1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Mister Rogers' Neighborhood Marathon on Twitch May 15-June 3, 2017

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Phillip, May 13, 2017.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Beginning this Monday May 15, Twitch will be live streaming 886 episodes of the iconic PBS series, “Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood” in consecutive order beginning with the show's black and white national debut in 1968 through the series finale in 2001.

The marathon will feature many episodes from the 1960s (that haven't aired in over 40 years) and early 1970s (that haven't aired in over 25 years). Since 2010, a selection of episodes have been available via Amazon, but this is the first time many of these episodes have been made available since they were last broadcast on PBS.

Even though 895 “Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood” episodes were produced, nine of the episodes will be excluded including the five controversial "Conflict" episodes about war from 1983.

“Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood” follows past PBS shows that have streamed on Twitch, including Bob Ross’ “The Joy of Painting” and Julia Child’s “The French Chef.” Twitch will also be running a fundraising campaign during the marathon to help support local PBS stations.

Twitch's live “Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood” stream will be accessible on-line beginning at noon pacific (2 pm central, 3 pm eastern) on Monday May 15, 2017. Additional mini-marathons will be streamed on Twitch in the future. Those dates will be announced in June after the 18-day marathon concludes.

Watch the live stream:
    https://www.twitch.tv/misterrogers

Read Twitch's press release:
    https://blog.twitch.tv/mister-rogers-neighborhood-marathon-7698fa3adf2b

Muppet fans remember Fred Rogers:
    http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/tributes/fred_rogers.shtml

“Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood” Episode Guides:
    http://www.neighborhoodarchive.com/mrn/episodes/index.html

[​IMG]

If you plan to watch “Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood” on Twitch please like this post and share your thoughts on the anticipated marathon.

Muppy and MikaelaMuppet like this.
  2. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

I'll be watching this for sure!

3. Muppy

Muppy Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting this OML this is great.

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  4. Blue Frackle

Blue Frackle Active Member

Hmmm... interesting; the Conflict episodes resurfaced to the public online a few weeks ago.

5. Phillip

Yes, the series of five "Conflict" episodes are currently on YouTube for anyone who'd like to watch them. They aired annually from 1983 until the mid-90s.

6. MikaelaMuppet

Forgot that this started at 3PM today in my time zone!

7. Phillip

Just a heads up, the first color episodes of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood will debut this morning on Twitch at around 9:30 central, 10:30 eastern.

Even though I've seen nearly all of the color episodes from 1969-2001, this is the first time I've seen most of these 1968 black and white episodes. What an amazing gift we've been given this month from the Fred Rogers Company and PBS.

Even if it didn't include every episode, just imagine a two-to-three week long marathon of classic Sesame Street. Hopefully, the Mister Rogers' Neighborhood marathon will be incredibly successful so that Sesame Workshop might consider this in the future.

8. MikaelaMuppet

That would be wicked nice.

9. Phillip

Some significant transition episodes will happen today as the Neighborhood of Make Believe is rearranged and Mister Rogers paints his house from tan to light blue. You can continue to watch the marathon here on Twitch through Saturday June 3.

10. MikaelaMuppet

Are these from the original broadcasts or are they reruns?

11. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I really haven't been watching, but I caught parts of the B&W episodes and quality-wise, that footage has held up really well.

12. Phillip

Even though the "Conflict" episodes debuted in 1983, it looks like these recordings are from around 1993-1996 based on the PBS branding.

13. MikaelaMuppet

Thank you! Looks like all of these may be from WGBH 2 in Boston, but I may be wrong about that.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  14. MikaelaMuppet

@Phillip, what happened to the videos?

15. Phillip

It looks like the Fred Rogers Company requested their removal. It's not surprising given all the attention the show is getting and that these haven't been broadcast on TV in 21 years while most of the post-1979 shows have.

16. MikaelaMuppet

What a real shame...

17. Phillip

18. MikaelaMuppet

Did anybody watch the Big Bird episode yesterday?

19. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

I remember reading that Carroll Spinney was supposed to take off the Big Bird head and show how he works the puppet, but he objected as he didn't want to ruin the magic for his audience. I think it was the right choice as that's really something that kids should best know when they're much older and willing to suspend disbelief.

Blue Frackle and MikaelaMuppet like this.
  20. MikaelaMuppet

I remember reading that as well.