MMW Reactions Theory

DarthGonzo

Reaction score
I don't see how anyone can blame people for comparing MMW against the first film. Aside from Segal, all the same people were behind both films and this one picks up directly where the first one leaves off. They make a big deal about it being a sequel and, with basically the same crew making it, I can't blame critics for expecting more of the same, and then getting disappointed when they got something different.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't see how anyone can blame people for comparing MMW against the first film. Aside from Segal, all the same people were behind both films and this one picks up directly where the first one leaves off. They make a big deal about it being a sequel and, with basically the same crew making it, I can't blame critics for expecting more of the same, and then getting disappointed when they got something different.
You CAN blame them for NOT doing the research and realizing that every Muppet Movie is different and they never (intentionally) made the same piece twice.

Which begs the question...what the heck were they expecting? You can't follow a big comeback film with another big comeback film. What are they supposed to do? Break up again? Then at the end make up again? Did they want another film where the Muppets needed Jason and Amy to hold their hands the entire time? These reviews were baffling. They didn't even hate the film, they were just mildly disappointed... which again is A MILLION times worse than something that's totally terrible. :rolleyes:

We got a different movie, the small quarter of critics that didn't like it didn't like it in comparison to the last film (with a blind obliviousness of the pacing and editing problems that plagued it) instead of the merits of the film for being what it was. And we have some overly influential people that are hanging on those small amount of slightly disappointed reviewers who somehow never seen a Muppet movie until the last one. Meanwhile, they ignore poorly reviewed trash that manages to make money (cough cough The Nut Job).

IMO that isn't a valid reason of why a movie is bad! If you don't like the voices that's one thing but I don't think they realize how long Steve has been performing Kermit. They act like he just took on the job a few months ago.
Listen... I can understand critics being elitists that hate everything, critics that get rubbed the wrong way by something substantial... but "Wrong Sounding Muppets" is the dumbest complaint about this movie. Like they weren't "wrong sounding" in the last one. I've lost all respect for movie critics. I really have.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Any of the biased morrons who hate this film, because there's no Jason Siegel and Amy Adams, they appear at the beginning digitally (or a cardboard cut) , so you can't complain 'bout that!

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Any of the biased morrons who hate this film, because there's no Jason Siegel and Amy Adams, they appear at the beginning digitally (or a cardboard cut) , so you can't complain 'bout that!

Actually, those are extras just dressed like them.

I actually kinda wish Jason and Amy made a cameo. You know, just to say something about the last take and walk off screen and never be seen again.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That's mjust mean. :cry: I just don't get it, Pinkflower. Going after performers just because their voices don't sound right doesn't make it okay. In fact, that reviewer is not showing respect to those Muppeteers.
Well they're critics; it's not their job to run a fansite. It's their job to give their honest opinion. They can't refrain from giving opinions just because it would hurt an actor's feelings. If all their reviews were all always positive it would just be Stepford.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
The ones I read weren't professional critics they were from people like you and me who claimed to be even bigger fans than us which IMO is a pretty tall order to fill. :stick_out_tongue:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Indeed. :smile:

I mean, for me, I can see it both ways. I'm not as interested in watching a non-Henson Kermit, and I don't apologize for that. At the same time, I don't say the new voices are "wrong." The writing is often what's wrong, lol. :wink:

fozzieisfunny

Reaction score
The 3rd best Muppet movie ever ( or maybe even 2nd) = Muppets Most Wanted

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well they're critics; it's not their job to run a fansite. It's their job to give their honest opinion. They can't refrain from giving opinions just because it would hurt an actor's feelings. If all their reviews were all always positive it would just be Stepford.
If the critics salvaged the film based on merits of what the film actually was, I'd understand. But basically panning it through disappointment that they'd dare do a goofy plot line instead of the emotionally manipulative story of the last film, and complaining that the film wasn't as human centered as the last one just goes to show how completely off the mark they are, and how almost completely ignorant of the source material they truly are. Heck, one bad review actually mentioned GMC. That's the most care put into reviewing the film negatively I've actually seen.