Moby Dick

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Now, when I say that I am in the habit of going to sea whenever I begin to grow hazy about the eyes, and begin to be over conscious of my lungs, I do not mean to have it inferred that I ever go to sea as a passenger.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
For to go as a passenger you must needs have a purse, and a purse is but a rag unless you have something in it.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Besides, passengers get sea-sick -- grow quarrelsome -- don't sleep of nights -- do not enjoy themselves much, as a general thing; -- no, I never go as a passenger; nor, though I am something of a salt, do I ever go to sea as a Commodore, or a Captain, or a cook.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
For my part, I abominate all honourable respectable toils, trials, and tribulations of every kind whatsoever.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
It is quite as much as I can do to take care of myself, without taking care of ships, barques, brigs, schooners, and what not.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
And as for going as cook, -- though I confess there is considerable glory in that, a cook being a sort of officer on ship-board -- yet, somehow, I never fancied broiling fowls; -- though once broiled, judiciously buttered, and judgmatically salted and peppered, there is no one who will speak more respectably, not to say reverentially, of a broiled fowl than I will.