11. FoxWorthy

FoxWorthy Active Member

Thanks!
    Tons of people want to build a Miss Piggy and the truth is that she is not an easy build; in fact, she is one of the hardest. I really hope that this method inspires others to try and build one. This method is very easy on the wallet. The hardest part is getting the shape of the head right. The snout, the lips, the mouth...it's tricky stuff but if you are handy with a glue gun, you can trim away the parts that you don't like and glue on some new foam to carve and shape.
    I will try to better explain how I got the head shape in a future post.

Her upper torso is skinned or blanketed. Next up will be her arms and lower body.

12. FoxWorthy

FoxWorthy Active Member

I've managed to stitch here wig in and I glued her eyes on. I had a 'Farrah Fawcett' wig in my drawer and it was the best candidate compared to the few others that I had.
    I put some blush on her but you can't really see it in the pics. I may need to get something a little more contrasting.

I am hoping to get her arms done next. I'm still undecided on her outfit.

Her mouth is a bit stiff, it won't open wide but that's my compromise, I guess.

Still happy with the turnout so far and it sit hasn't broken the bank! ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. FoxWorthy

FoxWorthy Active Member

Coming down the home stretch. I am aiming to have this pig completed by the end of the weekend as I have other work related builds to get back to.

I am loving my pig!

[​IMG]

HunterPeeples and MikaelaMuppet like this.
  14. FoxWorthy

FoxWorthy Active Member

Dressed! ;)

[​IMG]

15. FoxWorthy

FoxWorthy Active Member

Ready to take her place on my wall beside her 'Kermie'. More pics of that later on.

[​IMG]

16. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

She looks just like the real thing!

FoxWorthy likes this.
  17. HunterPeeples

HunterPeeples New Member

Where are the arm rods?

18. FoxWorthy

FoxWorthy Active Member

I gave her an arm rod on her left, it isn't in for the picture is all.

19. FoxWorthy

FoxWorthy Active Member

As promised, here is the blanket that I built this Miss Piggy from. I think my total costs were about $40.

[​IMG]

HunterPeeples likes this.
  20. FoxWorthy

FoxWorthy Active Member

In my Muppet world, Kermit and Piggy are together and happy. Their 'seperation' was just a publicity stunt! ;)
    [​IMG]