Miss Piggy's voice in TMM

dpurves

Reaction score
I read in a trivia book that Johnny Mathis dubbed Miss Piggy's voice in TMM. Is this true? It sure sounds like it's just Miss Piggy's regular voice singing, so I was pretty surprised to hear this. If he did, was her singing voice also dubbed in the other Muppet movies?

BEAR

Reaction score
dpurves said:
I read in a trivia book that Johnny Mathis dubbed Miss Piggy's voice in TMM. Is this true? It sure sounds like it's just Miss Piggy's regular voice singing, so I was pretty surprised to hear this. If he did, was her singing voice also dubbed in the other Muppet movies?

I have no idea, but I think I remember hearing something about Frank Oz being very uncomfortable doing the singing at first.

MWoO

Reaction score
Maybe that was the original plan, but it certainly soundsl ike Frank to me.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
the original recording

according to the Ask Henson section at the old henson.com, the song Never Before, Never Again was recorded with Johnny Mathis singing the song, but after it was recorded, Jim Henson decided that it would be funnier to have Miss Piggy sing it (and personally, I think it would have been weird for the movie to have only one song sung by a celebrity who didn't appear on camera). Johnny Mathis also performed this song in The Muppets Go Hollywood.

I wonder if the original recording by Johnny Mathis will be included on the upcoming DVD.

MWoO

Reaction score
Oh I see. So he did not dub in for Piggy, it would have been him doing the song. I thought it was suppose to be him doing Piggy's voice. For some reason I forgot that the entire song was a voice over.

BEAR

Reaction score
Sorry, but who is Johnny Mathis, anyway?

Stulz

Reaction score
Mathis

Johnny Mathis was crooner kinda like Sinatra, but without the Rat Pack mystique.

He still had many fans around the world from what I hear, and he was also a guest on Muppets Tonight!, In which he came and sang to Jonny Fiamma's mom after she kicked out Johnny and Sal's new girlfriends Daryl and Paige Hannah.

Yes, you read that correctly.

:smile:

BEAR

Reaction score
Stulz said:
Johnny Mathis was crooner kinda like Sinatra, but without the Rat Pack mystique.

He still had many fans around the world from what I hear, and he was also a guest on Muppets Tonight!, In which he came and sang to Jonny Fiamma's mom after she kicked out Johnny and Sal's new girlfriends Daryl and Paige Hannah.

Yes, you read that correctly.

:smile:

Thanks. The name sounded very familiar but couldn't put a face or voice to him.