Mokey Fraggle highlights Delray puppet exhibit

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Puppet exhibit descends on Delray

By Meghan Meyer, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Saturday, December 6, 2003

DELRAY BEACH -- A vibrantly painted blue and green Pharaoh and a bejeweled princess crying pearl tears stare down at visitors from the walls of the Cornell Museum's "World of Puppets" exhibit.

But the celebrity of the group, the one in a protective plastic case, looks like a simple stuffed animal. Four-foot tall Mokey, a purplish Muppet from Jim Henson's short-lived but much-loved television series Fraggle Rock, looks so inviting that visitors run up to touch her.

"The parents are, like, flipped over Mokey," Museum Director Gloria ReJune Adams said. "We find more adults touching the puppets than kids. Kids know they're not supposed to touch things in a museum."

Mokey had her heyday in the early 1980s, when the young parents who bring their children to the exhibit were growing up. She was one of pioneering puppeteer Jim Henson's Fraggles, benevolent, Muppet-like creatures who lived in Fraggle Rock's underground caverns with the industrious inch-tall Doozers, stealing vegetables from the giant Gorgs and seeking advice from the oracle, Marjory the Trash Heap.

The Fraggles taught children a moral lesson about cooperation, the environment and peaceful coexistence in each episode.

The artist and philosopher of the group, Mokey fits in perfectly with the Cornell Museum's mission, Adams said. Like the puppeteers who use bottle caps, bleach cans and broomsticks in their designs, Mokey used found objects to make jewelry. In the museum exhibit, she wears a pull tab from a soda can as a necklace pendant.

In the model workshop upstairs at the exhibit, visitors can see the work of Dave Goboff, who also specializes in found objects. A computer programmer by day, Goboff and his 7-year-old daughter perform short puppet shows in their spare time, using feather dusters, plates and other castoffs.

"A puppet can be anything," said Goboff, president of the Puppet Guild of South Florida. "It's the performance that makes it a puppet."

The Cornell Museum's exhibit shows off more than 200 puppets from nearly every continent: bawdy burlesque puppets from Burma; cuddly Kumquat puppets from a German children's show; a sheep farmer shadow puppet from legendary Australian puppeteer Richard Bradshaw. One room has a nine-foot-tall Queen of Hearts, Mad Hatter and other characters from Alice in Wonderland; in a glass case outside stands a four-inch tall winged fairy dressed in white lace.

The museum and Crest Theater next door have scheduled intermittent shows and educational activities until the end of the exhibit Jan. 11. This weekend the theater plays host to the internationally acclaimed Cashore Marionettes.

Adams admits she was skeptical at first of an art exhibit featuring puppets, children's toys. Her perspective changed as she put the exhibit together. Though the United State's most recognizable puppets star in children's shows, around the world, puppet shows are for adults. Other cultures treat puppets more delicately and revere puppeteers as artists.

"I have a new respect for puppeteers," Adams said. "We tried to show puppets are more than toys. They're art."

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/auto/epaper/editions/saturday/martin_stlucie_f31d6560b14d5096000f.html

PukkaPukka

Reaction score
Wow! Niiiice article! Great find Philip!

It's nice to know that Fraggle is still around in some form (other than PVC and plush). I was just kinda curious as to if anyone was down in Delray at all to see the condition of the Muppet, and whether or not it looked to be in decent shape. Due that people have said that it was just the interiors really that could use work, maybe that's probably why (aside from the obvious fact that it was Henson material), she was in a plastic case...oh well...I'd really like to find out more about this Phil! Have you found any more info surrounding this? Thanks for posting!

>Adam

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's all I know right now Adam, but maybe someone in the area has more info. It would be great if someone could get a lot of pictures of the puppet at all angles.

PukkaPukka

Reaction score
True....As for me personally, I remember seeing a few angle shots of Mokey during Fraggle (photos - one was from below, one was an angled shot with Kathryn, that's all I can remember, but for the life of me, I can't remember where I saw them. I'm not going crazy right? Maybe I'm thinking of a group shot I saw on Karen's site (her original site)...hmm...but I do remember seeing a photo during production that was pretty descriptive in its own right....hmm...

>Adam

Foodie

Reaction score
Phillip Chapman said:
In the model workshop upstairs at the exhibit, visitors can see the work of Dave Goboff, who also specializes in found objects. A computer programmer by day, Goboff and his 7-year-old daughter perform short puppet shows in their spare time, using feather dusters, plates and other castoffs.

"A puppet can be anything," said Goboff, president of the Puppet Guild of South Florida. "It's the performance that makes it a puppet."
Dave GOBOff!!! What a name!!!

Man, I almost dread the possibility of seeing an actual Gobo puppet somewhere. I'd never want to leave. I'd prolly beg the museum folk to remove the case around him so I could photograph every fur on his orange .... fraggleness. I'd prolly pull a " Beatles fan " and try to take a piece of his hair. Yuk yuk yuk!

Nick :smirk: