1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 18th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Christmas Shopping
    Support Muppet Central and get great deals for everyone on your list! From Blu-rays and DVDs to Plush and Toys to Collector's Books you'll find something for everyone.

4. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Moby Dick

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Old Thunder, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Old Thunder

Old Thunder Well-Known Member

But that same image, we ourselves see in all rivers and oceans.

MuppetsRule likes this.
  2. Censored

Censored Well-Known Member

Nah, he's going to stop any minute now.

Old Thunder likes this.
  3. Old Thunder

It is the image of the ungraspable phantom of life; and this is the key to it all.

MuppetsRule likes this.
  4. Old Thunder

Now, when I say that I am in the habit of going to sea whenever I begin to grow hazy about the eyes, and begin to be over conscious of my lungs, I do not mean to have it inferred that I ever go to sea as a passenger.

MuppetsRule likes this.
  5. Old Thunder

For to go as a passenger you must needs have a purse, and a purse is but a rag unless you have something in it.

MuppetsRule likes this.
  6. Old Thunder

Besides, passengers get sea-sick -- grow quarrelsome -- don't sleep of nights -- do not enjoy themselves much, as a general thing; -- no, I never go as a passenger; nor, though I am something of a salt, do I ever go to sea as a Commodore, or a Captain, or a cook.

MuppetsRule likes this.
  7. Old Thunder

I abandon the glory and distinction of such offices to those who like them.

MuppetsRule likes this.
  8. Old Thunder

For my part, I abominate all honourable respectable toils, trials, and tribulations of every kind whatsoever.

MuppetsRule likes this.
  9. Old Thunder

It is quite as much as I can do to take care of myself, without taking care of ships, barques, brigs, schooners, and what not.

MuppetsRule likes this.
  10. Old Thunder

And as for going as cook, -- though I confess there is considerable glory in that, a cook being a sort of officer on ship-board -- yet, somehow, I never fancied broiling fowls; -- though once broiled, judiciously buttered, and judgmatically salted and peppered, there is no one who will speak more respectably, not to say reverentially, of a broiled fowl than I will.

fuzzygobo and MuppetsRule like this.
  11. Old Thunder

It is out of the idolatrous dotings of the old Egyptians upon broiled ibis and roasted river horse, that you see the mummies of those creatures in their huge bake-houses the pyramids.

MuppetsRule likes this.
  12. Old Thunder

No, when I go to sea, I go as a simple sailor, right before the mast, plumb down into the forecastle, aloft there to the royal masthead.

MuppetsRule likes this.
  13. Old Thunder

True, they rather order me about some, and make me jump from spar to spar, like a grasshopper in a May meadow.

At least whale hunting is still illegal.

MuppetsRule and CensoredAlso like this.
  14. Censored

Censored Well-Known Member

Some people might be gone for awhale.

MuppetsRule and Old Thunder like this.
  15. CensoredAlso

CensoredAlso Well-Known Member

Lolol!

Censored likes this.
  16. Old Thunder

And at first, this sort of thing is unpleasant enough.

MuppetsRule likes this.
  17. Old Thunder

It touches one's sense of honour, particularly if you come of an old established family in the land, the Van Rensselaers, or Randolphs, or Hadicanutes.

And miss out on Moby Dick? Surely not!

MuppetsRule and ConsummateVs like this.
  18. Old Thunder

And more than all, if just previous to putting your hand in the tar-pot, you have been lording it as a country schoolmaster, making the tallest boys stand in awe of you.

Gabriel believed Moby Dick was his Shaker god.

MuppetsRule likes this.
  19. Old Thunder

The transition is a keen one, I assure you, from a schoolmaster to a sailor, and requires a strong decoction of Seneca and the Stoics to enable you to grin and bear it.*

*The Roman philosopher, dramatist, and statesman Lucius Annaeus Seneca (c. 4 B.C. - A.D. 65) was an adherent of Stoicism, a Greek and Roman philosophical school that advocated quietude through the control of the passions. Seneca calmly committed suicide at the order of the emperor Nero, his former pupil.

MuppetsRule likes this.
  20. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

Not because of Moby Dick.